By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Who here on this site is poor? Who on this site are rich?

the2real4mafol said:
NintendoPie said:
BenVTrigger said:
30,000 US dollars a year is poor?

You are either joking, crazy, young, or dont realize over 85% of the Earths population does not earn that

According to my AP Human Geography book, that is pretty poor.

You forget this is by US standards, you could be making $6,000 (330,000 rupees) a year but you are extremely rich indian movie director. A country, like India (a developing nation), has a cost of living that is much lower than in America and Europe. You will find that even the extremely rich of countries like India, probably have the same wealth as some middle class family in America. While, a rich British businessman is likely to be as rich as an American or a Japanese businessman. 

the cost of living varies wildly between countries and even different cities

You've given me a great idea... Move to india, get one of those slick internet jobs that pay upwards of 50 k a year, and live like a king. Why doesn't everyone do this?

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -My good friend Mark Aurelius

Around the Network
BenVTrigger said:
Thats the thing though if you make 30k a year in China or Africa you wont be struggling with bills at all.

Thats the problem with asking a question like this on the internet where people from different countries and cultures are. The concept of Rich Poor and Middle Class will be radically different.

But in terms of US I agree with you 30k is right on the border between being broke and middle class

In my country 30k a year is excellent, considering many people live with 6k a year.

OP: I don't have anything, I'm 16.

However, my parents make around 42k a year and we live very comfortably and travel frequently. That will, of course, be insufficient if I want to study in the U.S, but that's what scholarships are for. ^_^

homer said:
the2real4mafol said:
NintendoPie said:
BenVTrigger said:
30,000 US dollars a year is poor?

You are either joking, crazy, young, or dont realize over 85% of the Earths population does not earn that

According to my AP Human Geography book, that is pretty poor.

You forget this is by US standards, you could be making $6,000 (330,000 rupees) a year but you are extremely rich indian movie director. A country, like India (a developing nation), has a cost of living that is much lower than in America and Europe. You will find that even the extremely rich of countries like India, probably have the same wealth as some middle class family in America. While, a rich British businessman is likely to be as rich as an American or a Japanese businessman. 

You've given me a great idea... Move to india, get one of those slick internet jobs that pay upwards of 50 k a year, and live like a king. Why doesn't everyone do this?

LOL, but you obviously need money to do that. And if you have money already, you probably would not bother. Not bad though

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

NintendoPie said:
the2real4mafol said:

I was talking about fully developed countries in that situation.

Pfff... it's not as if third world country citizens live in jungles and eat bananas all day.

morenoingrato said:
NintendoPie said:
the2real4mafol said:

I was talking about fully developed countries in that situation.

Pfff... it's not as if third world country citizens live in jungles and eat bananas all day.

some of them do lol, but my point was that the poor and rich have very different definitions in different areas, that's all

ps, i would not mind living in a jungle lol

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

Around the Network

Your pay and the region you live in have a lot to do in terms of you being (or feeling) rich. I live in northern Virginia and the cost of living here is outrageous. I think 7 of the top 20 cities/counties are around here. People with incomes of 70k struggle because housing is so expensive, even after the downturn.

1 City of Falls Church, Virginia $113,313 3,595 96,449 5,613 16,864
2 Loudoun County, Virginia $112,021 1,833 103,817 1,477 8,204
3 Fairfax County, Virginia $104,259 955 104,335 709 -76
4 Hunterdon County, New Jersey $102,500 2,533 102,839 1,717 -339
5 Howard County, Maryland $101,003 1,325 95,474 1,128 5,529
6 Los Alamos County, New Mexico $100,423 5,635 101,687 4,364 -1,264
7 Douglas County, Colorado $99,522 1,394 106,754 1,402 -7,232
8 Morris County, New Jersey $96,316 1,374 99,559 1,085 -3,243
9 Somerset County, New Jersey $96,233 1,782 99,035 1,399 -2,802
10 City of Fairfax, Virginia $96,232 5,204 87,075 3,616 9,157
11 Arlington County, Virginia $93,806 1,652 81,101 1,183 12,705
12 Nassau County, New York $92,450 800 92,724 463 -274
13 Montgomery County, Maryland $92,213 962 92,107 635 106
14 Calvert County, Maryland $90,621 2,753 84,890 1,868 5,731
15 Stafford County, Virginia $90,586 1,895 86,003 1,555 4,583
16 Prince William County, Virginia $88,850 1,545 84,910 959 3,940
17 Williamson County, Tennessee $88,358 1,787 88,957 1,769 -599
18 Forsyth County, Georgia $88,040 1,808 88,681 1,803 -641
19 Putnam County, New York $88,036 2,574 93,044 1,503 -5,008
20 Marin County, California $87,728 1,569 91,792 1,314 -4,064

I'm single, a homeowner and make decent money and some months are still a struggle, just have to make sure your priorities are right.

I think I'm in the middle class.

I have money to do everything I like moderately. I have a car and now I'm buying a home.

I save the money well and have some limits like only 1-2 games per month. But for food or health I have no restrictions.

In US$ I receive 40k per year.

spurgeonryan said:

What could make things better in your life?

Are you happy?

What could you have done differently?

Why?

If you are Rich what did you do in life to accompish this?

Hey, I am Rich.  That is my name.  As for wealth and so on. well, depends on what you mean, same with happiness.  

I might as well jump in here and speak a bit.  Observing my father, my life, and so on.  Watching humanity, and the like, I then find that it seems there are some things of immense value, that people would give a lot for.  These include love, contentment, peace, joy and a number of thinks I see Paul wrote about in I believe Galatians (fruit of the Spirit.  Add also to this, what came up at a recent sermon at church on joy, that triggered my thinking on it.

Reality and the sum of the matter?  These things people seek so hard to get, thinking wealth and so on bring about, aren't what do it.  My observation is this: If you have no reason to be happy, be happy for no reason.  In short, choose what to be, then dwell in it.  This is internal.  And the value of this state is inversely proportional to how little else you have in life.  The one full of  these internal blessings while having little on the outside, has internals that increase in value the less they have in real life.  Not saying that one intentionally seeks poverty, but do not base your state of joy or happiness on your situation and external.  For me, I value the insides a lot being better, and will dwell in this.  All may go wrong, but no reason why not to see good and have joy and salvage whatever is good there.  I will look to put to an end the striving to get more and think I will be happy from this.  I will look to enjoy that which I have, as an outward reflection of inward peace and joy.  And to obtain this, just be.  I choose it, and so be it.  It exists for no reason.  Being needs on justification, because it is.  And so will I be.  Side effect is that I am understanding what may be the meaning behind some tough verses in the Bible to grasp to.  Hey, maybe this is delusion.  I am thinking of the story of the Acres of Diamond.

So, in light of this, who is really rich and who is poor?  

I make 33k a year. I am happy with that for now, Want to get it closer to 60k. But even at my current wages I will be buying a house here in the next few weeks. I own my car, I have all the things i feel i need and want. I also enjoy my work.

I'm dirt poor as a university student .___. There's no other choice besides getting a part-time job, but my parents would rather me invest my time into studying until I graduate. At the moment, I make $200 a month from allowance if that counts.

안녕하세요, oh!sayHUN 입니다! — living, loving life @ 04201990 · personal · chocoalatte