By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wiiu RAM 43% slower than PS360 RAM

JazzB1987 said:
So whats the point in this DRAMA thread? The 360 ram was a bottleneck because it was small not because it was slow. Even IF the WiiU ram is "so slow" there is no problem. The WiiU can still support higher resolution textures everyone with a brain can see this....

Btw how did 17 magically turn into 12.8 or something? And its custom ram its not just standard PC ram noone knows how fast it runs.

It's not magically... the max speeds for the Samsung chip is 17GB/s (900Mhz) but Wii U uses the Hynix chips with max speeds at 12.8GB/s (800Mhz)... all the system have to works equal so the Samsung chips runs at slow speed (800Mhz) to match the Hynix speeds.

Wii U can support high resolutions textures... the problem is how fast it can load and work these textures in main RAM... the good part it have 32MB eDRAM to help to avoid this bottleneck.

Around the Network

Oh my, people really need to get a life.

So many gamers feel thretened by the new Nintendo console that they need to talk about such unimportant things as technical specs?

Try talking about games for a change.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

Faxanadu said:

So many gamers feel thretened by the new Nintendo console that they need to talk about such unimportant things as technical specs?

That's explain why all first game are 720p and have worst performance ports than PS360.

You mean the ports of games developed for last gen systems?

Do you guys really believe that system designers at Nintendo are retards that would fuck something like this up? Really? Do you guys really think that a bunch of high-schoolers / university students know it so much better than those professionals?

really funny stuff.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

People please! I'm not a tech guy at all. But if the Wii U is capable of producing in game hd Zelda demo graphic I am good with my Wii U. That's all I need to know.

Around the Network

The system is more or less a PS3/360 in a small and power efficient casing.

That's basically what Nintendo wanted, not a powerhouse graphics console.

Nintendo has some kind of phobia of releasing a console too big or one that draws too much power, even though they could always revise the system over time to become smaller/more power efficient like the PS3.

So when people are asking when did Nintendo use such slow RAM, it probably is not only cheap, but also consumes less power.

Faxanadu said:

Why are you threatened by technical specs? Why are you even posting if you don't care?

Some people want to know how fast the console is, other people don't. If you don't then I suggest you go here.

Tease.

If it would be only system memory I would say who cares, because using the slowest ddr3 compared to the fastest one has maybe less then 1% performance impact (on the pc).

But since its also the memory for the gpu I got little bit sceptical ...
I dont know how edram works or how its called, and if it can be a solution.
But I trust nintendo not to do utterly *beep* so it still will be fine hopefully.

ethomaz said:

I need to explain better to guys here.

The main RAM is slow, it's not fake, it's confirmed buy the chip specs (the Wii U uses either Samsumg or Hynix chips).. run at 12.8GB/s. That's a really bad bottleneck because with this slow main RAM it's impossible to render 1080p or even uses complex filters/textures in 720p.

So Wii U is weak? No, Nintendo resolved (or I expected that) this issue using a lot of eDRAM. The eDRAM could run at super high speeds over 100GB/s or more... so the eDRAM have to do miracles (and I hope so) so put the Wii U in the trails again.

How much the eDRAM help the Wii U to fix the main RAM bottleneck? It's impossible to know for now because there is no much questions about that eDRAM but I can say for sure the eDRAM did a good job.

What it changes for developers? Well the games needs do load assets and works more with eDRAM to avoid the low speed of the the main RAM... so the developers needs to change their games to do that.. so the lazy developers with lazy ports have a big issue here... games ported form PS360 sill sufer with low details and framerate issues in Wii U (eg. BLOPS 2, AC3, ME3, etc). But new games can be made using the power of Wii U (means eDRAM) to run better than the PS360 versions.

So the first-party exclusive games will use all the Wii U power but I don't expect third-party ports with complex 1080p gaphics soon, the third-party port will run worst in Wii U with framerate issues, sacrificing details on screen and less AA.

That's my opinion about the slow main RAM.

How does WiiU tech compare to PS3/X360 ones ?

Judging by the rumors of Orbis and Durango specs. Will WiiU be able to receive at least ports ?   Or we are looking at WII/PS360 gap here ?

zumnupy10 said:

How does WiiU tech compare to PS3/X360 ones ?

Judging by the rumors of Orbis and Durango specs. Will WiiU be able to receive at least ports ?   Or we are looking at WII/PS360 gap here ?

Wii U is more powerful than PS360... have more RAM and a better GPU but because the slow RAM you need to change the code to use wisely the super fast eDRAM... so direct ports from PS360 is set to have issues and low performance because the code uses the main RAM (slow in the Wii U).

If the developer uses the eDRAM then the Wii U can have better games (graphics wise) than PS360.

About the second question the Wii U can recevei ports but the developer have to spend more time to change the memory use to get better results with Wii U... and seems like PS4/720 is ready to put some good gap over it.

Seems like PS3 (I hope not)... fantastic exclusive games and bad ports because the lazy developers.