By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony GC conference: PS3+Vita Cross Buy, new MM IP + KillZone for Vita, 2 SCEJ new IPs, Vita as PS3 controller, PSOne classics on Vita and more

SnakeDrake said:

lol looks like some peolpe here thinks that they have a clear cut difinetion on what portable handheld should be, and really who is complaining about getting free games (though not technically free, but hey its 2 for the price of one).

They are right though, handhelds aren't supposed to be about portable console gaming, just look at the DS and it's plethora of great JRPG titles. For the longest time it was said "If you want JRPGs, look at getting a DS".

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network
Euphoria14 said:
SnakeDrake said:

lol looks like some peolpe here thinks that they have a clear cut difinetion on what portable handheld should be, and really who is complaining about getting free games (though not technically free, but hey its 2 for the price of one).

They are right though, handhelds aren't supposed to be about portable console gaming, just look at the DS and it's plethora of great JRPG titles. For the longest time it was said "If you want JRPGs, look at getting a DS".

This is probably one of the ways Sony can different themselves from the handheld market. Why make another 3DS or game machine that  is smartphones without the ability to call.

Bet with gooch_destroyer, he wins if FFX and FFX-2 will be at $40 each for the vita. I win if it dont

Sign up if you want to see God Eater 2 get localized!! https://www.change.org/petitions/shift-inc-bring-god-eater-2-to-north-america-2#share

SnakeDrake said:
Euphoria14 said:
SnakeDrake said:

This is probably one of the ways Sony can different themselves from the handheld market. Why make another 3DS or game machine that  is smartphones without the ability to call.

That's the thing, I always remembered my handhelds as portable console gaming machines. Pokemon, Final Fantasy, Kindgom Hearts, Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Mario Kart, you name it. It has always been about games like that, lol. This is why this new argument is so laughable. Even more so since the games they claim should be on there are the same games they rip apart when it comes time to speak about smartphone gaming.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

darkknightkryta said:

You do realize Nintendo's handhelds would cease to exist without Pokemon?  That and cost are the only reason why they've never made a full blown RPG on consoles.  And RPGs are console games, by that reasoning Pokemon is a "down-sized console game".   So what's your argument again?  And just cause you don't wanna share games between handhelds and console, doesn't mean others don't.  I mean, all my trips to Italy, when I'd sit down playing games they were always console games ported to handhelds.  A Link to the Past, Legend of Dragoon on a modded PSP, Final Fantasy 4-6 on GBA.  I'd rather sit down with Metal Gear Solid 4 while I'm on a trip than with Nintendogs.  Hell when I was playing Final Fantasy XIII-2 there were plenty of times when I wanted to put my save on the Vita and curl up with it in my bed and grind a way and do sidequests but I couldn't.

You seem to be more interested in being confrontation than actually digesting what I'm saying.  I'll spell it out for you again.

My argument is that Sony's strategy of downsized console games on the go is not a winning strategy.  And it's not just me who doesn't like this strategy, Vita sales show that most people don't. 

You're rebuttal in regards to Pokemon just seems bitter.  You didn't dispell the point I'm making at all.  In addition to Pokemon only being available in Nintendo handhelds, here are some other games that underscore my point:

Super Mario 3D Land:  Despite being created EAD Tokyo, the same team responsible for Super Mario Galaxy 2, the game is much different from either SMG1 & 2.  It feels much more like a 2D Mario game in terms of structure.  The game features bite-sized levels which are very well designed and offers TONS of content.  It's a unique Mario experience you'll only get on the 3DS.  Also, notice that it Nintendo put a top team on this game, which isn't happening with CoD Vita or ACL.

Mario Kart 7:  Not only does it release years after the last series entry, but it also has new features that affect gameplay and keep things fresh.  Also, it's not a spinoff, it's  legitimate entry in the Mario Kart series AND it's developed in house.

Again, AssCreed Liberation and Call of Duty Vita are releasing at the same time as their console bretherns, they're both spinoffs,and their both created by B or C-level teams (Ubisoft Sofia and Nihilistic).  So what's the appeal?

