By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Most technically advanced game on Wii?

curl-6 said:
lilbroex said:

Oh, and how could I forget this game.

When it comes to character detail, I can't think of another game that did it better than Other M.

What about Conduit 1 and 2? Those did normal mapped characters.

Project Zero 2: Wii Edition and Fatal Frame 4 also had very nice looking playable characters; they weren't normal mapped or anything, but were very high poly with some nice clothing animation.

The human characters looked pretty good in Silent Hill: Shattered Memories and Dead Space Extraction as well, with lifelike animations, particularly with their facial expressions.

DRAE_nmhar said:

Donkey Kong Country Returns should be one of them. 

I don't know much about the tech behind it, but it's certainly a gorgeous looking game; the animations are so full of character, the environments so beautifully detailed and dynamic, the framerate silky smooth, and best of all, as is expected from Retro, the art direction rocks. 

Those certainly had the effects but but wasn't done as well. The geometry just wasn't there, and in the Conduit 2, the evironments were generally low res to point where is clashed.

The Conduits and Tournmanet of Legends didn't seem to do much more than show off that they were putting in more effort than the average devs. The design and detail weren't there and overall it didn't really do that much. No physics, no environmental destruction, no dynamic shadows or lighting, no anti-alasing, no anisotrophic filtering. When you looked at the enemies up close you could see that they really weren't that detailed and there were so few on screen at once.

Take this photo for example. They have some nice bloom and enemie's with texture effects but look at everything else around them.

It was really lacking in geometry and it used really simple, low quality textures.

It was a nice effort but it doens't come close to Other M.

Around the Network
lilbroex said:

Oh, and how could I forget this game.

When it comes to character detail, I can't think of another game that did it better than Other M.

I often see Other M compared to the Xbox's Ninja Gaiden Black, since they're made by the same developer, both run at 60fps, and both push their respective consoles. The general consensus is that NGB is the graphically superior game due to better textures/shaders and the ability to run at 720p.