By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony GC conference: PS3+Vita Cross Buy, new MM IP + KillZone for Vita, 2 SCEJ new IPs, Vita as PS3 controller, PSOne classics on Vita and more

Kenology said:

Not saying it'll fail, but rather it won't catch on.  It's pretty obvious, and I'm not sure why you don't see it.  You're argument that the 3DS is a downsized console is just plain wrong.  SM3DL and MK7 are not downsized console games.  They have no console counterparts at all.  Their legitimate entries in the series and not spinoffs by C-level teams.  If you don't want to admit that, then fine.  And your Pokemon statement just goes to show that you know you're wrong but want to play dumb and argue for arguments sake.  So I'm done!

When these games do nothing significantly boost the Vita, we'll revisit this convo.  

Assassins Creed Liberation: spinoff by a C-level team at Activision releasing next to the real thing on PS3.  No one is going to buy a watered down spinoff.

Call of Duty Vita: looks like a really poor effort by a C-level developer (Nihilistic) with only 4-on-4 online and is releasing next to the real deal on PS3.  Who's really going to buy that?

Killzone Vita:  This looks like a legitmate entry into the series and is developed by Guerilla.  Not a system mover by any stretch.  Killzone didn't move PS3s and it won't move Vitas.

Little Big Planet Vita:  See Killzone above...

Tearaway:  Best Vita game of the show, but unfortunately it's destined to be niche.

These games will sell to Sony/PS3 fans but will do nothing for Vita on the mass market.  

I never said those games will sell Vitas.  I said the thought that the Vita shouldn't use "down-sized" console games and that the 3DS doesn't use them is pure and utter bull.  Super Mario Bros. 3D Land doesn't have a console counterpart?  New Super Mario Bros. Wii and Super Mario Land are the console counterparts.  Mario Kart 7 has no console counterpart?  Mario Kart 6 on the Wii is the console counterpart, Mario Kart 7 being a direct sequel to it.  My statement about RPGs are wrong?  Do you not know where RPGs come from?  Ultima on the PC, Never Winter Nights, Boulders Gate, Diablo.  Final Fantasy 1-3 on the NES, Dragon Quest 1-4.  RPGs are rooted in console/PC, saying they're not is like saying platformers aren't.  I mean, stripping out the story aspects of an RPG (In Pokemon's case) and throwing it on a handheld is exactly what your argueing against; taking a console game and down-sizing it.  And you are done, you argued yourself into a corner.  All your counter arguements are in my support and as I asked you before, what's your counter argument?

Around the Network
Kenology said:

Actually, LBP franchise has sold almost 10 million units on PS3/PSP. Looks pretty solid to me.

I really wanted to stay out of this thread...

@Kenology

Arguing that AC:L is a spin-off that no one will care for is just plain wrong if you can't say the same about SM3DL or a number of other 3DS titles. Also, calling Ubisoft Sofia a C-level dev is wrong. Nihilistic, sure but Ubisoft Sofia is more "unproven" than anything else.

Also, it's not hard to see what SONY is trying to do here. SONY doesn't need first place for the Vita to be a success. PSP was a let down in the later years in terms of software support but it was by no means a failure for SONY. SONY's giving people with PS3's a huge incentive to get a Vita. These are gamers that SONY already knows aren't too intimidated by the price tag. In addition, non of the games that support cross-buy have vita exclusive games in the same franchises. PS3 owners will be getting a portable version of their games when they buy, then SONY can sell them on the exclusives that aren't coming free.

AC:L isn't AC3. It's a new story, in a new setting, with a new main character and sports new functionality. It has features that support someone getting both AC3 for PS3 and AC:L for Vita. You seem to be trying really hard to label it as some lazy extention of AC3 for the portable PS3...

Also, I see no reason why Tearaway is destined to be a niche title... It had everyone's attention. It's a title with mass appeal and anyone can see that.

EDITED

4 ≈ One

darkknightkryta said:
Kenology said:

Not saying it'll fail, but rather it won't catch on.  It's pretty obvious, and I'm not sure why you don't see it.  You're argument that the 3DS is a downsized console is just plain wrong.  SM3DL and MK7 are not downsized console games.  They have no console counterparts at all.  Their legitimate entries in the series and not spinoffs by C-level teams.  If you don't want to admit that, then fine.  And your Pokemon statement just goes to show that you know you're wrong but want to play dumb and argue for arguments sake.  So I'm done!

When these games do nothing significantly boost the Vita, we'll revisit this convo.  

Assassins Creed Liberation: spinoff by a C-level team at Activision releasing next to the real thing on PS3.  No one is going to buy a watered down spinoff.

