By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - ‘You’ve made your choice’: Man shares dad’s brutal letter disowning him for being gay

Runa216 said:
Boutros said:
Runa216 said:

And when people say they like FInal Fantasy XIII, that game sucks, there's no debating that :P (Just to clarify for those who will inevitably report me, that last comment was facetious) 

Sorry, I had already reported you twice before reading the parentheses.

Damn,

*Reported for bad words*

bitches

*Reported* *Reported* *Reported*

have hair triggers

*Reported for the word trigger because trigger = gun = violence = drugs and drugs are bad*

...or at least that's what your girlfriend told me.  

*Reported for making false assumptions that I have a girlfriend*

BAZINGA! 

*Reported for foreign language*

I hope there's a DECENT mod online so that they do their job FOR ONCE.

Around the Network
Runa216 said:
Boutros said:
Runa216 said:

And when people say they like FInal Fantasy XIII, that game sucks, there's no debating that :P (Just to clarify for those who will inevitably report me, that last comment was facetious) 

Sorry, I had already reported you twice before reading the parentheses.

Damn, bitches have hair triggers...or at least that's what your girlfriend told me.  BAZINGA! 

+1

@melbye Wow.

melbye said:
Choosing a fairytale over your son must be a sign of mental deficiency

Jesus is kind of hairy for a princess.

Runa216 said:
Marks said:
Runa216 said:
Marks said:

It's not something I would choose personally. And there may be some studies that support it not being a choice, but it will never be a set in stone fact such as 2+2=4. I still think nurture plays a big part as well as nature. 

While we're at it, The earth is the center of the universe, evolution is a myth, and the world is flat!  

Your claims here aren't up for debate though. The earth has been seen from space so we know for a fact it's flat and not the centre of the universe...and evolution has been well documented. But although there may be many solid sounding theories that homosexuality is nature, not nurture, it's not something there's a way to prove. 

Like I obviously don't think you can take a gay man and beat/electroshock the gay out of him or something stupid like that, but I do think as a child is developing that his lifestyle can contribute to his sexuality. 

Neither is the gay thing.  Did you read  darthdevidem01's post?  Educate yourself.  

From this point forward, I will have no problem calling anyone who doesn't accept homosexuality barbaric and bigoted.  So sick of this behaviour.  If you have a problem with gays or think it's an abomination or that it's a birth defect or that it's something that needs to be coaxed out of people then you are a sickening individual, and you don't deserve the right to discuss such issues with civilized folk.  

I'm not against gays, I'm all for them getting the right to marry and have equal rights and all that, all I said in my original post is I wouldn't be proud of my son if he was gay...but wouldn't disown him or anything. 

Runa216 said:
happydolphin said:

You couldn't be more deluded.

The number of debates I've had with Rol where I conceded points to him because he was simply right. If nobody has changed their opinions towards you, it's maybe because you have some homework to do.

Oh, I could be more deluded, but that's besides the point.  And how am I deluded?  People never change their opinions in online debates.  Even when utterly crushed under the weight of science, logic, and undeniable fact, I've never seen anyone say "you know, you're right!".  

Of course, "I've never seen" and "it never happens" aren't the same thing, but that's just arguing semantics.  the percentage of accepted losses to unaccepted losses is so unbalanced it's virtually true that nobody ever does.  

You like arguing semantics, don't you?  ...

Bold is a false logical jump. I never argued semantics, nor was I saying that "I've never seen" and "it never happens" are two different things (which they are but I never said so).

I was just saying I disagreed with you from personal experience.

So, another case of you thinking I was doing something (arguing semantics), when I wasn't. Your logic being on turbo makes you stumble almost every step of the way and it makes it a horror to debate with you.

Around the Network
happydolphin said:
Runa216 said:
happydolphin said:

You couldn't be more deluded.

The number of debates I've had with Rol where I conceded points to him because he was simply right. If nobody has changed their opinions towards you, it's maybe because you have some homework to do.

Oh, I could be more deluded, but that's besides the point.  And how am I deluded?  People never change their opinions in online debates.  Even when utterly crushed under the weight of science, logic, and undeniable fact, I've never seen anyone say "you know, you're right!".  

Of course, "I've never seen" and "it never happens" aren't the same thing, but that's just arguing semantics.  the percentage of accepted losses to unaccepted losses is so unbalanced it's virtually true that nobody ever does.  

You like arguing semantics, don't you?  ...

Bold is a false logical jump. I never argued semantics, nor was I saying that "I've never seen" and "it never happens" are two different things (which they are but I never said so).

So, another case of you thinking I was doing something (arguing semantics), when I wasn't. Your logic being on turbo makes you stumble almost every step of the way and it makes it a horror to debate with you.

