By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mystery solved: Why Peach always gets "Kidnapped"

Tagged games:

cusman said:
AbbathTheGrim said:
hmm, I always thought the reason involved lack of creativity.

Kids love simple motivations like save the princess as the driver to hook the player with an objective and let them proceed with enjoying the game. More complex naratives is not really the reason people play a Mario game.

Yeah, it is perfect for kids. Play Castle Crashers and you could have an idea of to which direction Mario could be taken without polluting the gameplay with cutscenes and narratives.

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

Around the Network
Viper1 said:
The story is what makes a Mario game suck?

A game where story is almost completely, entirely and wholly irrelevant and that is what makes the game suck?

Haters hate. But hey, I'm sure Frozone likes Visual Novels: great story, but no gameplay.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_novel

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

curl-6 said:
Frozone said:
Oops meant these games, as in most Mario games and they suck because its the same repetitive childish storyline every game. Odd how COD gets put down for that but Mario can.

Because Mario's not about story.

COD also not.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

curl-6 said:
mysticwolf said:
curl-6 said:
AbbathTheGrim said:
mysticwolf said:
I do enjoy when games have good stories, but it isn't a huge deal. It would just be nice to see some new villains.

How hard is it to give another reason to Mario to go forward in levels? That is just plain laziness what they do.

Why change it when change isn't necessary?

No, but you'd think that after 50 times, Mario would figure out a way to prevent Peach from getting kidnapped.

As the OP would suggest, Mario's not too bright. ;)

But he has a medical degree.

Kyuubi Ricky SSJ2 said:
curl-6 said:

A plumber with a medical degree?

Around the Network
Andrespetmonkey said:
Kyuubi Ricky SSJ2 said:
curl-6 said:

A plumber with a medical degree?

Yes.

AbbathTheGrim said:
Viper1 said:
AbbathTheGrim said:
mysticwolf said:
I do enjoy when games have good stories, but it isn't a huge deal. It would just be nice to see some new villains.

How hard is it to give another reason to Mario to go forward in levels? That is just plain laziness what they do.

You're right.  I can't believe how much fun I've had over the years polaying Mario games when i shouldn't have.  Wow.  I've completely fallen for the 'save the princess' mechanic countless times all in the name of good, clean platforming fun.

I swear from here on out that I will never play another Mario game again until Mario's motivation for running to the right side of the screen is changed from saving the kidnapped princess to signing an intergallactic peace treaty with the High Priestess of Draydion beore the Karpathins finalize the Red Shift Quantum Harmonizer and obliterate the 9th dimension.

And, and....he needs to wear space armor.   And they need to replace the fire flower with a molten obsidian plasma thrower.   And he should stop driving go karts and switch to a star cruiser with a quantum tunneling drive. 

Man, I'm motivated to run to the right side of the screen now for sure.

Kind of makes it seem you think I have an agenda to change people's mind when in fact I don't give a damn what other gamers like or not. But I have the freedom to critize stuff, specially games people try to regard as flawless when they are far from it.

It is simple, they can give Mario another reason to get to the last level but they don't come up with anything. Koopa kidnapps the Princess. That is all, that is laziness and lack of creativity.

It seems like you made an attempt to ridicule complex storylines there, it seems.

The thing is they do give other reasons than just "Save the princess".  Koopa turns people into blocks, tries to recreate the universe, leads an army against the mushroom kingdom, steals magic wands and turns kings into animals, wants cake, and in the RPG's he does have complex motivation.  I'm just saying.

d21lewis said:
AbbathTheGrim said:
Viper1 said:
AbbathTheGrim said:
mysticwolf said:

You're right.  I can't believe how much fun I've had over the years polaying Mario games when i shouldn't have.  Wow.  I've completely fallen for the 'save the princess' mechanic countless times all in the name of good, clean platforming fun.

I swear from here on out that I will never play another Mario game again until Mario's motivation for running to the right side of the screen is changed from saving the kidnapped princess to signing an intergallactic peace treaty with the High Priestess of Draydion beore the Karpathins finalize the Red Shift Quantum Harmonizer and obliterate the 9th dimension.

And, and....he needs to wear space armor.   And they need to replace the fire flower with a molten obsidian plasma thrower.   And he should stop driving go karts and switch to a star cruiser with a quantum tunneling drive. 

Kind of makes it seem you think I have an agenda to change people's mind when in fact I don't give a damn what other gamers like or not. But I have the freedom to critize stuff, specially games people try to regard as flawless when they are far from it.

It is simple, they can give Mario another reason to get to the last level but they don't come up with anything. Koopa kidnapps the Princess. That is all, that is laziness and lack of creativity.

It seems like you made an attempt to ridicule complex storylines there, it seems.

The thing is they do give other reasons than just "Save the princess".  Koopa turns people into blocks, tries to recreate the universe, leads an army against the mushroom kingdom, steals magic wands and turns kings into animals, wants cake, and in the RPG's he does have complex motivation.  I'm just saying.

I was wrong. I guess there is indeed variation.

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
AbbathTheGrim said:
mysticwolf said:

You know what? You actually have a point. Sooner or later people Will get tired of jumping through obstacles for the sole purpose of saving a woman in need. The motivation to play these Mario games will simply not be there anymore unless Nintendo finds a new way of encouraging people to get through the tough shit that is Mushroom Kingdom.

It has worked for twenty-seven years. I do not think there's going to be a big need to change anytime soon.

AbbathTheGrim said:
d21lewis said:
AbbathTheGrim said:
Viper1 said:
AbbathTheGrim said:
mysticwolf said:

I was wrong. I guess there is indeed variation.

Wha....what do you mean you were wrong?  I wasn't expecting that.  I just feel like arguing.  I say you were right! No matter what the storyline is, it always comes down to an epic battle between Mario, Bowser, and saving the Princess.  Even Daisy (and how did she end up being Luigi's girlfriend, anyway?  Mario saved her first!) was just another "save the princess" story.