By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii FPS controls: near perfection, not there yet

kitler53 said:
Godsmurf said:
For example, try to instantly turn 180 degrees while running, take a shot at an opponent who's chasing you (while continuing to run backwards), and then immediately turn 180 degrees again. Pretty ordinary with mouse/keys, impossible with wiimote/nunchuk.

For the moment, only a mouse can offer accurate reflex moves across 720 degrees.

Resident Evil 4: Wii edition. Press Z and Down = 180 degree turn.

not only does this show it can be done, it has been done. By saying something is impossible all you're saying is you lack the creativity to think of the possibilities. I agree that no wii fps has reached the pc level yet, but to say it is impossible is a bit of a bold statement considering the infancy of the wii fps genre.

Ok, how about quickly turning 160 degrees and aiming 30 degrees upwards. Is there a key for that too? And for the thousands of other possible moves?

My point is that a mouse allows you to aim anywhere almost instantly, provided you have the skill and the reflexes. That level of control is not possible with any existing wiimote control scheme.

You're right it might still be imagined, but that's highly unlikely because 1) you can't let a wiimote control exactly where the player is looking because then the view would be shaky and 2) a wiimote can only register aim when it's pointing towards the IR bar. Still, I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

Around the Network

The biggest argument I've seen against a keyboard and mouse is its learning curve...but obviously, that doesn't matter to me...and I'd argue the learning curve is worth it.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Nunchuk + mouse would garner some interest from me. Regardless of which is "better" I've definitely enjoyed the setup in MP3 more than any other setup.

omgwtfbbq2 said:
the main problem with using the wiimote to look around is the integration that's done for turning. With the mouse, the movement you make with your hand is directly correlated with the movement your character makes. With the wiimote, the movement is integrated in order to control the movement. This adds a level of abstraction which makes the movement not as precise. It's much harder to aim at a specific point in MP3, and turning is too slow, while increasing the speed would make it much more difficult to control.

The only reason MP3 is as playable as it is, it because of the lock on option.

I didn't experience this problem when playing through MP3. Your aiming of the Wii Remote is directly translated into the reticle's position on the screen. I found it very easy to aim at a specific point, even with Expert controls turned on, which makes your view turn if you aim even slightly off center. It just takes a bit of practice, but you quickly become comfortable with it.

Played_Out said:

I'm with BenKenobi88 & omgwtfbbq2.

The wiimote is not as accurate as a mouse (or a lightgun). That is not a coding issue, it is a hardware issue. The infrared camera in the wiimote simply doesn't have the same degree of precision.

And a keyboard is better because more keys = more options. It's that simple.

The IR camera in the Wii Remote has a resolution of 1024x768. This is greater than the maximum display resolution supported by the Wii (480p). So the Wii Remote, when used as a pointer, has better-than-pixel-perfect precision. I don't know why you would think the opposite.

Right now (and for the forseeable future), the biggest advantage of mouse aiming is turning speed. With a Wii Remote, you can aim anywhere on the screen instantly, but you can't whip around instantly with the same precision that you can with a mouse.

NJ5 said:

However, ever for a long time PC gamer like me, Wii's FPS controls beat (by far) the keyboard+mouse combo in terms of fun and immersion. As soon as I played Metroid Prime 3, I had a smile painted on my face, and my enjoyment of the game and its controls didn't wear off so far. :)

Agreed. The speed with which you find yourself immersed in MP3 is scary. I started up a session one evening, and the very moment the view switched to behind the visor, I was INSTANTLY immersed. I played for about 10 seconds before realizing what had happened, and I had to pause the game to take a breath and remind myself that this was a video game, and I was looking at a TV screen.

Lol, i love how people argue about there being a learning curve for a mouse, as if there is none at all for a nunchuck and a wiimote. On top of that, i see a lot of these comments about Mouse+keyboard being better form people who've played mouse + keyboard for YEARS. Have you played FPS games on the Wii for years? MP3, and RE: UC only came out a few months ago, there still hasn't been any game that puts a FPS out online that would get people to play continuously enough to start getting REALLY advanced with the controls

I realize that the keyboard + mouse offers more options, but 90% of that is just the GAME having customized input. A game could come out for the Wii and have the same amount of customizing options, it's just that designers DON'T. That's only for NOW though.

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

Around the Network

yes i also think that moving the character with the nunchunk is much better then WASD.
i like wii-mote+nunchuck more then keyboard+mouse,after playing MP3 and MOH:H2 i think it will stay that way

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

jheco05 said:
Do you guys think (sales wise) that MP3 is should be still be considered as Nintendo's big three (smash and smg) like what we are all saying back then...

sales wise i would say know,though i think people were mostly talking about quality wise and for that i say yes

DKII said:
Nunchuk + mouse would garner some interest from me. Regardless of which is "better" I've definitely enjoyed the setup in MP3 more than any other setup.

you should try out MOH:H2 it has better controls then MP3(atleast i think so)

wii is still not the perfect FPS, due to lack of other button choices.

Example. I really like Battlefield 1942 and 2. Both controlled very well and just overall really good games. I recently have been playing MoH:Heroes 2 and have perfected my control settings in that game. While it is leagues above dual analog stick it still in inferior to similar games, i.e. BF2, on the PC. Why? There are so many options that are left out of the game that make a good FPS game really good.

I can't jump, dive, and the time it takes to perfect the controls is really annoying. I didn't have to adjust any PC FPS ever. It just worked. However, on the Wii you are forced to adjust the controls from the default if you want a near PC style environment.

Even with the controls finely tuned, it still is a little slower and overall less responsive than a pc setup. However, these issues may be mute in future Wii games. So I guess only time will tell.

Plus, since there is no keyboard, Wii really needs a voip option.

For anyone that doesn't already know. You can instantly 180 in MOH:H2 and turn rather quickly also. I just keep seeing people saying that you can't do that on Wii FPS's and that's a pretty large generalization based off of a single game (MP3). Really, give it some time.

Also WASD is just a directional pad on a 3-d game, which always has, and always will feel clunky to me. That's the only thing I don't care for when playing Mouse/Keyboard.

Smash Bros: 2363-5325-6342