By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Who here on this site is poor? Who on this site are rich?

spurgeonryan said:
So what would you consider it? Middle class? I would say it is right on the border. Any lower and some would have troubles with bills. But some have no bills so maybe to them poor is 1500 or less.

How bout just say if you think you are poor or not. Better?

On a world prespective, anybody who lives in the US is rich.

Rich people in a lot of other countries would kill to be poor here.

That said I make about.... 1,180 a month?

Girlfriend makes about 900.

Pay about ~$800 a week on rent + Utilities.

No huge debts.  Girlfriend has student loans but those should be mostly paid off before she graduates and they take effect.

Don't receive any other income (no government benefits or the like)

Live in Nevada.

As for the questionire

What could make things better in your life?

Moving out of Nevada.  Should happen once my GF fininishes college.

Are you happy?

Yep.

What could you have done differently?

I could of went to gradschool instead of my girlfriend, would of already graduated since all I would of needed is a masters, and I already had an in with a compnay.   Would likely be making six figures at this point.

Why?

I'm guessing your asking why I didn't do that?  Simple, If I had my girlfriend would of been unhappy.  While I don't care about what I do for a living.  I'm happier her getting a chance to live her dream and working wherever, then I would be making a bunch of money while she was stuck with a second rate version of the job she wanted.

I mean, honestly, outside owning a condo, or some other small house I can't see where i'd spend any extra money anyway.

Around the Network
ghettoglamour said:
Lol I make like $80k a year and here in Switzerland it's pretty midclass I guess. Not bad for my age though (I'm 25).

I'd say that's a lot better then Middle Classs, though this does point out a fun little psychological trick... which is, most people think they are middle class. 80K is about 76K in swiss francs, assuming you already weren't in swiss franks.

I've been poor, though. I've been so poor that I had to sew my shoes back together and alter my own clothes. I've been so poor that I didn't eat sometimes. I've been so poor that we didn't even have electricity and we had to use candles for light and I had to shower in a gym before work.

So, as far as the OP is concerned: Hell, yeah, I'm happy. I don't worry about what I could have done differently or what would make the situation better because, for me, right now things are great. I'm blessed.

d21lewis said:
Slimebeast said:
When you all say you make this or that amount of Dollars per month, do you mean before or after taxes?

For me, it's before taxes.  After taxes, I bring home about a grand a week.

Sorry for being a little picky, but some details:

60k per year means 5k per month and rougly $1250 per week. Are your taxes only $250 off of a $1250 weekly salary?

Slimebeast said:
d21lewis said:
Slimebeast said:
When you all say you make this or that amount of Dollars per month, do you mean before or after taxes?

For me, it's before taxes.  After taxes, I bring home about a grand a week.

Sorry for being a little picky, but some details:

60k per year means 5k per month and rougly $1250 per week. Are your taxes only $250 off of a $1250 weekly salary?

Hell, I don't know.  I make over 60k a year, bring home about a grand a week, and I got a raise in March.  I'd have to look at my company website to see how my taxes are set up.  Sounds about right, though.....give or take.

*edit*

Looking at the company website right now--I'm paying $269 federal and $89 state tax this pay check.  Also, $26 on something called Fed/medd EE

Around the Network

Wow, before reading this thread I thought I was pretty OK making USD$700 per month before graduating from college.

Now I feel super poor :P

Kasz216 said:
ghettoglamour said:
Lol I make like $80k a year and here in Switzerland it's pretty midclass I guess. Not bad for my age though (I'm 25).

I'd say that's a lot better then Middle Classs, though this does point out a fun little psychological trick... which is, most people think they are middle class. 80K is about 76K in swiss francs, assuming you already weren't in swiss franks.

Well this chart shows net salary classes and I talked about my income before taxes. So I'm very right about being middle class after all :)

That said, I assume that the middle class in this country still should be able to afford more than in other countries. I don't complain at all, could be a lot worse.

Game of the year 2017 so far:

5. Resident Evil VII
4. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
3. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
2. Horizon Zero Dawn
1. Super Mario Odyssey

I came here only to tell that everybody participating on this site is rich by definition. Gaming is not cheap, even if you pirate your stuff, if you consider income from a planetary perspective, that is.

Of course, some of you make more than some of us a year, but how come that is important at all?

spurgeonryan said:

What could make things better in your life?

Are you happy?

What could you have done differently?

Why?

I'm a Uni student, so between rent, food, and my course, I'm pretty strapped for cash. (Which is why I generally only buy about 4-5 games a year) I will be paying off my course well into the future too.

My life would be better if I didn't have OCD for a start. It gives me panic attacks, affects my sleep patterns negatively, and generally makes life much more stressful. I have made progress towards controlling it over the last two years though, so I am optimistic that I can beat it. Having a more stable future in terms of employment would be nice too.

I'd also be quite a bit happier if my mum wasn't currently battling breast cancer, and if my dad was still alive; he died of a heart attack 4 years ago.  The thought that I might end up without a mum or a dad soon terrifies me.

So no, I'm not completely happy, although I do have things to be thankful for/happy about as well; I have friends, a roof over my head, enough money to eat well, a place at university, and a wonderful girlfriend.

If I could do something different it would be to bust dad smoking in secret and change his diet before the two combined killed him.

@sllimebeast, I asked the same question. I'd like the OP to specify what he meant with the tax too. When people talk about income it's mostly before tax. So my 1500 a month figure is gross income. Net it would be closer to 1200 a month. Its enough to afford a nice apartment in a nice nighboor hood in a major city.