By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wiiu RAM 43% slower than PS360 RAM

dahuman said:
I was reading another thread and replied to that just now but I was overlooking something very important now that I replied to that thread. We have no idea what the memory latency actually is in the Wii U, because even at 800MHz, if the latency is low enough, it'd still be faster vs the 360 and PS3 in performance. o_O; Once again, not enough data, speculations will remain speculations.

according to the Samsung sheet "1.25ns (800MHz)" no idea what X360 and PS3 are tho. 

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Around the Network
Heavenly_King said:
Turkish said:

PCPer did a teardown. Great stuff... they actually read off the RAM chip (SMRT!). There's only 4 chips.

Samsung K4W4G1646B -> DDR3 4Gbit, 1.5V, 800/933/1066 speed bins -> I'm pretty sure that means "DDR3-1600/1866/2133" data rate.

256Mx16 would imply 16-bit I/O per DRAM... So... 17GB/s at most for main memory bandwidth. They didn't mention the rest of the numbers on the DRAM, but they ought to have high res photos later.

Wii U: 17 GB/s, separate eDRAM pool
 360: 22.4 GB/s, eDRAM for framebuffer
 PS3: 25.6 GB/s main memory BW, 22.4 GB/s graphics memory BW, no eDRAM

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1680114&postcount=3188

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=500362

You have to update the WiiU ram.   According to neogaf it is not even 17gb/s, it is.......12.8gb/s

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=44502005&postcount=1200

Damn, updating now. Thanks for notifying.

Turkish said:
Heavenly_King said:

You have to update the WiiU ram.   According to neogaf it is not even 17gb/s, it is.......12.8gb/s

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=44502005&postcount=1200

Damn, updating now. Thanks for notifying.

Because someone on the internet said it, it must be true ...

Surely you people should wait when real technical specs roll in, not just a lonely number.

And the headline is false at all, because the eDRAM is also RAM and much more and faster than on any console before.

as long as nothing is clear how the wiiu-system works in its entirety picking random specs and moan about them is ridiculous. slow ram can effect the power of the whole system for sure but doesn't need to destroy a system's performance. i think several people at nintendo, ibm and amd sat together and have put many hours in engineering this system - and some guys on the internet choose several parts, google them and try to infer performance-measurements...

Well, no company is perfect.

Around the Network

ahh right on queue .. more negative wiiU threads please!.. so we can all continue to convince ourselves that it is NO competition when the ps4/x720 finally comes out! .. sony fans and ms fans can sleep happy!

slow ram?.. fck that.. wiiU preorder cancelled!

perhaps sony fans want to fight back because of all the negative threads regarding vita? :)

how will this 12.8gb/s edram will effect games?

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
walsufnir said:
perhaps sony fans want to fight back because of all the negative threads regarding vita? :)

At this point in time people actually have a point in being negative about the vita.. Im mean how many chances has the vita had? lol almost a year out and still not selling not even just okay selling..

But hey Im not saying to stop the negative threads about every bit of wiiU news.. even the "made up" ones from anonymous people.. lol .. coz its entertaining watching the ps360 fans flip-out pretending to be potential buyers.. LOL!...

None of this threads really reflect real world sales anyway.. its just for entertainment purposes really haha! .. if wiiU is a fun product it will sell.. regardless of how slow the ram is.. or gpu.. or whatever else ppl on forums want to flip out about.. lol. If it is not fun.. it wont.. jus like uhm.. the vita. =)

games will look nice but, I'm just guessing. will it load textures slowly or something?

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5