By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Most technically advanced game on Wii?

kresnik
i fully agree....with everything....including the last sentence...i was afraid of libroex....xD

Around the Network

From a purely graphical stand point i'm gonna go with that Dead Space game or RE: Darkside chronicles, I guess them being on rails means the console can put more effort into the graphics?

I might have to check out Last Story as a lot of you seem impressed by that.

Also one quick question. Why the hell do so many Wii games have horrific jaggies? The worst offenders in my collection are No More Heroes and Metroid Other M. Hell didin't the N64 use anti-aliasing technology all the way back in 1996? Wtf happened? Did Nintendo forget to put it in the Wii?

^^^`
i think it depends if devs want to use it or not
true NMH had horrible jaggies that ruined the grafix

i forgot about Dead space EX
it had truly great grafix

Very few games looked as gorgeous as The galaxy games in my opinion.

lilbroex said:

Overloard Dark Legac: Best used of Dynamic Shadows I can remember on the system and second best for use of physics in an active environment.

I own this game and had a lot of fun beating it, but I have no idea what you are talking about.  What physics?  If I am not mistaken, the majority of the destructible items are all done with pre-baked animations.

The number one thing I remember about the graphics was how blurry this game was.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
Switch - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (2014/2017)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links

Around the Network
retroking1981 said:
From a purely graphical stand point i'm gonna go with that Dead Space game or RE: Darkside chronicles, I guess them being on rails means the console can put more effort into the graphics?

I might have to check out Last Story as a lot of you seem impressed by that.

Also one quick question. Why the hell do so many Wii games have horrific jaggies? The worst offenders in my collection are No More Heroes and Metroid Other M. Hell didin't the N64 use anti-aliasing technology all the way back in 1996? Wtf happened? Did Nintendo forget to put it in the Wii?

That argument has never made sense, ever. I'm not even sure how people came up with this.

There is nothing about a game being on a guided path that allows anymore resources to be invested into graphics than if you had simply made a FPS. The gameplay style does not afford the system anymore spare resources.

I would call extractino pitiful if it were not for that one boss fight that used HDR lighting. Overall that game wasn't all that special. Darkside Chronicles, on the other hands, pull off some pretty advanced effects in tandem.

theRepublic said:
lilbroex said:

Overloard Dark Legac: Best used of Dynamic Shadows I can remember on the system and second best for use of physics in an active environment.

I own this game and had a lot of fun beating it, but I have no idea what you are talking about.  What physics?  If I am not mistaken, the majority of the destructible items are all done with pre-baked animations.

The number one thing I remember about the graphics was how blurry this game was.

"How blurry it was" disparaging art style = irrelevent. This is about tech not preference.

How many time have a said this now? Your opinion of how much you like the game or how well it visually appealed to you are 100% completely irrelevent. We are talking about "advanced tech" as in things that require high level programming on the hardware and use greater resources. We are taling about matters that are fact, not opinion.

If you do not know/understand something then please don't make negative assumptions of it. Ask or search for information. Its not difficult to do.  I can not word this any nicer than that.

"That argument has never made sense, ever. I'm not even sure how people came up with this"

it makes a lot of sense to me
if you can move the camera you force the console to have the whole scene rendered at the same time 360 degrees
while on rails games only render a part of the scene
and that way they can put all resources on that part

DieAppleDie said:
"That argument has never made sense, ever. I'm not even sure how people came up with this"

it makes a lot of sense to me
if you can move the camera you force the console to have the whole scene rendered at the same time 360 degrees
while on rails games only render a part of the scene
and that way they can put all resources on that part

That is, indeed, possible but only in old, straight foward games. In fact, what you just said is actually no different than an old style FPS. 

In the ones on the Wii the areas are fully detailed and present. The camera spins around constantly and shifts to different areas in the evironment often showcasing entire areas. The only difference between Extraction/ RE Chonricles and a regular FPS is that you don't actively control all of the momvent.

Nothing in those games suggests that it was piling graphics into the area that was in front of you and nothing else. Nothing suggest that the game would not run just as well if you were actually moving around manually. There was no area in the game where you could not at some point view the entire detailed range of the environment while fighting in real time.

The only benefit to those games that I can immediately think of is the lack of needing to go to some kind of load screen for major room transitions, but they in fact have load screens or cutscenes for those events in the games. Not that it was needed on the other games that used the same engine and level of graphical fidelity. Nothing in either of those games was near detailed enough to not be able to produce in a regular FPS.

Resident Evil 4.

Looks great and not on rails.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)