By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Starting college this Monday... tips, advice, experiences?

Pro tip: trick yourself into thinking your assignments and such are due a week earlier than what the professor assigns.

Use the citations in wikipedia pages as reference for your work. My professors never allowed us to cite wikipedia.

"Common sense is not so common." - Voltaire

Platinumed Destiny, Vanquish, Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus, Catherine, and Metal Gear Rising. Get on my level!!

Get your Portable ID!                                                                                     

Around the Network

Well, your first two years are going to be basic stuff anyway. So just relax about a major and focus hard on hitting all your prereqs hard so your qualified for anything you want to do.

Don't let math get you down, though most people are afraid of it, Math is actually the one subject anyone can understand, just so long as they put i the hours.

Try and think up a few questions not on the test that shows a future interest or shows you understand the subject and ask the professor after class. They LOVE that and it helps networking wise. I qualified for some great grad school level independent studies because of it. Grad school like practical experience that counts for credit and is actually easier then a class? Doesn't get better then that. I also could of gotten into some good grad schools as a lock, just thanks to the strong support of a couple important teachers.  They can REALLY help you net internships and the like as well.

It bugs profs if your constantly bugging them about basic stuff, but if you can show yourself to understand it, and be insightful, they'll go out of their way to help you.

If you are one of those "Naturally smart" people who never had to study much... take a class in studying and practice studying. Chances are at some point you will need to learn to study unlike Highschool, and the transition will kill a grade in a class or two if your not careful.

Soriku said:

Aight, thanks for the really detailed posts Baalz and Savior, as well as everyone else. Gonna try to apply that stuff for sure.

Speaking of the gym, Savior, Penn State does offer a free gym so that's cool.

Most colleges do. It would be weird if they didn't.

Exercise is important because college is prime ground for weight gain, although i started a 20-pound freefall (weight loss) by eating cafeteria salads on weekdays for most of the summer one year. Which is a related point: if you're not a picky eater, college is a food paradise. Lots of kids hated our food service, but i enjoyed meals at college generally.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Be social, having a good roommate can make the difference in your college experience. I am now a sophomore myself and I was not sure about my major until the last half of my senior year in HS. After that I am not quitting. So my advice to you is to pick a major and stick with it. Some things will turn out different then what you thought, but if you have confidence, determination, and lots of time you will be able to pass anything.

Serious advice.

Your first 3 months should be concentrated at socializing rather than studying (but preferably both if you have the stamina). You can always catch up with your studies later, but it's much harder to catch up with the social life if you missed out in the start. (actually you should be thinking first 3 weeks rather than 3 months, because the very first weeks are absolutely crucial!)

When people are new in collage they're more open and interested in making friends, while later they've already formed their groups they hang out with. You don't wanna miss out on that and end up being the lonely guy.

So put energy in making male friends. Male friends are obviously valuable in themselves, but through the male friends you'll also gain access to parties and chicks later on.

Do not become the one emo guy who only hangs out with a pack of girls, because you won't benefit from that in the long run.

Around the Network

OH man im in the same boat as you I cant decided if I want to take Business or computering I got a course for business booked but to be frank im not even interested in that subject, however I did take business in secondary school and im decent in it, but man the teacher bored me to deaf and learning about insurance almost makes me think that you have to be a dick in this filed .

computering I have no knowledge in this it, hack im even scare of turrenting stuff because of news where S.W.A.T would burst though your door :P, but my close friends are there so they might help me out.

Sorry if this post did not helped you at all,but I just want you to know your not alone :D

Bet with gooch_destroyer, he wins if FFX and FFX-2 will be at $40 each for the vita. I win if it dont

Sign up if you want to see God Eater 2 get localized!! https://www.change.org/petitions/shift-inc-bring-god-eater-2-to-north-america-2#share

Oh yeah.

Also always back up important data on at least one zip drive. So you have at least 2 copies of everything you've done. Never know when you'll lose one copy, or even have your computer wiped. I seem to recall someones computer being wiped because they had a personal wifi service that someone ended up leaching and downloading a LOT copyright infringing media on.

Good Grades

Social Life

Video Games

Sleep

You can only have two.

Soriku said:
SnakeDrake said:
OH man im in the same boat as you I cant decided if I want to take Business or computering I got a course for business booked but to be frank im not even interested in that subject, however I did take business in secondary school and im decent in it, but man the teacher bored me to deaf and learning about insurance almost makes me think that you have to be a dick in this filed .

computering I have no knowledge in this it, hack im even scare of turrenting stuff because of news where S.W.A.T would burst though your door :P, but my close friends are there so they might help me out.

Sorry if this post did not helped you at all,but I just want you to know your not alone :D

lol. Nice not being alone :) You should tell me how you're doing as time goes on and vice versa.

Yeah sure thing I start at sep so you'll be going in first XD

So you can pm me or post in my wall or better yet start a first year in college thread I notice these quit a few ppl here starting there first year too.

Bet with gooch_destroyer, he wins if FFX and FFX-2 will be at $40 each for the vita. I win if it dont

Sign up if you want to see God Eater 2 get localized!! https://www.change.org/petitions/shift-inc-bring-god-eater-2-to-north-america-2#share

Kasz216 said:
Oh yeah.

Also always back up important data on at least one zip drive. So you have at least 2 copies of everything you've done.

lol... I don't think kids these day know what a zip drive... but yeah back everything up... use an external HD or a cloud service like icloud or dropbox..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!)