By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - ‘You’ve made your choice’: Man shares dad’s brutal letter disowning him for being gay

Runa216 said:

Then don't.  I don't want to talk to people who refuse to accept science as truth.  Far as I'm concerned, anyone who thinks being gay is a choice, black people are inferior, that jews are the devil, or any other sexist, racist thing (especially those who use the bible as a REASON to feel that way) ARE lesser than  I am; they are barbarians, uncivilized whelps who deserve no respect or acceptance.  

I am incredibly easy to get along with, provided the people I'm talking to are reasonable, intelligent people.  Ignorance and intolerance get only disdain and hatred from me.  am I perfect?  hell no, but I'm sure as shootin better than racist, sexist pigs.  

And people who like Final Fantasy XIII, those blokes have no taste in quality games! 

Who the hell said I was racist or sexist??

Around the Network
happydolphin said:
Runa216 said:

Then don't.  I don't want to talk to people who refuse to accept science as truth.  Far as I'm concerned, anyone who thinks being gay is a choice, black people are inferior, that jews are the devil, or any other sexist, racist thing (especially those who use the bible as a REASON to feel that way) ARE lesser than  I am; they are barbarians, uncivilized whelps who deserve no respect or acceptance.  

I am incredibly easy to get along with, provided the people I'm talking to are reasonable, intelligent people.  Ignorance and intolerance get only disdain and hatred from me.  am I perfect?  hell no, but I'm sure as shootin better than racist, sexist pigs.  

And people who like Final Fantasy XIII, those blokes have no taste in quality games! 

Who the hell said I was racist or sexist??

Nobody.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Runa216 said:

Nobody.

So basically your post had nothing to do with Jay's post apart from your likening sexual preference to a person's race.

happydolphin said:
Runa216 said:

Nobody.

So basically your post had nothing to do with Jay's post apart from your likening sexual preference to a person's race.

it had to do with the people who ARE being racist and sexist.  It's up to you to identify who those people are. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

Runa216 said:

it had to do with the people who ARE being racist and sexist.  It's up to you to identify who those people are. 

This far in the thread I haven't seen any.

Around the Network
happydolphin said:
Runa216 said:

This far in the thread I haven't seen any.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEO_28VrJLQ 

If you don't know who it is, it's you

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

Moderated: Kasz216

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

"You raise an interesting poi nt. About 15 years ago I saw this TV program that studied gay behaviour and gay parents. Please don't ask me to reference it as I do not remember what it was.

What it discovered (assuming it wasn't altered results) is that 8/10 gay couples who adopted children ended up with a child who turned out to be gay when they become older.

Now was this genetics or simply influence like in a straight family where children learn that straight is the norm in their house hold? also jsut like racists a taught to be racist and not born racist."

It would be influence, if a child were to grow up in a gay household surrounded by gay men it would only be a normal way of life for him, it would be all he would know for the most part so obviously the odds of him ending up gay is gonna be higher than a person from a normal family.

I don't think genetics are a huge part in it really, people are just attracted to different kinds of people, some like blondes some like red heads, some like asians and some just like men, it's just a matter of taste.

I think people that have noticed they are attracted to the same sex should at least try and fight it, they definitley shouldnt be encouraged, being gay is not something to be proud of, life isnt created from it and it just spreads disease. They do themselves no favours by being so obviously gay thats why theres most of the hate for them..

It's one thing to like men but theres no need to put on the silly voice, where the silly clothes and have the exaggerated female mannerisms, they're still men.

-post moderated by amp316-

Frozone said:
"You raise an interesting poi nt. About 15 years ago I saw this TV program that studied gay behaviour and gay parents. Please don't ask me to reference it as I do not remember what it was.

What it discovered (assuming it wasn't altered results) is that 8/10 gay couples who adopted children ended up with a child who turned out to be gay when they become older.

