By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - One of the things that I believed collapsed the Final Fantasy franchise - Music

I agree with Gilgamesh (apart for Final Fantasy X which I thought had a very good soundtrack). Nobuo Uematsu's music was a really big part of Final Fantasy. In fact, it's the only video game music I love enough to have on my iPod and listen to everyday.

I've just finished Final Fantasy XIII-2 and there's some pretty horrible tracks on there. Mostly, the ones that I can't stand are the lifeless dull "lounge" tracks that play in many locations and to make matters worse they added sleep-inducing vocals to go over these tracks which really irritates me.

Signature goes here!

Around the Network

I don't know about that, I heard 11s OST for the first time in Theatrhythm and I think some of the songs are brilliant along with 12.

badgenome said:

No.

(Okay, never mind that last one.)

I particularly like Caius' theme.

Chris Hu said:
Gilgamesh said:

Go on youtube and look at some old Final Fantasy game soundtracks (I - IX), you can't help but crack a smile when some of those original scores bring back all those fond memories of fighting your way thorugh cave fill monsters, or watching a companion sacrifice themself for you. These were some of the greatest and most intense music being played on a game, even starting from the beginning on Final Fantasy I from the opening sequence to even a random song like Matoya's Cave.

In my opinion music is part of what made Final Fantasy so great, it intensified the gameplay and even helps bring the story together. When FFX hit, they had a couple memorial hit's but nothing to great, then everything just went downhill with X-2, XII, XIII, XIII-2. Maybe it's just me because I really enjoy a good soundtrack in a game and it can sometimes make or break a game if it bores me to much.

If music mattered that much then Lost Odyssey would have sold a lot more at least over a million copies, because it has some of Nobuo Uematsu's best work. 

I'm pretty sure if LO was on a different platform or even multi-platform it would have done a hell of a lot better. At the time it released on the X360 the console was not really known for being a RPG console. It's a shame though a lot of people claim this is the best JRPG of the gen and it's only on the X360.

Also for some of you users you think I didn't like the FFX soundtrack at all, thats not what I said, I liked the whole soundtrack a lot, but me personally I only find a few are memorable. That's just me. 

To Zanarkand

Someday the dream will end

Otherworld

All great songs.

Around the Network

I think the quality of the music in Final Fantasy games took a hit in FF X and XI. Then XII happened and it was different. Took a bit longer to fully appreciate the change of style, but once I got over the lack of Uematsu's ultra catchy tunes, it grew on me. Special mentions: Seeking Power, Symphonic Poem Hope, Loop Demo, one of the best version of Clash on the Big Bridge, The Phon Coast, The Sohen Cave Palace, to name only the first that come to mind. The game even started with the classic Final Fantasy Theme in full glory.

Then XII came and it was ok to good. Some memorable theme, like the Sunleth Waterscape and Blinded by Light. But overall, I thought the themes didn't stick to my mind. They did a good job at setting the proper moods, but weren't themes I'd whistle like the ones from prior games.

Overall, I wouldn't say the music "collapsed" the Final Fantasy franchise. There are much [MUCH] bigger problems
than this that S-E needs to fix for the next games. Like proper exploration, a come back of the world map and controllable airships/transports, and stories that are actually not for early teen. FF VI, VII and to some extant VIII and XII achieved that pretty well, even if XII lacked emotional impact... IX was also a nice nod to the classic elements of the franchise, but the story wasn't really anything we hadn't seen before...

But I digress. I think the music has remained of pretty high quality across the board, with the exception of X and XIII which I felt weren't completely consistent throughout, but the change of style from Uematsu to his followers certainly needed an adaptation for the listeners. And since most of us were used to his style and enjoyed it ever so greatly (with good reason), the passage from him to the others was greatly felt.

Of course, you must then add the power of nostalgia to the mix...

So what's next in line to bitch about ?

Final Fantasy cover art ?

TruckOSaurus said:

the ones that I can't stand are the lifeless dull "lounge" tracks that play in many locations and to make matters worse they added sleep-inducing vocals to go over these tracks which really irritates me.

This has already been covered, it's not the OST that's bad it's jus that they play to death the same hypotonic tracks, over and over and over... The english theme song was pretty bad though, but that is just horrid localizing.

agreed gil

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

DigitalDevilSummoner said:

TruckOSaurus said:

the ones that I can't stand are the lifeless dull "lounge" tracks that play in many locations and to make matters worse they added sleep-inducing vocals to go over these tracks which really irritates me.

This has already been covered, it's not the OST that's bad it's jus that they play to death the same hypotonic tracks, over and over and over... The english theme song was pretty bad though, but that is just horrid localizing.

I didn't like those tunes from the first listen so to me they are bad.

I could easily complain about FFXIII-2's boxart which features Lightning who is barely present throughout the game but I won't.

Signature goes here!

TruckOSaurus said:
DigitalDevilSummoner said:

TruckOSaurus said:

I didn't like those tunes from the first listen so to me they are bad.

I could easily complain about FFXIII-2's boxart which features Lightning who is barely present throughout the game but I won't.