By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Most technically advanced game on Wii?

lilbroex said:
theRepublic said:
lilbroex said:

Overloard Dark Legac: Best used of Dynamic Shadows I can remember on the system and second best for use of physics in an active environment.

I own this game and had a lot of fun beating it, but I have no idea what you are talking about.  What physics?  If I am not mistaken, the majority of the destructible items are all done with pre-baked animations.

The number one thing I remember about the graphics was how blurry this game was.

"How blurry it was" disparaging art style = irrelevent. This is about tech not preference.

How many time have a said this now? Your opinion of how much you like the game or how well it visually appealed to you are 100% completely irrelevent. We are talking about "advanced tech" as in things that require high level programming on the hardware and use greater resources. We are taling about matters that are fact, not opinion.

If you do not know/understand something then please don't make negative assumptions of it. Ask or search for information. Its not difficult to do.  I can not word this any nicer than that.

So having low quality textures has nothing to do with how technically good the graphics are?  That does not make any sense.  They probably had to stick with the low resolution to keep the game running smoothly.  That has everything to do with using"greater resources".

I just watched a couple of videos, and something else I must be remembering is the fog they use to cut down the draw distance.  It blurrs objects in the distance.  Almost like there is a soft focus filter over the whole thing.

I actually liked the art style of this game by the way.  That doesn't mean it was technically well done though.

Now, are you going to actually answer the question about "What physics?", or are you going to contine to talk about something I never said?

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Around the Network
lilbroex said:
retroking1981 said:
From a purely graphical stand point i'm gonna go with that Dead Space game or RE: Darkside chronicles, I guess them being on rails means the console can put more effort into the graphics?

I might have to check out Last Story as a lot of you seem impressed by that.

Also one quick question. Why the hell do so many Wii games have horrific jaggies? The worst offenders in my collection are No More Heroes and Metroid Other M. Hell didin't the N64 use anti-aliasing technology all the way back in 1996? Wtf happened? Did Nintendo forget to put it in the Wii?

That argument has never made sense, ever. I'm not even sure how people came up with this.

There is nothing about a game being on a guided path that allows anymore resources to be invested into graphics than if you had simply made a FPS.

Actually, there is a lot to it.  And the fact you don't understand that explains a lot of your posts.   You don't understand video game development as well as you lead on.

Do you really think Infinity Blade on iOS would have looked that good if it were not on rails?

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Viper1 said:
lilbroex said:
retroking1981 said:
From a purely graphical stand point i'm gonna go with that Dead Space game or RE: Darkside chronicles, I guess them being on rails means the console can put more effort into the graphics?

I might have to check out Last Story as a lot of you seem impressed by that.

Also one quick question. Why the hell do so many Wii games have horrific jaggies? The worst offenders in my collection are No More Heroes and Metroid Other M. Hell didin't the N64 use anti-aliasing technology all the way back in 1996? Wtf happened? Did Nintendo forget to put it in the Wii?

That argument has never made sense, ever. I'm not even sure how people came up with this.

There is nothing about a game being on a guided path that allows anymore resources to be invested into graphics than if you had simply made a FPS.

Actually, there is a lot to it.  And the fact you don't understand that explains a lot of your posts.   You don't understand video game development as well as you lead on.

Do you really think Infinity Blade on iOS would have looked that good if it were not on rails?

That doesn't matter. We are not talking about the IOS or Infinity Blade. Its  a completely different type of game that works in a completely different way.

since the "digital foundry vs. wii u at e3" thread from few months ago i like reading lilbroex talking about graphics.

lilbroex said:
Viper1 said:

That doesn't matter. We are not talking about the IOS or Infinity Blade. Its  a completely different type of game that works in a completely different way.

Do you stare at a point when you walk around it or just act like it's not even there?

There are several gameplay tricks that can open up resources that would be consumed in a fully open world game environment.  Ever wonder why God Of War looks so incredible?  

Did you know that on rails game play mechanic was developed originally with the sole purpose being that it allowed the developers to graphically do things they wouldn't ordinarily be able to do? 

Around the Network
Viper1 said:
lilbroex said:
Viper1 said:

Do you stare at a point when you walk around it or just act like it's not even there?

There are several gameplay tricks that can open up resources that would be consumed in a fully open world game environment.  Ever wonder why God Of War looks so incredible?  

Did you know that on rails game play mechanic was developed originally with the sole purpose being that it allowed the developers to graphically do things they wouldn't ordinarily be able to do? 

Its not relevent. What you are doing is a fallacy called "red herring" as well as the fallacy of composition. You're trying to make a point out of something unrelated based on a simple similarity while omitting all other facts. Your fallaciously making the assumption that because rail shooters were done a certain way at one point that it is done in this situation as well without comparing any points.

God of War only looks incredible to people who don't know what they are looking at and Sony fans. I'm well aware of what it does. Yes I know why the on rails mechanic was made and was much similar to why FPS games were made, turn based games, CG based games, games with long load screens, games with , games with fast load screens, games no loads screens, games with a large array of colors, games with a small array of colors, games with a shifting array of colors etc... There are many such techniques and methodologies.

