By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wiiu RAM 43% slower than PS360 RAM

ethomaz said:

zumnupy10 said:

How does WiiU tech compare to PS3/X360 ones ?

Judging by the rumors of Orbis and Durango specs. Will WiiU be able to receive at least ports ?   Or we are looking at WII/PS360 gap here ?

Wii U is more powerful than PS360... have more RAM and a better GPU but because the slow RAM you need to change the code to use wisely the super fast eDRAM... so direct ports from PS360 is set to have issues and low performance because the code uses the main RAM (slow in the Wii U).

If the developer uses the eDRAM then the Wii U can have better games (graphics wise) than PS360.

About the second question the Wii U can recevei ports but the developer have to spend more time to change the memory use to get better results with Wii U... and seems like PS4/720 is ready to put some good gap over it.

Seems like PS3 (I hope not)... fantastic exclusive games and bad ports because the lazy developers.

So once again, if you've been following Wii U news, the devs generally praised it based on latency, I'm hoping you understand what that means, if not, go here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAS_latency

Just because a piece of memory has lower bandwidth, it doesn't mean it's actually slower, we don't have enough data to say if it's actually slower, it all depends on what the CAS number is, and we don't have that number, so no opinion really matters. Not to mention that we don't even know what the memory controller actually is doing in the CPU, how customized is it? Is it single channel or dual channel? Nobody knows but Nintendo.

Around the Network

dahuman said:

So once again, if you've been following Wii U news, the devs generally praised it based on latency, I'm hoping you understand what that means, if not, go here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAS_latency

Just because a piece of memory has lower bandwidth, it doesn't mean it's actually slower, we don't have enough data to say if it's actually slower, it all depends on what the CAS number is, and we don't have that number, so no opinion really matters. Not to mention that we don't even know what the memory controller actually is doing in the CPU, how customized is it? Is it single channel or dual channel? Nobody knows but Nintendo.

The best case latency for Wii U memory is 5... it gives 6.25ns interval... great but not going to do miracle (even so I don't expect to Wii U use the best case... I think for mass production the 6 or 7 latency is a better choice).

So all really matter is how the 32 eDRAM can help the memory, or better, how the developers can use the eDRAM to avoid the slow main RAM... that's my point.

32MB eDRAM can help to archive 1080p but to do AA at the same time not... so for a complex game it have to be 720p.

The memory controller is a quad-channel 16bits (64bits real).

it might be slower RAM but it has 4x as much when compared to PS3/ Xbox, which should easily cover it

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

M.U.G.E.N said:
think-man said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
think-man said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
think-man said:
So does that mean the WiiU is worse? can't understand this sorry, didn't pay much attention in my hardware class lol

yes...well at least that's what I understood from reading the discussion over at gaf

:/ so if this is not as good as the ps3/360 now then how far behind will it be when the nextbox and ps4 are out? or is this not really a big deal?

keep in mind I'm no tech guy..so zarx or gaf would be a better resource for you on the subject. From what I understand however this is pretty bad. If the cpu related rumors are also true then this system truly can be on par or maybe slightly more powerful than the ps360. PS4/720 won't have to do much in order to get a significant leap over this.

Also graphic comparisons are coming out now for games like batman. I saw one comparison image that...I hope is doctored to bait others, cuz it looked pretty bad for wiiu.

That batman on the wiiU :/

haha so shiny

the pic i saw was also for batman...so who knows maybe it's a bad port job from the devs

You are also forgetting the Wii U version is called the Armored Edition. Batman is supposed to be wearing better gear of sorts, and it's easier to navigate his armory menus on the GamePad.

z101 said:
Turkish said:
Heavenly_King said:

You have to update the WiiU ram.   According to neogaf it is not even 17gb/s, it is.......12.8gb/s

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=44502005&postcount=1200

Damn, updating now. Thanks for notifying.

Because someone on the internet said it, it must be true ...

Surely you people should wait when real technical specs roll in, not just a lonely number.

And the headline is false at all, because the eDRAM is also RAM and much more and faster than on any console before.

Then we would be waiting forever. There's a reason Nintendo hasn't(and won't) reveal specs. The system is way too underpowered to be a next-gen system. This just wont' get good 3rd party support. The ports it already had are horrible.

Around the Network
Naraku_Diabolos said:
M.U.G.E.N said:

haha so shiny

the pic i saw was also for batman...so who knows maybe it's a bad port job from the devs

You are also forgetting the Wii U version is called the Armored Edition. Batman is supposed to be wearing better gear of sorts, and it's easier to navigate his armory menus on the GamePad.

actually the gamepad use is one of the most criticized aspects of the game. There's a thread on gaf comparing the ports and there's a lot of complaints about the framerate etc as well. 

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

VGKing said:
z101 said:
Turkish said:
Heavenly_King said:

You have to update the WiiU ram.   According to neogaf it is not even 17gb/s, it is.......12.8gb/s

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=44502005&postcount=1200

Damn, updating now. Thanks for notifying.

Because someone on the internet said it, it must be true ...

Surely you people should wait when real technical specs roll in, not just a lonely number.

And the headline is false at all, because the eDRAM is also RAM and much more and faster than on any console before.

Then we would be waiting forever. There's a reason Nintendo hasn't(and won't) reveal specs. The system is way too underpowered to be a next-gen system. This just wont' get good 3rd party support. The ports it already had are horrible.

The PS3 is still getting terrible ports but I always see posters complain about lazy devs. You can't have it both ways guys.

Faxanadu said:
Oh my, people really need to get a life.

So many gamers feel thretened by the new Nintendo console that they need to talk about such unimportant things as technical specs?

Try talking about games for a change.

Technical Specs are extremely important if you are even the slightest bit interested in technology.
Technical specs are the difference between getting 3rd party support or not.

M.U.G.E.N said:

actually the gamepad use is one of the most criticized aspects of the game. There's a thread on gaf comparing the ports and there's a lot of complaints about the framerate etc as well. 

Aren't they still having problems with UE3 on PS3 even after 6 years?   It's not surprising that the first Wii U games (farmed out to secondary studios no less) aren't running equally as well as on the other 2 consoles that have had 6 years of work on them.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Suddenly, we have so many computer hardware experts on VGC.
Nintendo sure is screwing up bad by paying a lot of money for old tech.