Call of Duty Vita: looks like a really poor effort by a C-level developer (Nihilistic) with only 4-on-4 online and is releasing next to the real deal on PS3.  Who's really going to buy that?

Killzone Vita:  This looks like a legitmate entry into the series and is developed by Guerilla.  Not a system mover by any stretch.  Killzone didn't move PS3s and it won't move Vitas.

Tearaway:  Best Vita game of the show, but unfortunately it's destined to be niche.

These games will sell to Sony/PS3 fans but will do nothing for Vita on the mass market.  

I never said those games will sell Vitas.  I said the thought that the Vita shouldn't use "down-sized" console games and that the 3DS doesn't use them is pure and utter bull.  Super Mario Bros. 3D Land doesn't have a console counterpart?  New Super Mario Bros. Wii and Super Mario Land are the console counterparts.  Mario Kart 7 has no console counterpart?  Mario Kart 6 on the Wii is the console counterpart, Mario Kart 7 being a direct sequel to it.  My statement about RPGs are wrong?  Do you not know where RPGs come from?  Ultima on the PC, Never Winter Nights, Boulders Gate, Diablo.  Final Fantasy 1-3 on the NES, Dragon Quest 1-4.  RPGs are rooted in console/PC, saying they're not is like saying platformers aren't.  I mean, stripping out the story aspects of an RPG (In Pokemon's case) and throwing it on a handheld is exactly what your argueing against; taking a console game and down-sizing it.  And you are done, you argued yourself into a corner.  All your counter arguements are in my support and as I asked you before, what's your counter argument?

Offcourse the 3DS has counter parts, which are similar. but guess what people still buy them because it is purely on 3DS

My whole argument around the free vita version is arond these spin offs.

If in future I can play a PS3 version of COD, AC, KILLZONE, Uncharted there is no need for me to buy the spinoffs mentioned above as my needs will be satisfied as I can now play them on a portable device. So the gamer wins but the developers of those spinoffs (which are purely used to milk extra money from people) loose out because considerable less will have a need for these anymore. Yes these spinoffs may be their own story and well presented etc.. but for some people it is as simple as IF i could play ps3 games on my vita I would not have the need to purchase these side games.

However my initial understanding was that this will not be a mandated thing. Now I know that 3rd party devs will have a choice if they want to release spinoffs, stand alone vita retail versions or offer a free VITA version iwith the PS3 copy. So in the end it will not be much a bad thing for the industry.

The LBP trailer shown is proof that Nintendo will have had copied Sony with its WiiU counterparts. But of course, my thread got locked because it's a negative Nintendo thread.

Around the Network
Cobretti2 said:

Offcourse the 3DS has counter parts, which are similar. but guess what people still buy them because it is purely on 3DS

My whole argument around the free vita version is arond these spin offs.

If in future I can play a PS3 version of COD, AC, KILLZONE, Uncharted there is no need for me to buy the spinoffs mentioned above as my needs will be satisfied as I can now play them on a portable device. So the gamer wins but the developers of those spinoffs (which are purely used to milk extra money from people) loose out because considerable less will have a need for these anymore. Yes these spinoffs may be their own story and well presented etc.. but for some people it is as simple as IF i could play ps3 games on my vita I would not have the need to purchase these side games.

However my initial understanding was that this will not be a mandated thing. Now I know that 3rd party devs will have a choice if they want to release spinoffs, stand alone vita retail versions or offer a free VITA version iwith the PS3 copy. So in the end it will not be much a bad thing for the industry.

Yeah, if devs wanna make dedicated games like the new Killlzone, for instance, they can.  Or if they wanna save costs and make one version of a game, then they can do that too.  Everyone wins.

AndrewWK said:
Who is this Spike guy from Playstation All Stars?

I asked that already but no one gave me an answer

The main character in Ape Escape...so he'll be using a bunch of monkeys.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

killzone was the best of the gamescom!

I've caused enough stir for the day!

Kenology said:
leatherhat said:

You can't play AC liberation on ps3

But you can play AC3.  That's the point I'm making. 

I don't think touchscreen controls is enough to differentiate itself from it's console brethern.  Buy a copy of AC3 on PS3 for $60 or buy a copy of ACL on Vita for $50?  It's not contest really.  And imagine this scenario play out in the mind of consumer in the game store - buy a copy of AC3 on PS3 and/or buy a PSP + ACL + memory stick for $320 - $380.

Not happening.  Vita needs for games like Tearaway.  Not ACL.

Liberation is a completely different game with a different main character, in a different period, in a different setting. Have you compared the two or seen gameplay videos?

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.