By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Starting college this Monday... tips, advice, experiences?

On a side note, if you do choose to drink underage, for gods sake avoid Natural Light. It shames our whole generation.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network
Soriku said:

I just realized...why do no colleges have videogame clubs? Penn State doesn't have one and I've never actually heard of one. This is really strange because you'd think video games are such a big thing now that it should be a given that there's a club since there's even a legitimate anime club.

I ought to try to start one if I can, lol. The only thing holding me back is providing stuff since I don't have a TV to provide or extra gaming systems and I wouldn't wanna bring my stuff at home in. But at the same time, I feel like I could get a crapload of people to join and create ripples since, c'mon, it's videogames. It would be a cool time for everyone to play some games if it's a big hobby to them the way games are to me and would count as being part of something and you could definitely make some friends.

I think it would be cool if there'd me meetings/discussion about the state of the industry as it is, some news, and then let people play games. Perhaps every meeting we'd play a different game in a different genre? Or if people like a game a lot, we'd stick with it for a while? And even let people play whatever they want on the side. Would be more convenient if they had handhelds though. Just sit at a chair/couch and play and there'd be more room.

If I actually started one I feel like I could get really ahead...

Edit: Well I found this regarding Penn State but I never saw it for the list of clubs that I got at orientation.

http://www.clubs.psu.edu/up/mlg/

Maybe it's a main campus thing? IDK. But it doesn't seem very popular. And there's been no updates since March...hopefully it hasn't been disbanded lol. Would definitely join. I could still see about starting one at this campus though.

I'm not certain if they have a specific club for it, but St Cloud State where I go to I know will occasionally have posters up for things such as video game tournaments, and I know that every wednesday (whether or not it was an official club I don't know) a bunch of kids got together in the basement of Atwood (Atwood is sort of a sweet chill out place) to play games together.  So odds are likely if you are interested in something such as that, you will be very well aware that it is happening.

Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.

Teo said:
Good Grades

Social Life

Video Games

Sleep

You can only have two.

False.  I have a 3.65 gpa after 90 something credits (which I think is pretty darned good), hung out with roomates like crazy, played probably 2+ hours of video games (AT LEAST) per day, and averaged 9 hours of sleep for a whole year of school.  Add onto that the fact I also had a job...

Speaking of drinking underage. I'm just going to say it now. Be careful. Seriously. Not only for your own health, but be careful relative to the fact that you know you are breaking the law.

You never know if a TA will call something in and you will get in trouble that you regret. Also, just don't let drinking lead to you drinking in places you shouldn't be. I made that mistake myself, went to a bachelor party at a campground with some buddies, and wound up getting a beautiful $250 underage drinking citation. You don't get a redo for something such as that, so seriously, be careful.

Baalzamon said:
Speaking of drinking underage. I'm just going to say it now. Be careful. Seriously. Not only for your own health, but be careful relative to the fact that you know you are breaking the law.

You never know if a TA will call something in and you will get in trouble that you regret. Also, just don't let drinking lead to you drinking in places you shouldn't be. I made that mistake myself, went to a bachelor party at a campground with some buddies, and wound up getting a beautiful $250 underage drinking citation. You don't get a redo for something such as that, so seriously, be careful.

Lol you'll never get in trouble for drinking underage unless you're a complete moron. At most you'll get a wag of the finger. I've been kicked out of bars and been at parties where the cops raided, nothing really happens. 

That said-- don't be an idiot. Don't drink and be a noisy jackass at a place like a campground, drink at bars you know you can get away with and drink at people's homes. When you're under 21 it's acceptable to drink bad beer like Bud Light but once you're 21 it's basically a sin to drink anything with the word light in it. 

(and it shouldn't have to be said but I feel like I should, don't drink and drive and know your limits. You aren't cooler for every beer you drink and always have a way home)

Around the Network

Very true -- get to know your professors! It helped me with letters of recommendations when applying to grad school, and I'm a firm believer in it potentially helping your grades! You never know if you'll want to continue later in life! Try not to let assignments go off until the last few days.... it can really stress you out. Caffeine was my friend, and it still is!

You'll find the proper balance between studying and partying.