Most FPS games only showed the guns and "maybe" the characters hands and arms, but you see nothing when you look down. There are many now that also shows the character legs and feet when you look down. There is a reason why most of the first 3d PC games were first person. Making a game simply first person was actually the easier and less technically/graphically intensive than rail shooters back then. Rail shooter's were a step up.

Most of all, I already explained the Extraction/Darkside Chronicles vs rail component in the post at the top of the page before you even started this pointless argument. Why would I bother repeating myself?

>User was moderated for this post [RH]

lilbroex said:
Viper1 said:

Its not relevent. What you are doing is a fallacy called "red herring" as well as the fallacy of composition. You're trying to make a point out of something unrelated based on a simple similarity while omitting all other facts. Your fallaciously making the assumption that because rail shooters were done a certain way at one point that it is done in this situation as well without comparing any points.

God of War only looks incredible to people who don't know what they are looking at and Sony fans. I'm well aware of what it does. Yes I know why the on rails mechanic was made and was much similar to why FPS games were made, turn based games, CG based games, games with long load screens, games with , games with fast load screens, games no loads screens, games with a large array of colors, games with a small array of colors, games with a shifting array of colors etc... There are many such techniques and methodologies.

Most FPS games only showed the guns and "maybe" the characters hands and arms, but you see nothing when you look down. There are many now that also shows the character legs and feet when you look down. There is a reason why most of the first 3d PC games were first person. Making a game simply first person was actually the easier and less technically/graphically intensive than rail shooters back then. Rail shooter's were a step up.

Most of all, I already explained the Extraction/Darkside Chronicles vs rail component in the post at the top of the page before you even started this pointless argument. Why would I bother repeating myself?

So you can also dance around a point too.

Why don't you explain to me in technical terms why on rails does not permit greater graphical performance over a fully open game environment.  You posited that it doesn't make a difference.  Now I'd like you to back that up with specifics.

And there is some irony in your post.  You proclaimed my post was riddled with several logical fallacies wihtout realizing you were committing fallacies yourself.

Viper1 said:

So you can also dance around a point too.

Why don't you explain to me in technical terms why on rails  permit greater graphical performance over a fully open game environment.  You posited that it doesn't make a difference.  Now I'd like you to back that up with specifics.

And there is some irony in your post.  You proclaimed my post was riddled with several logical fallacies wihtout realizing you were committing fallacies yourself.

First off. actually reading what I wrote would help a lot. Second, I said "it didn't matter in those games" not that it doesn't matter in general=straw man fallacy. You are trying to get me to answer a loaded question and claiming I'm dancing around the point by not answering it. I never said that onrails "does not" permit greater graphical performance. "Tense" makes a big difference when supposedly quoting. I acknolwedged the circumstance in which they could vs what was being addressed before you even started this.

I specified the difference between such things, once again, in the post at the top of the page. If you actually read what I wrote instead of trying skew what I say to work yourself into a less unfavorable position in the argument(that was redundant from the start) then you would know that.

I'm not dancing around any point. I am refusing to repeat my own point. You are trying to make a claim off of one things(Infinity Blade and past rail shooters)  and then imposing that on someting completely different(Extraction/Darkside Chronicles)based on the similarity in genre while disregarding other probabilities, facts and details =affirming the consquent. Show me where I used a fallacy.

You never had a point.

DieAppleDie said:
Metroid other M looks insane in cut scenes, but the in game grafix are not that good imo

Well, from a technical point of view it has a lot of surface shaders, (including normal mapping) high poly characters with pretty complex animation skeletons, and ran at 60fps.

Mr Puggsly said:
Resident Evil 4.

Looks great and not on rails.

Not even close. It's a good looking game but its Gamecube roots are all too evident in its low res textures.

lilbroex said:
Viper1 said:
lilbroex said:
Viper1 said:

>User was moderated for this post [RH]

Your God of War thing is totally valid because it wouldnt look that good with a fully controlable camera  and if it wouldn't be constantly zoomed out. (I wonder why mods dont get banned for trolling lol)

There is another thing ALOT (NOT ALL!!!) PS fans dont want to realize which is  alot of games use prerendered videos that run in 1080p because the PS3 can utilize its bluray player. They are faking in game cutscenes with prerendered highres, high poly etc videos... And alot of things like the close up faces in heavy rain or the (loading/install? screen) of metal gear4 put all the hardware power into 1 face/ 1 character. The real game models look far worse. 

People you dont believe me? Go back to the N64  and Look at super mario 64.  Intro floating Mario face   SUPER COOL  VS  ingame mario face  ugly with texture eyes not even really modelled etc.     Reason?  Intro face was a closeup model with nothing else just the face. The only purpose of stuff like this is to show of and create a fake image of the whole package.  This is also why devs use bullshots to manipulate the reception of the games.  Think about it.

Other than that I have to agree that the Wii was crippled by lazy devs.  I mean even Splinter Cell on Gamecube looks better than COD etc on Wii because instead of trying to make the best of it  devs just  crippled the 360/ps3 version and removed everything the Wii couldnt handle instead of coming up with replacement effects etc.  

Reginleiv really looks awesome I have to give it a try I hope It deosnt need to much knowledge of the japanese language.