The rest of your post went into focusing on examples of ported games, ignoring all the original content that actually sold the GBA and DS.  Also, we're not talking about what YOU like specifically, we're talking about what it would take for the a handheld system to take off.

Euphoria14 said:
SnakeDrake said:
Euphoria14 said:
SnakeDrake said:

That's the thing, I always remembered my handhelds as portable console gaming machines. Pokemon, Final Fantasy, Kindgom Hearts, Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Mario Kart, you name it. It has always been about games like that, lol. This is why this new argument is so laughable. Even more so since the games they claim should be on there are the same games they rip apart when it comes time to speak about smartphone gaming.

lol by their arguments it works both ways. What a console game should be nowadays. They got Monster Hunter on the Will not much change /difference and removed the cat companion. Nintendo fans calling for a MMO pokemon game for their home console. Sony fans want to have a patapon game on the ps3 ect. My point is if its playable its still a game no matter what.

Bet with gooch_destroyer, he wins if FFX and FFX-2 will be at $40 each for the vita. I win if it dont

Sign up if you want to see God Eater 2 get localized!! https://www.change.org/petitions/shift-inc-bring-god-eater-2-to-north-america-2#share

Around the Network
pezus said:
Boutros said:
Sly delayed T.T

What?? Until when?

Until Dawn :P

Vote to Localize — SEGA and Konami Polls

Vote Today To Help Get A Konami & SEGA Game Localized.This Will Only Work If Lots Of People Vote.

Click on the Image to Head to the Voting Page (A vote for Yakuza is a vote to save gaming)

Kenology said:
darkknightkryta said:

You do realize Nintendo's handhelds would cease to exist without Pokemon?  That and cost are the only reason why they've never made a full blown RPG on consoles.  And RPGs are console games, by that reasoning Pokemon is a "down-sized console game".   So what's your argument again?  And just cause you don't wanna share games between handhelds and console, doesn't mean others don't.  I mean, all my trips to Italy, when I'd sit down playing games they were always console games ported to handhelds.  A Link to the Past, Legend of Dragoon on a modded PSP, Final Fantasy 4-6 on GBA.  I'd rather sit down with Metal Gear Solid 4 while I'm on a trip than with Nintendogs.  Hell when I was playing Final Fantasy XIII-2 there were plenty of times when I wanted to put my save on the Vita and curl up with it in my bed and grind a way and do sidequests but I couldn't.

You seem to be more interested in being confrontation than actually digesting what I'm saying.  I'll spell it out for you again.

My argument is that Sony's strategy of downsized console games on the go is not a winning strategy.  And it's not just me who doesn't like this strategy, Vita sales show that most people don't. 

You're rebuttal in regards to Pokemon just seems bitter.  You didn't dispell the point I'm making at all.  In addition to Pokemon only being available in Nintendo handhelds, here are some other games that underscore my point:

Super Mario 3D Land:  Despite being created EAD Tokyo, the same team responsible for Super Mario Galaxy 2, the game is much different from either SMG1 & 2.  It feels much more like a 2D Mario game in terms of structure.  The game features bite-sized levels which are very well designed and offers TONS of content.  It's a unique Mario experience you'll only get on the 3DS.  Also, notice that it Nintendo put a top team on this game, which isn't happening with CoD Vita or ACL.

Mario Kart 7:  Not only does it release years after the last series entry, but it also has new features that affect gameplay and keep things fresh.  Also, it's not a spinoff, it's  legitimate entry in the Mario Kart series AND it's developed in house.

Again, AssCreed Liberation and Call of Duty Vita are releasing at the same time as their console bretherns, they're both spinoffs,and their both created by B or C-level teams (Ubisoft Sofia and Nihilistic).  So what's the appeal?

The rest of your post went into focusing on examples of ported games, ignoring all the original content that actually sold the GBA and DS.  Also, we're not talking about what YOU like specifically, we're talking about what it would take for the a handheld system to take off.

