By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - ‘You’ve made your choice’: Man shares dad’s brutal letter disowning him for being gay

If that's all you have to add to the discussion, Runa, I suggest you leave the thread, either debate with people or stay our of the thread. Tossing around insults like that doesn't help anything.

Around the Network
Icy-Zone said:
llewdebkram said:

And a single 3 letter word in that letter is to blame for all that hate and predjudice, the word being...

'GOD'

GOD and the bible is surely responsible for more hate, prejudice, intollerence and evil than anything else EVER in the history of mankind!

http://www.reason4living.com/articles/totw0144.htm

More people have died in the name of atheism than by the name of God. Numbers hardly lie.

Numbers can lie if they are faked. Up to 60 million killed by Stalin? The number is nowhere near close to reality. Even numbers of 15 to 17 million actually include the 10+ million deaths from famine and disease, which is really debatable if it can be attributed to Stalin. Official documents and data does not reveal more than a couple of million dead through direct Stalinist violence (executions). Of course the number is larger because many sent at the gulags also died, and so did many of those deported. However most historians agree that it is unlikely that more than 10 millions were killed as a direct consequence of Stalin's rule -- and as I said roughly 17 million if famine numbers are included. That's less than 3.5 times smaller than the figure in the website quoted.

The other numbers are also horribly exaggerated, and the Christian numbes are extremely underestimated, and several Christian wars are completely left-out (the vast majority of medieval wars for example). Furthermore, the website fails to note that the human population was significantly smaller in the past and that you cannot simply count numbers as if the total human population is stable.

If there are 100 alive humans and someone kills 98, it is actually a greater massacre than someone killing 1000 from a population of 100 million. In the first situation, 98% of the human population is wiped out...

happydolphin said:
Jay520 said:

1.) a- You're right, negligence is a poor word. Perhaps, abandonment is a better word. Okay, how could you admire something as harmful as abandonment, simply because the person thinks it's right? That's your only reasoning - Because he thinks it's right. You are neutral on whether his actions are right or wrong. You just admire his actions because he thinks he's doing the right thing. That does not make sense to me. 

b- Would you admire a father for abandoning his son for being a Republican....simply because the father believes republicans are wrong?

2.) a- Those examples don't apply anymore because they were based on the idea that you thought the father's actions were wrong, yet you still admired them. Of course now I know that you don't think the father's actions were wrong.

b- And no, they could not apply to me. I said there is no reason to abandon a son for being gay... because a son's gayness will not harm you. This doesn't apply to rapists, killers, etc because the knowledge that a person rapes and kills can be disturbing to others. This does not apply to a person being gay. There is no reason to be disturbed by homosexuality.

Also, all killers and rapists perform actions that harm people. There is good reason to abandon these people. On the contrary, simply being gay harms no one. Some homosexuals don't even exercise their homosexuality. So abandoning someone for simply being homosexual is wrong.

3.) Do you agree that the father could remain in contact with the son while still disapproving of the son's lifestyle? 

1) Thanks for the negligence part. It helps to know you're actually talking to me and not just arguing.

Jay, I told you I didn't admire the abandonment. I admired him sticking to his convictions (being true to his feelings and convictions), what he did after that (abandonment, living with it outside of denial) is another thing I told you I didn't form an opinion on yet. 

As such, what I mean is I wouldn't admire the contrary (that everything is alright, when really it isn't). That's really all I'm trying to say. His actions only prove that he is respecting his feelings and convictions, as for whether it was the right thing to do or not is another story. I know this is subtle but read this again and if you still can't see what I mean ask again, I will clarify. Again, to be precise, I don't admire his actions (italics).

b) I would not, to be completely honest, and probably that proves that my judgement is tainted by my own convictions. Possibly I'm so certain that to judge someone on political division such as Republican or Democrat is a lack of judgement, you must be thinking the same on this issue. But to help contrast a little, what about participating in a Neo Natzist organization? That might make things a little more apples to apples I would think.

2) I neither consider his actions wrong nor right, I have yet to form an opinion, I think you got that part.

b- So first you give the impression that abandonment is wrong no matter what, but now I get the idea that you would in the case of gross crime (bold). Then why make me defend point 1?

3) I think so. It would be quite commendable given this person's feelings on the matter.

@spurge. I second that

Please tell me you didn't compare homosexuality to being a neo-nazi...

Torillian said:
If that's all you have to add to the discussion, Runa, I suggest you leave the thread, either debate with people or stay our of the thread. Tossing around insults like that doesn't help anything.

I've added plenty to the thread throughout its duration.  And it's not an insult, it's an observation, and by turning them into a joke, they can't be taken seriously, as they shouldn't be.  by not taking the bigoted seriously, you take away their power.  

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Torillian said:

Quite true.  In reality all it does is ensure longer homophobia as you end up making people who support gay marriage look bad to someone in the middleground.  Even if someone has a somewhat illogical wrong arguement, they'll win every time if the otherside is resorting to childish trolling and immaturity.

