By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - NSMB2 vs the Vita Top 10

Even the ascension of Assassin's Creed and the release of Call of Duty couldn't reverse NSMB2's rising fortunes. The only game left that is likely to enter the Top 10 is PSASBR. Let's see how it does.

Love and tolerate.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Salnax said:
Even the ascension of Assassin's Creed and the release of Call of Duty couldn't reverse NSMB2's rising fortunes. The only game left that is likely to enter the Top 10 is PSASBR. Let's see how it does.

In other words, it's essentially over.

Well, yes. But putting it like that would make the next few weeks of updates seem irrelevent. At this point, I just want to see how one-sided this becomes.

Love and tolerate.

Salnax said:

Aren't they giving psasbr away free if you get the PS3 version. Even with the free give aways I think it will flop hard. There isn't much of childrens audience on the vita. Mostly digruntled adolescents.

Honestly, I just don't get it hahahaha. I don't get the big deal about the 3DS, as it looks like a gimmick for the 8-12 year old younger crowd. The Vita has some great features, but just doesn't sell good at all, pretty much anywhere, lol....
IMO Sony should look to get out of the handheld business and focus on Ps3/ps4. It's obvious they lost and it's not even close.

>User was moderated for this post [RH]

Currently own:

• Ps4

Currently playing: Witcher 3, Walking Dead S1/2, GTA5, Dying Light, Tomb Raider Remaster, MGS Ground Zeros

Vita deserves MUCH better than this...

Around the Network
ps3-sales! said:
Honestly, I just don't get it hahahaha. I don't get the big deal about the 3DS, as it looks like a gimmick for the 8-12 year old younger crowd. The Vita has some great features, but just doesn't sell good at all, pretty much anywhere, lol....
IMO Sony should look to get out of the handheld business and focus on Ps3/ps4. It's obvious they lost and it's not even close.

I think the 3DS is selling better for a few reasons. There's the notably lower price, and brand recognition from Nintendo and the DS. But mostly, I'd say it's the games that have made the 3DS a major hit. It has something for everyone, and at least one great game for any given genre.

Competitive online multiplayer? Try Mario Kart 7, Kid Icarus: Uprising, and Street Fighter.

Single-Player games for mature audiences? There's Resident Evil: Revelations, Zero Escape, and Devil Survivor.

Need a mind-bending puzzle game? Give Pushmo. Crashmo, and Layton a shot.

Prefer your games to emphasize platforming? There's two Marios, Skylanders, and VVVVVV.

Want to revisit retro classics? There's the N64 remakes, 3D Classics, and Virtual Console.

Maybe you like offbeat RPGs? That's what Kingdom Hearts, Paper Mario, and Theatrhythm are for.

My point is, maybe 3D is a gimmick, but that ultimately isn't what's selling the 3DS. Games are.

Love and tolerate.

Salnax said:
ps3-sales! said:

I think the 3DS is selling better for a few reasons. There's the notably lower price, and brand recognition from Nintendo and the DS. But mostly, I'd say it's the games that have made the 3DS a major hit. It has something for everyone, and at least one great game for any given genre.

Competitive online multiplayer? Try Mario Kart 7, Kid Icarus: Uprising, and Street Fighter.

Single-Player games for mature audiences? There's Resident Evil: Revelations, Zero Escape, and Devil Survivor.

Need a mind-bending puzzle game? Give Pushmo. Crashmo, and Layton a shot.

Prefer your games to emphasize platforming? There's two Marios, Skylanders, and VVVVVV.

Want to revisit retro classics? There's the N64 remakes, 3D Classics, and Virtual Console.

Maybe you like offbeat RPGs? That's what Kingdom Hearts, Paper Mario, and Theatrhythm are for.

My point is, maybe 3D is a gimmick, but that ultimately isn't what's selling the 3DS. Games are.

In terms of mature audienced, the Vita has a lot more to offer. Uncharted: Golden Abyss, Zero escape, AC 3 Liberation, Mortal Kombat, MGS HD Collection, COD Black Ops Declassified, etc. Also, its RPG library is building up with Ragnarok Odyssey and Persona 4 The Golden released recently. Then it has great platformers like LittleBigPlanet PS Vita and Sound Shapes.

Ucell said:
Vita deserves MUCH better than this...

Not really.

