By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wiiu RAM 43% slower than PS360 RAM

ethomaz said:
Viper1 said:
CPU is custom. GPU is custom. WiFi chip is custom. Power supply is custom. DSP is custom.

RAM is what?

In the RAM chip you can read the specific model name K4W4G1646B... I think it was custom Samsung may give it anoter model name.

Nintendo could have opted to choose this module for pricing. Then overclocked it so that it is still cheap but faster or as fast as more expensive memory.

Around the Network

Baron said:

Nintendo could have opted to choose this module for pricing. Then overclocked it so that it is still cheap but faster or as fast as more expensive memory.

That a possible but overclock always have issues (power supply, heat, erros, etc)... and even with overclocked the memory have low bandwidth with only 64 bits (4 modules x 16 bits).

Some mid/high-end GPUs uses the similar memory but with more modules like 8 modules x 16 bits = 128 bits or 16 modules x 16 bits = 256 bits.

Attoyou said:
Heavenly_King said:
ethomaz said:

Heavenly_King said:

Seems right lol, I wonder how the PS4 and 720 will be against cell XD

Vegitto pic

yeah I editted my post before reading yours.  I guess they would be different and yet capable of almost the same things.

PS4//720

Gogeta Vegitto

both rape cell

And for the PC fans reading this  I guess PC would be like this:

Goku SSJ4

Lets not get crazy now. 

should look something like this by end of next gen :

720 =

ps4 =

PC = 

Wii u = 

I wouldn't rule out the King of Games.  He's got those mind hacking powers.

The Anand (www.anandtech.com) thinks it is 800Mhz @ 64bits too.

"2GB DDR3 800MHz datarate, I believe with a 64-bit wide interface"

I'm excited to read the tech review in AnandTech.com... I have this site in high level of reliability.

Turkish said:

PCPer did a teardown. Great stuff... they actually read off the RAM chip (SMRT!). There's only 4 chips.

Samsung K4W4G1646B -> DDR3 4Gbit, 1.5V, 800/933/1066 speed bins -> I'm pretty sure that means "DDR3-1600/1866/2133" data rate.

256Mx16 would imply 16-bit I/O per DRAM... So... 17GB/s at most for main memory bandwidth. They didn't mention the rest of the numbers on the DRAM, but they ought to have high res photos later.

Wii U: 17 GB/s, separate eDRAM pool
 360: 22.4 GB/s, eDRAM for framebuffer
 PS3: 25.6 GB/s main memory BW, 22.4 GB/s graphics memory BW, no eDRAM

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1680114&postcount=3188

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=500362

You have to update the WiiU ram.   According to neogaf it is not even 17gb/s, it is.......12.8gb/s

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=44502005&postcount=1200

Around the Network
ethomaz said:

The Anand (www.anandtech.com) thinks it is 800Mhz @ 64bits too.

"2GB DDR3 800MHz datarate, I believe with a 64-bit wide interface"

I'm excited to read the tech review in AnandTech.com... I have this site in high level of reliability.

2GB DDR3 800MHz datarate = 12.8gb/s.  According to neogaf

You know what's funny?

All these people across the Internet playing arm chair developer crying about the Wii U's alleged 12.8 GB/s bandwidth all while ignoring the fact that actual real developers have praised the Wii U's memory scheme.

We've had a couple of anonymous devs talk about a slow Wii U CPU but none said anything bad about the RAM. Rather much the opposite wherein they have praised it.

So, where are all my "Wii U CPU is slow so it sucks" guys now? Where are you now that devs are saying the memory scheme is good? Refute that. Let's hear it.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Heavenly_King said:
So in Dragon Ball terms, how the PS3/360/WiiU Stand?

I don't know shit about Dragon Ball but, choose 3 guys remarkably close to eachother in terms of power. Seriously. 

Still need to wait for concrete info on CPU/GPU though before making any final judgement.

Oh but don't worry Wii U guys, remember these suckers?

Fuck yeah buddy. 

I was reading another thread and replied to that just now but I was overlooking something very important now that I replied to that thread. We have no idea what the memory latency actually is in the Wii U, because even at 800MHz, if the latency is low enough, it'd still be faster vs the 360 and PS3 in performance. o_O; Once again, not enough data, speculations will remain speculations.

Viper1 said:
You know what's funny?

All these people across the Internet playing arm chair developer crying about the Wii U's alleged 12.8 GB/s bandwidth all while ignoring the fact that actual real developers have praised the Wii U's memory scheme.

We've had a couple of anonymous devs talk about a slow Wii U CPU but none said anything bad about the RAM. Rather much the opposite wherein they have praised it.

So, where are all my "Wii U CPU is slow so it sucks" guys now? Where are you now that devs are saying the memory scheme is good? Refute that. Let's hear it.

I knew I wasn't being delusional.  All of a sudden people get the Wii U and take it apart, and start reporting a bunch of numbers saying the Wii U is "much worse" than the PS3/360, yet there are plenty of well-known developers already declaring that the Wii U is more capable.  Mostly anonymous devs saying otherwise.  

I really want to avoid being sucked into these things, as I have the Wii U and I really do like it a lot.