By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U: Miiverse will be 'a killer app', says Fils-Aime

NoA boss thinks social network is "a key differentiator" from the competition

Wii U's embedded social networking service will be a killer app for the system, according to Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime.

Dubbed Miiverse, it's an online forum for users to share thoughts, make friends, discuss games, swap notes, post doodles, as well as a whole host of other interactions.

"I think that it will pleasantly surprise people," Fils-Aime told AllThingsD.

"As the network grows and the installed base grows, it will prove to be a true killer application for the system, and I say this loving what we have done with Nintendo TVii and loving all the games. Until you try it and experience it, you may not totally understand it."

The executive went on to suggest Miiverse will be "a key differentiator compared to other companies in our space".

"People have to leave the current paradigm behind to understand what we are trying to do. Miiverse is going to be embedded right on the game platform, so literally some of the activity will be able to happen immediately as people experience it," he said.

Nintendo plans to hire a surveillance squad to manually monitor Miiverse posts.

The company has confirmed a Wii U release date of November 18 in the US, and a Wii U release date of November 30 in Europe. Nintendo has set the US Wii U price at $299 for the basic model, while the UK Wii U price will start at £230.

;

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/videos/e3-2012-wii-u-hardware-demo-y24GgPNB4zwG2

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/371277/wii-u-miiverse-will-be-a-killer-app-says-fils-aime/

Around the Network

I think it could, COULD, be pretty nifty. We'll see how Nintendo deal with it.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

i think it'll be pretty cool. definitely a more integrated community than on PSN

If Nintendo does the right things, miiverse could be big.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

Stefan.De.Machtige said:

There is no could. The fact that it runs at the heart of the system guarantees that it will.

Around the Network

While not as gung ho as lilbroex is, I agree that Miiverse is actually the battleground Nintendo has chosen for the next generation. This is a direct shot at XBLive. How it will actually pan out, I cannot say, but Miiverse is definitely going to be a lot bigger than anyone (except maybe lilbroex) believes.

Check out my Youtube Let's Play channel here.

I actually agree ...

On day one it doesn't offer much of a draw for people, but as the service grows and you know more people who have a Wii U it becomes a reason why people would want a Wii U; or to want to play a particular game on the Wii U.

lilbroex said:
Stefan.De.Machtige said:

There is no could. The fact that it runs at the heart of the system guarantees that it will.

Being a stable, build-into the system doesn't autmaticlly make it big.

O, it sure a huge potential, but it has to be sold with great features, maintenance and skill. And some factors which would decide that Miiverse would be big to even huge are not in Nintendo's control.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

This is bad news for forums like this one, if all future discussions and direct news info can be done directly in the device itself, why use a third-party forum?

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

I'm hoping they're going to integrate an updated version of Streetpass Quest but have your Mii taking part instead of your Mii needing to be rescued. Have it going the whole RPG route with classes, stats and levelling. I'm playing through StreetPass Quest for the second time and really like it.

Have Accomplishments earned in games allowing you to level up your character or earn currency to buy new weapons etc. Instant Win with Awesome Sauce.