By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - One of the things that I believed collapsed the Final Fantasy franchise - Music

DigitalDevilSummoner said:

Come on now, is this a troll thread ? Some of you in your attempt to appear proper old school or whatever, just keep on looking for excuses to bitch about stuff. STOP BEING SO CHILDISH ! The music went dowhill with XII ?!

best FF battle theme: FF XII
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-AwbsQi-nk

second best FF battle theme: FF XIII Defiers Of Fate
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xYeOY_6b3M

So you were trolled because the game was neither Skyrim nor a book ?!

I swear a developer would go mental reading all this.

I find these thread titles hillarious for a different reason than the content. Simply the title itself can be considered 'trolling':

"One of the things that I believed collapsed the Final Fantasy franchise"

Its no longer debabtable whether games like FF13, FF14 et al, are good games or not. Fans have already acknoweleged a 'collapse' of the Final Fantasy name, lol.

When FF13 came out, there were so many people defending that title to the death, now it seems its an accepted fact that the Final Fantasy name has been greatly damaged.

Around the Network
Gilgamesh said:

Also for some of you users you think I didn't like the FFX soundtrack at all, thats not what I said, I liked the whole soundtrack a lot, but me personally I only find a few are memorable. That's just me. 

To Zanarkand

Someday the dream will end

Otherworld

All great songs.

Wandering Flame

People of the North Pole

The Sending

There were soo many good pieces of music in this game.

A203D said:

Its no longer debabtable whether games like FF13, FF14 et al, are good games or not. Fans have already acknoweleged a 'collapse' of the Final Fantasy name, lol.

When FF13 came out, there were so many people defending that title to the death, now it seems its an accepted fact that the Final Fantasy name has been greatly damaged.

13 and 14 are nothing like each other. the online games did damage the franchise. and who are these fans, cause XIII and XIII-2 topped 9 mil amidst a dead japanese market. Im not one of these fans. Did we have a freakin meeting that i missed ?! the fact that some people still talk loud doesn't mean anything or makes them more. yes we have accepted that some people are really butthurt that the 90s are gone.

tell me again how the music has gotten worse

Well that is nobuo for you..

Listen to two of his songs for other games and you get that FF vibe you (and I) missed in FFXIII

Blue dragon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9Ex-5FMpZ4

LO:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgxFLMM9TLw

Chris Hu said:
Gilgamesh said:

If music mattered that much then Lost Odyssey would have sold a lot more at least over a million copies, because it has some of Nobuo Uematsu's best work. 

The music supports the game. Appropriate music makes a game more engaging, and memorable games make music meaningful.

Few buy a game on soundtrack alone, but it will make the overall impression of the game better. In LO's case it couldn't save it being niche.

Around the Network

I can actually see where you're coming from, but I disagree.

I really love the soundtracks to all the series, pretty much. I think X had a great soundtrack, but it's my least favourite Final Fantasy game by far just due to the direction of the game itself more than anything else.

I also love a number of tracks in XIII-2 (especially invisible depths, possibly my favourite final boss theme ever) but didn't think too much of the game itself.

Me and my brother were just talking about this last weekend as he watched me force myself to play FF XIII (I'll beat that shitty game someday). It started going downhill when they added rock music to FFX to appeal to who knows who.

I am the Playstation Avenger.

DigitalDevilSummoner said:
A203D said:

13 and 14 are nothing like each other. the online games did damage the franchise. and who are these fans, cause XIII and XIII-2 topped 9 mil amidst a dead japanese market. Im not one of these fans. Did we have a freakin meeting that i missed ?! the fact that some people still talk loud doesn't mean anything or makes them more. yes we have accepted that some people are really butthurt that the 90s are gone.

tell me again how the music has gotten worse

I dont think the music has been getting worst, but I do think the games have been getting worst; thats why some people are now attacking the music to attempt to discredit even the soundtrack of the FF games. There simply so upset with the series, even the music is not good enough.

The fans who make this thread and all the other FF threads demonstrate that some fans think the FF name has been degraded.

About the online games. While I never played it, FF11 was well recieved and was the most financially successful game of Sqaure Enix's history, so I dont think FF11 damaged the franchise. FF14 on the other hand, yes Yochi Wada has said that FF14 did damage the FF name. I also think FF13 and FF13-2 have damaged the FF series.

I think thats why Yochi Wada keeps comissioning FF13 sequels. He simply dosent want Kitase or Toriyama to make another mainline FF installment until they clean up their mess, which is why I think FF13-3 is now in development and will be announced this September.

Yeah, I know they are just trying to pointlessly discredit anything past IX.

By your logic FF XI was good only because it brought in money but FF XIII was not good even though it brought in money ? What kinda logic is that ? FF XI and XIV shouldn't have been numbered FF games. Period.

And, no I don't think trying something new is damaging the FF brand. I don't even consider XIII to be such a great game, I just respect the developers trying to keep the franchise alive and relevant, instead of being a remnant.

So, let me irk these fans even more, these fans who by talking louder think they matter more:

Final Fantasy XIII enjoys stellar reviews. It ended up getting a direct sequel and probably, for the first time in FF history, even a second one. Between Final Fantasy XIII and XIII-2, the project has sold 9.6 million units worldwide, in these market conditions:

Final Fantasy XIII is a success, it won.

Gilgamesh said:
Chris Hu said:
Gilgamesh said:

Go on youtube and look at some old Final Fantasy game soundtracks (I - IX), you can't help but crack a smile when some of those original scores bring back all those fond memories of fighting your way thorugh cave fill monsters, or watching a companion sacrifice themself for you. These were some of the greatest and most intense music being played on a game, even starting from the beginning on Final Fantasy I from the opening sequence to even a random song like Matoya's Cave.

In my opinion music is part of what made Final Fantasy so great, it intensified the gameplay and even helps bring the story together. When FFX hit, they had a couple memorial hit's but nothing to great, then everything just went downhill with X-2, XII, XIII, XIII-2. Maybe it's just me because I really enjoy a good soundtrack in a game and it can sometimes make or break a game if it bores me to much.

If music mattered that much then Lost Odyssey would have sold a lot more at least over a million copies, because it has some of Nobuo Uematsu's best work. 

I'm pretty sure if LO was on a different platform or even multi-platform it would have done a hell of a lot better. At the time it released on the X360 the console was not really known for being a RPG console. It's a shame though a lot of people claim this is the best JRPG of the gen and it's only on the X360.

I don't thing if it would have been a multi-platform game would have helped out sales much either.  All console JRPG's had poor sales this generation.  At least it sold better then Mistwalker's follow up game The Last Story which numbers are a lot worse and I don't think its upcoming US release will help its total numbers much.