Now was this genetics or simply influence like in a straight family where children learn that straight is the norm in their house hold? also jsut like racists a taught to be racist and not born racist."

It would be influence, if a child were to grow up in a gay household surrounded by gay men it would only be a normal way of life for him, it would be all he would know for the most part so obviously the odds of him ending up gay is gonna be higher than a person from a normal family.

I don't think genetics are a huge part in it really, people are just attracted to different kinds of people, some like blondes some like red heads, some like asians and some just like men, it's just a matter of taste.

I think people that have noticed they are attracted to the same sex should at least try and fight it, they definitley shouldnt be encouraged, being gay is not something to be proud of, life isnt created from it and it just spreads disease. They do themselves no favours by being so obviously gay thats why theres most of the hate for them..

It's one thing to like men but theres no need to put on the silly voice, where the silly clothes and have the exaggerated female mannerisms, they're still men.

Well there's your problem

Yep, just like all those gay kids who grew up in straight households and ended up gay, or all those nerds growing up in jock culture, or all those hippies growing up in a square environment.  

Wow, that just...wow.  Ladies and gentlemen, Exhibit A.  you guys want to know why I've become so bitter throughout this thread, resorting to dismissive condemnation and aggressive disregard?  This is precisely why: comments like this.   

1 - Anyone with a brain (and especially those with particularly extraordinary ones) know that there are few things more emotionally or mentally scarring than forcing people to go agaisnt their instincts.  Sure, there are SOME instincts that are harmful and should be dissuaded (like that desire to shit on your boss's desk when he pisses you off), but there's no reason to condemn homosexuality, as the act itself doesn't do any harm (in fact it does good)

2 - They most certainly should be encouraged.  diversity and honesty are important parts of a stable, healthy environment.  

3 - No, something you are born with is NOT something you should be proud of, you should be proud of something you earned, such as winning an olympic medal or graduating college as a member of the dean's list/honor roll.  However, just because you shouldn't be PROUD of something that's innate, you certainly shouldn't be ashamed of it any more than you should be ashamed if you were black, or had an oddly shaped nose, or were born with really big hands.  

4 - Life may not be created from it, but that doesn't mean it's a bad thing.  abstinence doesn't create life either, but you don't see anyone protesting the clergy's desire to not procreate (and I won't even make an altar boy joke!).  In fact, it's BETTER to not make life becuase our population is horribly over capacity and that's one of the main reasons Climate change exists and so many people live in poverty.  the world could use a HUGE dip in birth rate, and Gays are one of the best ways to go about doing that:  the more people who are homosexual, the less new births there are! 

5 - Causality.  Learn about it. Correlation is not the same as causality.  Disease can be spread by ANY unprotected sex, and those stats you use are outdated by close to 30 years.  The world has changed, time to get with the times.  Also, holy shit ignorance here!  What if I told you that playing games made you fat?  

6 - No, there's hate for them becuase the church decided that homosexuality is apparently a sin, which I belive originated from the pope deciding that every sperm is sacred, and condemning any act that spilled sperm and didn't make more catholic babies.  Even as the world matured, some of our old traditions just won't go away, and religion is one of them.  Also, assuming that ALL gays prance about in pink spandex and sparkly feather boas is the worst kind of stereotyping.  This is precisely WHY I have no respect for those who have no respect for gays. 

So yeah, every single thing you said is fallacious in some way or another.  *Insert joke about not remembering how to breathe* 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

Frozone said:

This is most probably wrong from what research has shown.

After analysing research both the APA & ACLU have stated that children who have gay parents have the same odds of being heterosexual or homosexual as children who have straight parents. In fact the vast majority of children adopted or brought up by gay parents are straight. 

Overview of Lesbian and Gay Parenting, Adoption and Foster Care - April 6, 1999 Fact Sheet - ACLU

Now I'm not sure what the number is for biological children of gay parents (via surrogacy), but as there is some genetic link with homosexuality the number of children who become homosexual may be higher.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey