By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Who here on this site is poor? Who on this site are rich?

Oh, I get paid every two weeks, too. Not sure it that matters.

Around the Network
NintendoPie said:
BenVTrigger said:
30,000 US dollars a year is poor?

You are either joking, crazy, young, or dont realize over 85% of the Earths population does not earn that

According to my AP Human Geography book, that is pretty poor.

You forget this is by US standards, you could be making $6,000 (330,000 rupees) a year but you are extremely rich indian movie director. A country, like India (a developing nation), has a cost of living that is much lower than in America and Europe. You will find that even the extremely rich of countries like India, probably have the same wealth as some middle class family in America. While, a rich British businessman is likely to be as rich as an American or a Japanese businessman. 

the cost of living varies wildly between countries and even different cities

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

I would say i'm in the middle class, as i can afford my gaming hobby currently. But to be honest, that is my own money, not my families (as i do a paper round). My family is poor, as we struggle with money (especially since the recession) and we live in flat now, instead of a house.

Despite, not having a lot of money, it doesn't bother me. I don't believe you need alot of money to be happy (I mean are the rich, that happy? I doubt it!)

I'm only 17 years old though, so I have a whole life pretty much to do well. I'm going to University in a year or so (when i'll have to limit spending on gaming!)

Life is just generally fine for me, although money to go on holiday abroad more would be nice (I have only been abroad 3 times in my life)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Farsala said:

I think this is more of a relatively speaking term. Someone who makes 30,000 a year in NYC is extremely poor but if they make that in russia then they pretty good, if they make that in africa they pretty dang rich.

As for me I am poor relatively as I owe student loans in excess.

Well said, because as I am here in north africa 30,000 a year is the best salary we can certainly get, Plus an average income here is about 500 USD monthly. 

And so, I have an adequate salary here where I live, but when it comes to bying new video games or console.. it's not the same thing, since btw I always buy pre-owned games.

BenVTrigger said:
30,000 US dollars a year is poor?

You are either joking, crazy, young, or dont realize over 85% of the Earths population does not earn that

Comparative living standards. In some countries you can live like a god on $500 a month

Even in America, a 30k income will barely get you anything in, say, Washington DC vs a city like Cleveland, where you could be quite comfortable on that.

For my part, i have no income at all for now, but my parents pay for everything so i buy games off of savings (and pay student loans thus as well).

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network

I still live with my parents and I don't have a job. I will hopefully have one in the next 4-7 months. But, my dad makes around $100,000 a year and my mom used to work at a bank and made around $30,000. She is now going to school to become an RN so she will be make upwards of $60,000 or more. Where I live this is would be considered rich because people around here are not making that much.

POE said:
What a banal post.

When you make several thousand threads a day they can't all be winners.

the2real4mafol said:

You forget this is by US standards, you could be making $6,000 (330,000 rupees) a year but you are extremely rich indian movie director. A country, like India (a developing nation), has a cost of living that is much lower than in America and Europe. You will find that even the extremely rich of countries like India, probably have the same wealth as some middle class family in America. While, a rich British businessman is likely to be as rich as an American or a Japanese businessman. 

I was talking about fully developed countries in that situation.

NintendoPie said:
the2real4mafol said:

I was talking about fully developed countries in that situation.

You should of said, i never see you mention it in the first place

When the cost to live in a small one bedroom apartment is $1800 or a tiny studio inlaw is $1000 per month (like it is in San Francisco), yes 30,000 a year is considered poor. Well that's how much it was last year. Price have gone up for rentals in SF since then. In other parts of the US, the cost of living is much less, so in a small town $30,000 a year could raise a family.

BTW an inlaw is a when someone converts a portion of their home into a small apartment with a separate entrance. Often the basement or garage is used.