I'm a fantastic debater.  I was captain of the debate team in public school, high school AND college, and I rarely lost.  No, I only 'suck' online, where nobody ever concedes a point, everyone is always right, and there's no such thing as right or wrong.  

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Runa216 said:
happydolphin said:

I'm a fantastic debater.  I was captain of the debate team in public school, high school AND college, and I rarely lost.  No, I only 'suck' online, where nobody ever concedes a point, everyone is always right, and there's no such thing as right or wrong.  

You ignored his entire post except for the last sentence. Do you concede to everything else he said? By ignoring the rest of his post, you're showing that you're no different from the typical online debater, because you're ignoring points that show that you were mistaken.

Marks said:
Your claims here aren't up for debate though. The earth has been seen from space so we know for a fact it's flat and not the centre of the universe...and evolution has been well documented. But although there may be many solid sounding theories that homosexuality is nature, not nurture, it's not something there's a way to prove.

Like I obviously don't think you can take a gay man and beat/electroshock the gay out of him or something stupid like that, but I do think as a child is developing that his lifestyle can contribute to his sexuality.

Research (like twin-research) hints that homosexuality at least have a genetic component. But you are right, that doesn't exclude the possibility, that the way children are brought up may influence later their sexual identity. But that doesn't mean it's not natural. The upbringing of children is part of nature and most bigger lifeforms has shown homosexual behaviour. Completely uninfluenced by humans they show homosexuality. If it is in their genes, in the surroundings, in the upbringing or in some combination of all that is of no importance to the fact, that homosexuality is completely natural. Nature is not genes alone, it's all including behaviour.

Also this brings up the question: what if research shows, that some parts of the bible taight as children turn them later into homosexuals? That does it mean, people should do? Not taught this chapters, or even forbid to taught it to children? Or taught it to turn them into homosexuals on purpose? Or let it the parents decide? Or what?

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Runa216 said:
Jay520 said:
Runa216 said:

I'm kind of mean, though.  I argue with people over things like this becuase I get a sort of a high knowing that I'm dealing with an ignoramus.  It feels good to know I'm better than some people, and seeing these threads is further proof.  I'm kind of mean, but at least I'm not trying to convince the world that being gay is a choice or peddling some other nonsense that is completely contradicted by science. 

You're cool, though.  I like you.  in fact I like most people on here, just not the ones that use religion as a basis for an argument and demand I take them seriously. 

This arrogant mentality is the prime reason why nobody ever changes their mind when debating. People are more open to agreeing with someone who is humble & respectful rather than someone who has already set his mind that he's the 'superior' man. And it's especially bad when not just one, but both debaters are like you. In these situations, you won't get anything close to a discussion or civilised debate. Just two people driven to 'win' the debate by any means necessary.

Yeah, but there's a difference between, say, hating or not hating Final Fantasy XIII and being plain wrong about something that has scientific proof.  

Like I said before, if it was something as simple as a difference of valid opinions, I really don't care and I do respect people who have different opinions, but there is such a thing as being wrong.  I only feel superior when someone tries to argue stupidly.  

I'm not just talking about Final Fantasy or just your posts in this thread. I'm talking about virtually every single post I've seen from you. You're posts reek off arrogance & condescension. It's like you feel like you're forcing youself to communicate with a lesser species or something. No one wants to talk to someone like that.

To the person that says religious books DO NOT say anything about homosexuals...I personally am disgusted by the replies on here but to say religious books do not say anything is a plain lie..

"“Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites, nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God.”
—1 Corinthians 6:9-10 (NKJV)

"Leviticus 18:22 - "Do not lie with a man as one lies with a woman; that is detestable." (NIV)

Leviticus 20:13 - "If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads." (NIV)"

In another verse, Lut advised them: 'Of all the creatures in the world, will you approach males, and leave those whom Allah has created for you to be your mates? No, you are a people transgressing (all limits)!' (Qur'an 26:165-166). The people rejected Lut and threw him out of the city. In response, God destroyed them as punishment for their transgressions and disobedience.

So IF you are a religious follower and your Son does follow that path then I'd say the letter is a very polite way to disagree considering what would have happened years ago and if you are religious, what could happen when you die.

Even if I personally do not agree with the letter it must be difficult for a religious family

"...the best way to prepare [to be a programmer] is to write programs, and to study great programs that other people have written. In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and fished out listings of their operating system." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

"Hey, Steve, just because you broke into Xerox's house before I did and took the TV doesn't mean I can't go in later and take the stereo." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

Bill Gates had Mac prototypes to work from, and he was known to be obsessed with trying to make Windows as good as SAND (Steve's Amazing New Device), as a Microsoft exec named it. It was the Mac that Microsoft took for its blueprint on how to make a GUI.

""Windows [n.] - A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.""