When you take a look at the series that make the PSP big, surprisingly few are on the Vita. Monster Hunter is the most obvious example, but what about Grand Theft Auto? Or one of Sony's popular 3D platforming series like Daxter? Or God of War? Or Gran Turismo? It's not as if Sony wasn't allowed to make these games for the Vita, or couldn't hire a studio to make them ala Declassified. It just seems like they didn't care why the PSP was as sucessful as it was, and assumed that people would buy it simply because it had some new tricks. Sure, they released LittleBigPlanet and that golf game, but that's nowhere nearly as useful as one of the above mentioned games would have been.

Say what you want about Nintendo, they realize that people buy systems for games. That's why they launched the 3DS with a Nintendogs sequel, and have made as many sequels to hit DS games on the 3DS as possible. Hence, Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart, NSMB2, Ocarina of Time 3D, Demon Training, and Pokemon Rumble Blast in lieu of a proper Pokemon.This is also why Mario is a launch title on the Wii U. They GET the importance of recurring series.

Love and tolerate.

Salnax said:

A little while back, Rol made an... interesting thread predicting that New Super Mario Bros 2 would sell more than the Top Ten Vita Games of E3 2012 combined. Although no Top 10 list ever materialized, it got me thinking: How much will NSMB2 sell in comparison to the 2012 Vita library all by itself?

For the purposes of this scenario, I'm going to compare NSMB2's 2012 sales against the top 10 best selling Vita games of 2012 that were first released in 2012. This means none of the Japanese launch titles (Uncharted, Hot Shots Golf, Ridge Racer, etc) can be included. That would be breaking the "Top 10 of 2012" rule.

Tracking begins for the week ending August 11.

August 11 - NSMB2 is at 0.78 million! Vita Top 10 is at 1.64 million. Difference of 0.86 million.

August 18 - NSMB2 is at 1.10 million! Vita Top 10 is at 1.67 million. Difference of 0.57 million.

August 25 - NSMB2 is at 1.51 million! Vita Top 10 is at 1.70 million. Difference of 0.19 million.

September 1 - NSMB2 is at 1.84 million! Vita Top 10 is at 1.83 million. Difference of 0.01 million.

September 8 - NSMB2 is at 2.05 million! Vita Top 10 is at 1.86 million. Difference of 0.19 million.

September 15 - NSMB2 is at 2.23 million! Vita Top 10 is at 1.89 million. Difference of 0.34 million.

September 22 - N/A

September 29 - NSMB2 is at 2.49 million. Vita Top 10 is at 1.96 million. Difference of 0.53 million.

October 6 - NSMB2 is at 2.59 million. Vita Top 10 is at 2.00. Difference of of 0.59 million.

October 13 - NSMB2 is at 2.69 million. Vita Top 10 is at 2.05. Difference of 0.64 million.

November 10 - NSMB2 is at 3.12 million. Vita Top 10 is at 2.19 million. Difference of 0.93 million.

November 10 (Update) - Due to populaar demand, I'm including the boxed sales of Little Deviants. The VIta Top 10 is thus at 2.23 million, with a difference of 0.89 million.

November 17 - NSMB2 is at 3.28 million. Vita Top 10 is at 2.30 million. Difference of 0.98 million.

The Top 10 Vita Games of 2012 are (millions):

Fifa Soccer (0.37) + Gravity Rush (0.25)  + Rayman Origins (0.24) + Persona 4 (0.24) + Assassin's Creed III: Liberation (0.22) + Little Deviants (0.20) + Next Hatsune Miku: Project Diva (0.20) + Unit 13 (0.20)  + LittleBigPlanet Vita (0.19)  + Wipeout 2048 (0.19) = 2.23 million

Which future Vita releases will replace spots in the Top 10? Will New Super Mario Bros be a match for 10 games all by itself? And even if the Vita wins, is it a true victory? Find the answers to all these questions and more in this new weekly feature!

But if we put all the games? It's not like NSMB 2 sold 3m in Japan only?

Ucell said:

In terms of mature audienced, the Vita has a lot more to offer. Uncharted: Golden Abyss, Zero escape, AC 3 Liberation, Mortal Kombat, MGS HD Collection, COD Black Ops Declassified, etc. Also, its RPG library is building up with Ragnarok Odyssey and Persona 4 The Golden released recently. Then it has great platformers like LittleBigPlanet PS Vita and Sound Shapes.

Bolded is multiplat.