By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - One of the things that I believed collapsed the Final Fantasy franchise - Music

I really love this boss fight song from FFXIV: 

Looking forward to see what all happens with the new 2.0 release. =)

Around the Network

Even at it's worst Final Fantasy music is usually better than 90% of the shit out there.

happydolphin said:

@Topic. FFX has some of the best FF game music of all time. Sudeki da ne, to Zanarkand, lots of nice stuff.

Nononono, SMG has some of the best VGM of all time. All orchestrated and very grandiose. Skyward sword also went for that level of awesomeness, but I didn't like much other than the romance tune and the trailer tune.

Here are some incredible galaxy songs

I agree. I said SMG2 was bad.

Strongly disagree on this, the music is one of the few commendable point of FFXIII and some of the better piano piece for FF were from X onward (at least for my taste).

I was one of those extremely disappointed fan of FFXIII but even I feel that the music (Except for the non-sensical inclusion of a pop-song) were pretty well done.

Soleron said:
happydolphin said:

Nononono, SMG has some of the best VGM of all time. All orchestrated and very grandiose. Skyward sword also went for that level of awesomeness, but I didn't like much other than the romance tune and the trailer tune.

Here are some incredible galaxy songs

I agree. I said SMG2 was bad.

I see what you mean. I haven't gotten too far in SMG2 yet to judge. I kind of get from this that you listen to a game's OST before playing? :3 Even I'm not that much of a VG music freak. :B

Around the Network

The Final Fantasy Franchise collapsed?...I must have missed that somehow.

Soriku, its pretty much as i said on my second post.

If i think of FF7/9/tactics and even 8 and 10, i can think of some songs that seem to play on my head. With FF XII onwards, they might have full orchestras or whatnot, and the music might sound good when playing, but when i think back to the titles nothing pops up in my head.

Its a recurrent issue since the 32/64 bit era with the PSX and those systems. After those, in general music in games became un-memorable. I cant think of one memorable soundtrack from past that era. FFX was ok-ish but thats about it. In this current gen i cant think of a single game that has a memorable soundtrack. Even tales of vesperia wich is a game i loved this gen, nothing pops up. The way it interacts with the human brain is just not good enough anymore and the songs get identified as noise, more than music leading to no recollection.

Actually what im saying is perfectly clear on your post. The FFIX songs listed fill up your ear perfectly so you can focus on all the sounds (it feels like 2 layers of sounds). The FF:CC songs have too many sounds and some of it gets filtered as noise (fills like 3 or more layers of sound). If you think about those songs in a few minutes, you will see you will be able to remember the FFIX songs but not the FF:CC ones. Its got everything to do with the human brain and the capacity to memorise a set number of sounds. At one point its just overflow and your brain dismisses it.

The way i see it, that is a huge waste. Why bother making such complex songs when they arent going to be more pleasurable to listen to than the songs with less complexity.

happydolphin said:

I see what you mean. I haven't gotten too far in SMG2 yet to judge. I kind of get from this that you listen to a game's OST before playing? :3 Even I'm not that much of a VG music freak. :B

Before deciding to buy. Yes.

Since I don't like record company music at all, that's what I wait for.

Gilgamesh said:

Go on youtube and look at some old Final Fantasy game soundtracks (I - IX), you can't help but crack a smile when some of those original scores bring back all those fond memories of fighting your way thorugh cave fill monsters, or watching a companion sacrifice themself for you. These were some of the greatest and most intense music being played on a game, even starting from the beginning on Final Fantasy I from the opening sequence to even a random song like Matoya's Cave.

In my opinion music is part of what made Final Fantasy so great, it intensified the gameplay and even helps bring the story together. When FFX hit, they had a couple memorial hit's but nothing to great, then everything just went downhill with X-2, XII, XIII, XIII-2. Maybe it's just me because I really enjoy a good soundtrack in a game and it can sometimes make or break a game if it bores me to much.

If music mattered that much then Lost Odyssey would have sold a lot more at least over a million copies, because it has some of Nobuo Uematsu's best work. 

@Nem really are you sure you cant find at least 1 memorable sound track for the past two gen.

Bet with gooch_destroyer, he wins if FFX and FFX-2 will be at $40 each for the vita. I win if it dont

Sign up if you want to see God Eater 2 get localized!! https://www.change.org/petitions/shift-inc-bring-god-eater-2-to-north-america-2#share