I'll never forget this quote in undergrad. "I always remember the students who sit up front, and I really like when people smile and laugh at my jokes." -Undergrad professor. Oddly enough, my recommendation from this professor even said something like, "he's attentive and always sits up front."

Everyone needs to play Lost Odyssey! Any opposition to this and I will have to just say, "If it's a fight you want, you got it!"

Don't be an asshole. I'm not telling you to not be yourself, but I am telling you to not be totally brash and honest. That was a mistake I made my freshman year. Brash behavior works online and on forums, but it translates poorly when trying to make impressions on potential/would be friends. Save it til you made close friends and circles before you start being yourself. Being the know it all dick who likes to dispute and correct everything and everyone can be quite the buzz kill in friendly encounters.

I think Slimebeast said it best, this is a freshman year... a lot of high school graduates are going to seek new networks of friends. actively make friends when it counts.

@slimebeast, I was that loner student my freshman year in 2006. I was a pitiful sight. I left to Milwaukee and Chicago the following 3 years for work leaving school behind before I finally decided to go back to school in 2009. That's when I made all my adjustments, that's when I buried my social awkwardness behind.

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson

twesterm said:

Lol you'll never get in trouble for drinking underage unless you're a complete moron. At most you'll get a wag of the finger. I've been kicked out of bars and been at parties where the cops raided, nothing really happens. 

That said-- don't be an idiot. Don't drink and be a noisy jackass at a place like a campground, drink at bars you know you can get away with and drink at people's homes. When you're under 21 it's acceptable to drink bad beer like Bud Light but once you're 21 it's basically a sin to drink anything with the word light in it. 

(and it shouldn't have to be said but I feel like I should, don't drink and drive and know your limits. You aren't cooler for every beer you drink and always have a way home)

Yea, I'm going to go ahead and tell you that you are wrong about that one.  None of us were loud at the campground, not to mention I blew a .022 at like midnight.  Not all people will let you by, even if you are being relatively responsible with what you are doing (plus, my brother got an underage ticket for drinking at a bar, so the bar part is definitely incorrect)

Baalzamon said:
twesterm said:

Yea, I'm going to go ahead and tell you that you are wrong about that one.  None of us were loud at the campground, not to mention I blew a .022 at like midnight.  Not all people will let you by, even if you are being relatively responsible with what you are doing (plus, my brother got an underage ticket for drinking at a bar, so the bar part is definitely incorrect)

From my experience (not much of a drinker. That's why a small bottle of lemon-vodka has made me incoherent enough to start drunkerating the past two nights) underage drinking is like speeding, you may get hit with it far worse sometimes than others. Depends basically on the mood of everyone involved from the police down to RAs and Campus Security. If anyone anywhere in the chain is willing to make a stink about it, then you are going to have a problem

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

My experiences (outside of the usual party stuff):

First and foremost, keep in touch with your parents.

1. Get a job while on campus. I was pretty good with computers and phone skills so I was able to get a job in the campus library doing computer help desk stuff. It'll help cover small expenses like books, let's you have extra pocket money and it really looks good on your resume (being to handle work and school load). I worked an average of 25 hours a week while still taking 12-15 credit hours (18 one semester!). I meet some awesome people and people around campus will recognize you immediately.

2.May sound odd but starting from day 1, start to look for a job in the career interest you most (if you can). College degrees are becoming less relevant, don't go into college thinking that the piece of paper you obtain at the end will lead to an automatic job. A lot of people, especially of my generation (24-30 year olds) are finding out the hard way that they did not do the necessary work skills to become employable right away. Gotta work at it.

3. Like a lot of people are saying, get to know your professor's office hours, get to know them. They will be valuable for references and other advice, especially post college.

4. Get internships, even if they are not payable, and especially if you cannot find a job on/near campus.

5. Get to know your roommates.

6. Guess lastly join social clubs (like other are saying). The internet for schools are extremely crappy so you will find that playing with your 3DS or Wii or whatever you have over a network will be bad, so if you like games find a club that games so you can play locally. I used to be part of a big fighting game club and we would have tournaments in various dorms, it was fun times had by all.