By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - NSMB2 vs the Vita Top 10

dahuman said:
I still think this was not fair to start with, it was obvious from the start of this thread that Mario would give it to Vita's top 10 from behind.

Hey, I fully expected games like Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty to sell a million copies each! How was I supposed to know how things would turn out?

Besides listening to Rol I mean.

Love and tolerate.

Around the Network
Salnax said:
dahuman said:
I still think this was not fair to start with, it was obvious from the start of this thread that Mario would give it to Vita's top 10 from behind.

Hey, I fully expected games like Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty to sell a million copies each! How was I supposed to know how things would turn out?

By using logic and reason.

Troll. We're onto you...

noname2200 said:
Salnax said:
dahuman said:

By using logic and reason.

Troll. We're onto you...

No, really. I expected more from the Vita and less from NSMB2 than this.

Love and tolerate.

Salnax said:

No, really. I expected more from the Vita and less from NSMB2 than this.

I actually expected a bit more from NSMB2 than this, albeit only a few 100k more. I would have been quite surprised if AC or CoD went on to light the world on fire, though.

Veknoid_Outcast said:

I'm not disputing the numbers here, but why group Mario games with Mario Kart and Super Smash Bros.? There are three different franchises in that group.

This is obviously a matter of dispute. The question you're bringing up here is a bit broader than Mario, and is really whether or not a franchise is linked to a genre. I'm of an opinion that they're not. Mario Kart, Super Mario Bros. and Mario Party 8 are all the same franchise, but with subfranchises in them. Similarly, LittleBigPlanet Karting is in the same franchise as LittleBigPlanet 2, Simpsons: Hit and Run is the same franchise as The Simpsons game, and World of Warcraft is in the same franchise as Warcraft 3. 

Oh, and for the record, Super Smash Bros. Brawl isn't counted as a Mario game. While Mario is in the game, it's not a Mario game - it's a franchise of its own. Some would argue it is, but I find that the best method is to simply go by games with "Mario" in the title.

Around the Network

Animal Crossing on 3DS could easily beat the top 10 Vita titles once it launches world wide.

Salnax said:
aimancooper said:

But if we put all the games? It's not like NSMB 2 sold 3m in Japan only?

You want to play it like that? FIne.

The Vita has about 7 million games sold so far.

Super Mario 3D Land + NSMB2 = 10 million.

The 3DS's Mario platformers have outsold the entire Vita library by themselves.

And before you mention digital sales, please remember that both of the game I mentioned are available for download.

Sure but it's pretty safe to assume Vita digital sales are a higher percent. Add in that lots of launch games are disqualified plus the much smaller install base and you can see how this comparison favors NSMB2. Regardless it is still pitiful that the Vita loses so badly.

This is more one-sided than expected...good prediction!

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

It looks pretty bad for Vita, Kudos for Nintendo. Still, I seriously think that this fact alone doesn't matter much. Remember, this is a Nintendo franchise. 3rd party games don't sell nearly as well as 1st party games on 3DS and this is very important. 3rd party devs will support Vita if the sales of their games start to pick up there, even if 3DS outsells Vita 8:1, but only manages to sell 1st party games. The sales of 3rd party games are better on 3DS right now, but it's not an impressive number. The 3DS is saved for Nintendo, they will make money on it, they will sell their games on it, but they still have a chance to repeat the Wii. But Sony really needs to catch some wind in its sails, keep selling at least 60-70 thousand Vitas per week and get a few more good games that sell really well (around 1 million). Nintendo is safe, but Vita can still win its own war. They have to convince 3rd parties, that their smaller install base actually converts into bigger sales of 3rd party games.

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

@Scisca:
okay, lets look at 3rd parties real quick:

Vita:
1. FIFA Soccer (.37mil)
2. Rayman Origins (.25)
3. Persona 4 (.24)
4. Assassins Creed (.22)
5. Hatsune Miku (.20)
Average: .256mil

3DS
1. Monster Hunter 3G (1.60)
2. Kingdom Hearts (.95)
3. Dragon Quest Monsters (.91)
4. Super Street Fighter IV (.86)
5. (skipping Mario and Sonic) Lego Star Wars (.65)
Average: .994mil

in fact, there are thirteen 3rd party 3DS games that sold more than the top selling vita 3rd party game. That'll be a tough sell for Sony...