Most arguements on the internet are actually made for the silentless lurkers who read threads.  Something like an average of 90% of most forum readers never actually post on a website... and demographicaly speaking, these people tend to be much more moderate politically then those who post in threads.

Moderate in pretty much every degree really.  Though GTA and CoD are pretty trashed here, and it seems like the majority of the users hate the game.  Chances are, most people who read these forums actually LOVE those games.

That's why internet participation so rarely works... except in niche markets where the active fanbase are the only people likely to buy the game at first anyway.

The silly piling on and graphics you tend to see on such matters, and political matters on both sides actually tend to do nothing but hurt.

No doubt the "Chick Fil-A Apreciation Day" movement that far suprassed the protests was driven in large part by the lurker 90% seeing silly gifs on facebok insulting people and self congradulating calling people stupid comments.

By people who may have been leaning towaads things like gay marriage, but got angry and frustrated that somebody would trivilize their thought process as such.

Around the Network
Runa216 said:
Torillian said:

I've added plenty to the thread throughout its duration.  And it's not an insult, it's an observation, and by turning them into a joke, they can't be taken seriously, as they shouldn't be.  by not taking the bigoted seriously, you take away their power.  

Hey man, I am all for LGBT rights, and I really appreciate the fact that you have so much passion for such the cause, so I would like to thank you for that... thank you!

I just want to tell you that sometimes we have to be a lot less aggressive when we discuss such sensitive topics, because honestly, the sole reason I discuss these stuff with people is trying to make a change. No matter how right I am, the likelihood of making those changes happen are next to zero if I am being blunt or rude. In the past few years I have managed to change 3 of my religious mates perspective on LGBT rights and toning down my anger was key.

It's all about why we are doing this in the first place, to make the world a better place for everyone, right? I see no harm in discussing these stuff in ways different than the ones you are employing in this thread which I don't think they've served you or your cause well. It's not just about being right, it's about conveying the message in a way that others will accept it.

I am not trying to preach here since I made mistakes in this particular thread myself, so take take it as  friendly advice. :)

Frozone said:
"Yeah, me banning you for posting this was out of line..."

No it wasn't out of line it was just idiotic, you said you banned me for saying this "that 8/10 gay couples who adopted children ended up with a child who turned out to be gay when they become older."

When I wasn't the one who said it, I was quoting someone else that said it hence the " marks. Pay attention next time.

You put a quote mark at the beginning and never again.  The second half of the post "I believe" was your words.  If it wasn't, you still are encouraging homophobia.  

Hmmmm.  Did you call me idiotic?  I think that you did.  Guess what that gets you? 

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Cub said:
Runa216 said:
Torillian said:

Hey man, I am all for LGBT rights, and I really appreciate the fact that you have so much passion for such the cause, so I would like to thank you for that... thank you!

I just want to tell you that sometimes we have to be a lot less aggressive when we discuss such sensitive topics, because honestly, the sole reason I discuss these stuff with people is trying to make a change. No matter how right I am, the likelihood of making those changes happen are next to zero if I am being blunt or rude. In the past few years I have managed to change 3 of my religious mates perspective on LGBT rights and toning down my anger was key.

It's all about why we are doing this in the first place, to make the world a better place for everyone, right? I see no harm in discussing these stuff in ways different than the ones you are employing in this thread which I don't think they've served you or your cause well. It's not just about being right, it's about conveying the message in a way that others will accept it.

I am not trying to preach here since I made mistakes in this particular thread myself, so take take it as  friendly advice. :)

Normally, and ideally, I'd agree.  it doesn't come across well online due to my confrontational nature about certain issues, but I actually hate conflict.  I spent the better part of a quarter century trying to make a difference by passive means, preaching tolerance and love, denouncing bigotry and hatred.  20+ years of trying to do the right thing but never resorting to violence, and you know how much of a change I made in the world?  virtually nothing. just saying "Love and accept those who are different" does nothing but alert the world that you believe in it.  unless you're taking action, by finding ways to actively steal the voice of those who would use it to harm minorities, you're never going to make a difference.  They're still going to do what they can to harm those who think or act differently, or who are part of a minority, and unless you STOP them from doing so, well, the cycle continues and they pass that bigotry on to their children.  

I am so vocal against certain types of bigotry and intolerance not becuase I love conflict (I really, really don't), but becuase I know that the only way I'm going to make the world a better place is to fight back.   you don't win a fight by curling in a ball and waiting  until they're tired, you defend yourself, and sometimes that means throwing a few punches back;  some people won't stop until they are knocked out.  sometimes hate is so strong that no amount of wellwishing and kind words will stop them.  

So yes, sometimes you have to be aggressive.  

Truth be told, I'm actually a pacifist, I hate using violence to solve my problems and I would rather discuss my differences...but sometimes you have no choice.  when it comes down to it and you have to chose between fighting back and dying, you fight back.  

I fight back.  

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

I've decided to lock this thread because the discussion has run it's course and every time that someone bumps it, problems occur.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger