By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Starting college this Monday... tips, advice, experiences?

those people saying condoms or sleep with girls never even touched a girl in college. Study man. you are not a kid anymore in college. go to gym, study hard, play hard, get haircut when you come home etc. do not get into a relationship in campus. that will ruin your college life.

Around the Network

Have as much safe sex as you possibly can. Learn how to handle your alcohol. Surround yourself with good friends.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Geez.. some people act if you have sex during college you will fail classes..... those 5 to 15 minutes aren't taking that much time away from your precious study time....

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

@NobleTeam360
What are you majoring in?

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -My good friend Mark Aurelius

Go out and join clubs. It can be a frat, band, student council, DnD group, whatever. Go join a club or clubs and have several groups of friends. A big part of the college experience is the social life, do not miss out on that. You don't have to go out and get hammered every weekend or even drink at all if you don't want to but be social.

Next piece of advice-- go to class. I'll say it again because it's important-- go to class. Also, less important but still important, do your homework. You're completely on your own now and it's tempting to skip those early classes and put off studying but absolutely do not do that. It's fine to skip the occasional class and there are some classes you don't need to show up at all, but in general go to class and do your homework (even if it's optional). I wasted my entire freshman year because I didn't go to class and nearly didn't graduate on my second senior year because I didn't study or do my homework.

Finally, on what you want to do-- it's cool to not know what you want to do your freshman year but get it figured out by the end of your freshman because you will get dangerously close to wasting time and money. If game development is what you want to do and you aren't a programmer or artist, be a designer. The great thing about designers is they can come from any background and do well. Take some history classes and then take some architectural classes as electives. Psych and philosophy? Sure! While you're at it, take an intro to programming and a basic life drawing classes, they all can only help. Take full potential of your electives. Once you get some degree, go to one of the game development grad schools like The Guildhall. Also, make sure to download something like Unreal III and just start making levels. They don't have to be good right at the start, just make levels. Find a mod community, work through tutorials, and then make levels. Once you have a good handle on Unreal, then start working with other engines (for instance, The Elder Scrolls Toolkit since you like RPG's).

-edit-

Oh, and the person who said get to know your professor's gave excellent advice.  Talk to them often, ask them questions during their office hours (even if you really don't need to), don't be annoying about it, and make sure they know your name.  It becomes a lifesaver and they may be able to give you very valuable advice on what you want to do with your life.

Around the Network

I start in less than 2 weeks and I'm a bit scared too I guess

Don't stress it too much. Being 26 years old and attending college for the first time at 24 (and any classroom before that was when I was 14) I can say it is a way to weed out the complete idiots. My GPA is 3.9 and I will be transferring to Marquette next semester.

I would suggest to actually declare an undecided major. This will give you time to take classes and learn what you actually like. I didn't realize I'd like Philosophy so much until I took a class. (Too bad Philosophy is a dead career). Unless you know you want to go into business because that major requires you to start taking classes almost immediatly. But if you declare a major and start taking classes that go towards that major and realize later "hey this isn't what I'm into" then you will have wasted a lot of time. You will have to basically restart. My friend is making his bachelors last for 6 years instead of 4 because he changed his major and most of his classes didnt go towards the new major.

Im majoring in Biochemistry. Reason for this is Im still not sure what I want to do. However, Biochemistry requires a lot of biology, lot of chemistry, lot of math, and then all of the gen ed classes. When I graduate I will lots of oppertunities. I can find work in a bunch of different fields, I can further my education in different fields, or I can do a complete 180 and take my LSATs since the non major required classes will prepare me for that.

Those who say sleep around... dont pay attention too, I've only had sex with 2 women in the last two and a half years and they were both really great. Ended up meeting my wife in my first Philosophy class. (And as you can see by my GPA my grades havent been negativly effected by having long term GF's) And have a wonderful son from the first one.

And to echo the voice of many here... GET TO KNOW YOUR PROFESSORS!!!! All of my professors have offered me glowing letter of recommendation. My English teacher and Philosophy teacher have helped me a lot. Letters from professor go a long way. I'm getting 17k in scholarships. Also on top of recommendations for scholarships these teachers can help a lot for getting into internships and undergrad studies.

if you want good grades get to know your TAs. most courses are run more by the TA not the professor. Trust me, i bump the grades of a few of my students because of the extra effort they put in with me.

if you want to go to grad school / get a job get to know your professors. networking is a huge part of being a professor. they'll have a lot of contacts at other schools and industry that can go a really long way to launching your post college career.

don't forget to have fun. school is important but you should have plenty of time for other activities if you manage your time well. join something, anything really. make some friends, drink a bit, get to know people you wouldn't otherwise talk to. the experience is just as important as the grades and diploma.

...and don't pittle the dittle of the little boys.

Appreciate it while you can, before you get thrust out into the real world to drown....

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.