By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Starting college this Monday... tips, advice, experiences?

Baalzamon said:
twesterm said:

Lol you'll never get in trouble for drinking underage unless you're a complete moron. At most you'll get a wag of the finger. I've been kicked out of bars and been at parties where the cops raided, nothing really happens. 

That said-- don't be an idiot. Don't drink and be a noisy jackass at a place like a campground, drink at bars you know you can get away with and drink at people's homes. When you're under 21 it's acceptable to drink bad beer like Bud Light but once you're 21 it's basically a sin to drink anything with the word light in it. 

(and it shouldn't have to be said but I feel like I should, don't drink and drive and know your limits. You aren't cooler for every beer you drink and always have a way home)

Yea, I'm going to go ahead and tell you that you are wrong about that one.  None of us were loud at the campground, not to mention I blew a .022 at like midnight.  Not all people will let you by, even if you are being relatively responsible with what you are doing (plus, my brother got an underage ticket for drinking at a bar, so the bar part is definitely incorrect)

I'm not sure I get your post...you say you weren't loud yet you were firing guns?

Around the Network
Train wreck said:

6.  The internet for schools are extremely crappy

Huh?  The internet in our dorms last year went down one time the whole year for a whopping 10 minutes.  Otherwise it was 5-10mb internet with 10-20 ping.

Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.

twesterm said:

I'm not sure I get your post...you say you weren't loud yet you were firing guns?

As in, I blew (into a breathalyzer) a .022.  I had .022% alcohol in my blood.  In order to get a dwi driving (mine didn't involve driving, but just for an example), you need to blow at least a .08

A .022 is the equivalent of about 1.5-2 drinks for me in 45-60 minutes.

Baalzamon said:
twesterm said:

As in, I blew (into a breathalyzer) a .022.  I had .022% alcohol in my blood.  In order to get a dwi driving (mine didn't involve driving, but just for an example), you need to blow at least a .08

A .022 is the equivalent of about 1.5-2 drinks for me in 45-60 minutes.

Ah, haha, I'm slow this morning.  I thought I saw 0.22 and for some reason that translated as gun to me.  XD

And I'm sorry, but if you were that drunk you probably loud.  Every time I've had to tell my drunken noisy neighbors they are in fact being too loud on a Tuesday it's always a complete surprise to them.

The police don't usually make it a point to come around and make everybody do a breathalizer, they had a reason to come to you.

Baalzamon said:
Train wreck said:

Huh?  The internet in our dorms last year went down one time the whole year for a whopping 10 minutes.  Otherwise it was 5-10mb internet with 10-20 ping.

My school's wifi had nightmarish security and was patchy in that it would crap out all-too-often, but if you got on ethernet (or when the wifi ran) you got a clean 30-40 mbps. Never measured the ping, but i never had any issues once i had gotten past that damn security.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network

I dont go to classes, its too mainstream.

Baalzamon said:
Train wreck said:

I know my school had awful internet via wifi and hard wired ethernet.  Any attempt to play any game via xbox live, psn, online pc was atrocious. having a student body of 30k can do that though.

twesterm said:

Ah, haha, I'm slow this morning.  I thought I saw 0.22 and for some reason that translated as gun to me.  XD

And I'm sorry, but if you were that drunk you probably loud.  Every time I've had to tell my drunken noisy neighbors they are in fact being too loud on a Tuesday it's always a complete surprise to them.

The police don't usually make it a point to come around and make everybody do a breathalizer, they had a reason to come to you.

As in, I was not even buzzed.  After the police were done with me, we asked the campground next to us and they specifically said they couldn't even hear us.  That group said the police checked them as well.  The police came up to us, and said since we are drinking (I only had a nalgene bottle with water in it by me), they will need to check everybody's ID's.  He saw I was underage, and pulled out the breathalyzer without a thought.  Even if I had only been drinking water, I still would have been breathalyzed.  The only thing that we did wrong was that I was drinking under the legal age, and that is all there is to it.

Train wreck said:

having a student body of 30k can do that though.

No, having tech people that don't know how to (or are too cheap to) provide the proper service can do that.  St Cloud State has almost 18,000 students and their internet is perfectly fine.  Perhaps your school doesn't have as much money allocated to technology services.  At SCSU, I think there is a designated cost per credit for "technology".