By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - I think the 720 and PS4 will fail sales wise if there is no hook

I think the mass market will find the new consoles boring without a new control scheme or a new form of gameplay. I know gamers on forums love awesome graphics but the fact is the mass market could care less. Just look at the sales of the Wii and Nintendo handhelds. At least Wii U has the touchscreen gamepad and asymmetric gameplay. What new will Microsoft and Sony bring to the table?

Around the Network
OoSnap said:

I think the mass market will find the new consoles boring without a new control scheme or a new form of gameplay. I know gamers on forums love awesome graphics but the fact is the mass market could care less. Just look at the sales of the Wii and Nintendo handhelds. At least Wii U has the touchscreen gamepad and asymmetric gameplay. What new will Microsoft and Sony bring to the table?

games.......

Every platform has games but very few of them were successful.

I 100% disagree with the OP...I don't know what else to say

Nextbox will be a hit im sure. I remain unsure about the PS4 especially if it comes out in 2014.

Around the Network

Well Sony will most likely also be bringing touch controls and asymetrical gameplay as the are already doing so with PS3 and Vita. Aside from that cloud features. And I anticipate a PlayStation version of facebook to serve as the OS/friend interaction for the platform. Microsoft could potentially do that as well. Their new consoles won't be without something new and exciting.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

OoSnap said:

I think that hook won't matter if the fish don't bite and no one knows if they'll bite. Only fanboys give it for certain.

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

Halo, CoD and new third party releases every week of the year.

I'd love to see how a no-gimmick console does. I imagine the same as if it had one but higher profit margin for not using cutting-edge tech.

@pezus

Well, sales wise the 360 and PS3 failed to sell as much as the PS2 or PS1. They did not even come close. I don't even think combined PS3/360 sales surpass the PS2 sales. Let's not forget both got outsold by a console that lacked major 3rd party support but had an innovative hook.

I just don't see the mass market buying a new Sony or Microsoft console that will likely be $350+ with nothing innovative to appeal to them.

I think it is very dependent on were cloud gaming, android and iOS go.If the competition brings the heat, and allows games like GTA, Fallout, Madden, COD, ect. to be played from many other devices, at near identical levels, then they could struggle.

IMO next gen will be even more about exclusives than this one. Without dynamite exclusives it could be very difficult to move consumers to a platform.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL