By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Who here on this site is poor? Who on this site are rich?

Conegamer said:
I don't make any money at all, and the household income is around £3000 ($4000) a year, but I don't consider myself 'poor'. Why? Because I save up whatever little I get to buy what I want, and do what I like. Your thread is just upsetting.

I think you need to realize this thread is offensive. You think that people really are going to say if they are poor? No. If you really think $30000 a year is poor, you seriously need to rethink the way the world works, even in 1st world countries.

That really is quite an ignorant post. There are many parts of the world where $30,000 a year would see you either borderline homeless or at the very least requiring significant government or charity assistance just to survive. $4000 a year in many cities of the 1st world would see you living in a cardboard box and eating out of trashcans.

Around the Network
gravewax said:
Conegamer said:
I don't make any money at all, and the household income is around £3000 ($4000) a year, but I don't consider myself 'poor'. Why? Because I save up whatever little I get to buy what I want, and do what I like. Your thread is just upsetting.

I think you need to realize this thread is offensive. You think that people really are going to say if they are poor? No. If you really think $30000 a year is poor, you seriously need to rethink the way the world works, even in 1st world countries.

That really is quite an ignorant post. There are many parts of the world where $30,000 a year would see you either borderline homeless or at the very least requiring significant government or charity assistance just to survive. $4000 a year in many cities of the 1st world would see you living in a cardboard box and eating out of trashcans.

Exactly, but in many other parts of the world, that amount is more than sufficient. And the $30k would propel you far into the upper class. 

That's why you can't just say 'below x amount is poor', because it's just not true even nationwide.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

I would be considered working class because of my mums job and because I live in a council flat, but I would definitely not consider myself poor. I live to the same standard as my middle class friends.

My mum is on about £100k a year, and my dad is on about £40k a year. I made £900 in the past 2 weeks for a Summer job. Upper middle class?

man-bear-pig said:
My mum is on about £100k a year, and my dad is on about £40k a year. I made £900 in the past 2 weeks for a Summer job. Upper middle class?

Definitely, unless you live in central London... £900 for a Summer job is mighty fine! 

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Around the Network

Still living with my parents, I believe they both make over €5000 a month.

I don't have any income but I have shares in many companies.

When you all say you make this or that amount of Dollars per month, do you mean before or after taxes?

It's not how much you make, it's how much you spend. If you make $100,000 a year but your bills and expenses keep you struggling, then you are poor. If you make $30,000 a year but you don't have outstanding loans, car payments, and you can do whatever you want to do or buy whatever you want to buy, then you are doing okay.

It all comes down to money management. I make about $60,000 (probably more this year since I got a pretty decent raise in March) but I don't have any debts aside from a mortgage and utilities and I only have one kid. I live comfortably and I don't have a lot of worries.

Not poor but I'm not rich. I live better than many who make more than I do, though.

Slimebeast said:
When you all say you make this or that amount of Dollars per month, do you mean before or after taxes?

For me, it's before taxes.  After taxes, I bring home about a grand a week.

I guess I'm middle class, but not even my whole household earns 30k $ a year.

Since I'm in school, my occasional student jobs are payed 20Kn (~ 2,7€) an hour. Student jobs are not taxed, so monthly I can earn up to 500€ which is "above national average".

My mom earns around 700€ monthly. She's a senior accountant.

To put things in perspective:
1,75L bottle of fresh milk is a bit above €
Bread varies from 80 cent to 2€ (2€ is whole grain)
2L of Cola is 1,5€
Beer can 0,5L is 70 cent
Jägermeister 1L is around 15-20€
Good domestic wine is 5-10€ for bottle
Cheap wine is 1€ for bottle
1 big pizza is 4€ on average
1 jumbo pizza is 8€ on average
Coffee in a Cafe is 1€ in inland up to 3€ on sea side
Our all utilities which includes gas, electricity, water, telephone+ internet, cellphones are ~240€

The best thing of living here (here being Croatia) is that when I'm done with grad school I'll be debt free. I'm studying on expense of Ministry of Education like ~60% of people here. Education is somewhat "free", but our parents are taxed for it among other things.