I'm not the one counter arguing myself with examples.  You said the Vita will fail because they're giving you down-sized console games and it didn't matter on the 3DS since it has an "identity". I counter argued that the 3DS' identity is that same "down-sized console" games.  Every counter argument you've made with games are nothing but down-sized console games.  Super Mario 3D Land is a down-sized console game.  Mario Kart 7 is a down-sized console game, and happens to be a sequel to the Wii title, which is a console.  Pokemon is in the RPG genre that are, surprise, console titles and is nothing more than a down-sized one with its story stripped out.  So I ask you again; "What's your arguement?"

Cobretti2 said:
darkknightkryta said:
pezus said:
NintendoPie said:
Cobretti2 said:
*Buy a PS3 game and get Vita version for free.

OK THIS ONE IS STUPID.

For two reasons:
1. It simply shows that Sony is treating the Vita as a portable home console.
2. What incentives have developers got to make games for VITA if you can buy a PS3 game and get a free one for your portable? Why would anyone buy a vita version of a game ever again lol.

That's exactly what I thought when I read that.

What I thought: FUCK YEAH!! More free games

Exactly, I already paid for the game, dafuq do I have to pay for it again just to play it on a handheld?

you are both missing the point.

If i get a free game on Vita with my PS3 purchase, what incentive do I have of buying exclusive VITA games that are essentially the same game but a minor spin off? All it will do is hurt game sales on VITA when everyone (including me) will take full advantage of the "free" vita version

First of all... no one would buy the same game twice (for PS3 and for VITA). Most people would buy it just for one console. Now they can buy it once and have it on both consoles.

Second, the "minor spin offs" are independent games, they are not free if you buy the main game ( you get the SAME GAME twice). You would have to buy it.

I don't understand the problem you have with this. You just buy a game and can play it on your PS3 and on your VITA. That way instead of buying the same game twice you can buy 2 different games. Maybe the one on PS3 and a spinoff on VITA or anothes IP.

Who is this Spike guy from Playstation All Stars?

I asked that already but no one gave me an answer

darkknightkryta said:

I'm not the one counter arguing myself with examples.  You said the Vita will fail because they're giving you down-sized console games and it didn't matter on the 3DS since it has an "identity". I counter argued that the 3DS' identity is that same "down-sized console" games.  Every counter argument you've made with games are nothing but down-sized console games.  Super Mario 3D Land is a down-sized console game.  Mario Kart 7 is a down-sized console game, and happens to be a sequel to the Wii title, which is a console.  Pokemon is in the RPG genre that are, surprise, console titles and is nothing more than a down-sized one with its story stripped out.  So I ask you again; "What's your arguement?"

Not saying it'll fail, but rather it won't catch on.  It's pretty obvious, and I'm not sure why you don't see it.  You're argument that the 3DS is a downsized console is just plain wrong.  SM3DL and MK7 are not downsized console games.  They have no console counterparts at all.  Their legitimate entries in the series and not spinoffs by C-level teams.  If you don't want to admit that, then fine.  And your Pokemon statement just goes to show that you know you're wrong but want to play dumb and argue for arguments sake.  So I'm done!

When these games do nothing significantly boost the Vita, we'll revisit this convo.  

Assassins Creed Liberation: spinoff by a C-level team at Activision releasing next to the real thing on PS3.  No one is going to buy a watered down spinoff.

Call of Duty Vita: looks like a really poor effort by a C-level developer (Nihilistic) with only 4-on-4 online and is releasing next to the real deal on PS3.  Who's really going to buy that?

Killzone Vita:  This looks like a legitmate entry into the series and is developed by Guerilla.  Not a system mover by any stretch.  Killzone didn't move PS3s and it won't move Vitas.

Little Big Planet Vita:  See Killzone above...

Tearaway:  Best Vita game of the show, but unfortunately it's destined to be niche.

These games will sell to Sony/PS3 fans but will do nothing for Vita on the mass market.  Nintendo treats the 3DS with respect.  Sure there are a few ports to hold people over until the real 3DS specific software was released, but those games eventually came and pushed the system.  Sony's strategy has so far been providing outsourced spinoffs of their PS3 games.  Why even bother when superior versions are on the PS3?  It hasn't worked so far and it won't work going forward.  This is why the 3DS is selling and the Vita is not.