By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii FPS controls: near perfection, not there yet

good read I agree wii remote type interface will become the future but keyboard and mouse will sitll exist as it is still a great way to play a game.

Around the Network

Something else, I agree with whoever said that you don't use the entire keyboard for games (or at least FPS games).

If you want to try playing it rough, try playing an RTS with it's hotkeys or even a simulation game. On my family's first computer around 1998, the first game we owned was Flight Simulator 98 and we also had a demo of Descent: Freespace. If you think FPS controls are difficult to get a hole of, try taking some time to learn Freespace.

The buttons I use are from like 5, t, g, b and everything on the left of those buttons (mainly controls, not exactly things like typing messages). Even then, I don't think I even use all those buttons in games with game's voice commands (like TF2's taunts and z, x, and c ect) take up a bunch of those buttons. Your basis is your w, s, a, d for movement, a jump, and a duck key with the number keys for/mouse scroll wheel for switching weapons. 

Godsmurf said:
Something like Wiimote is definitely the future, but right now there's no way any player with Wiimote/nunchuk controllers could beat a good mouse/keyboard player. A mouse player would be dancing circles around an equally good wiimote player. For me (as a former competitive FPS player) that's the criterion that counts.

For example, try to instantly turn 180 degrees while running, take a shot at an opponent who's chasing you (while continuing to run backwards), and then immediately turn 180 degrees again. Pretty ordinary with mouse/keys, impossible with wiimote/nunchuk.

For the moment, only a mouse can offer accurate reflex moves across 720 degrees.

Resident Evil 4: Wii edition.  Press Z and Down = 180 degree turn.

not only does this show it can be done, it has been done.  By saying something is impossible all you're saying is you lack the creativity to think of the possibilities.  I agree that no wii fps has reached the pc level yet, but to say it is impossible is a bit of a bold statement considering the infancy of the wii fps genre.

From the people i have talked to the wii-mote offers no benefits over the dual analog set-up, the same can be said for the Keyboard and mouse combo. Its all how good you are at mastering each set of controls, you maybe better at one but each one is great in its own ways. On CoD4 i would bet i can out shoot any mouse and keyboard combo on CQC maps.

Griffin said:
From the people i have talked to the wii-mote offers no benefits over the dual analog set-up, the same can be said for the Keyboard and mouse combo. Its all how good you are at mastering each set of controls, you maybe better at one but each one is great in its own ways. On CoD4 i would bet i can out shoot any mouse and keyboard combo on CQC maps.

Many before you said the same thing, and they all got fragged by PC players.

On topic: I have been playing PC FPSs for years, and I believe that keyboard+mouse is indeed superior to MP3's implementation of motion, but mostly due to speed considerations.

Since there is no turning speed setting in MP3, that alone will limit your motion (which is not a big deal in this game except in some specific parts, but would be a big deal if you put a keyboard+mouse player against a Wiimote+nunchuk one). This can however be improved as several posters here have said, we haven't yet seen the full potential of Wii's controls for FPS games.

However, ever for a long time PC gamer like me, Wii's FPS controls beat (by far) the keyboard+mouse combo in terms of fun and immersion. As soon as I played Metroid Prime 3, I had a smile painted on my face, and my enjoyment of the game and its controls didn't wear off so far. :)

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

A little off tangent but I've thought that it has been a mistake this generation for console gaming to move toward PC gaming. Developers might like it but the hard push to appeal to core gamers could backfire in the long run. The Wii defies these expectations to some extent and I think light gun games are a huge plus for the platform. Shooting games are easier to play with the Wiimote compared to dual analog.

Great post Grey Acumen. Number 1 is a big problem for me and number 2 is smaller issue. No one can deny that Keyboard + mouse is the best deal for multiplayer matches, but I would argue otherwise in single player mode. The keyboard learning curve is awful. It takes a lot of time to customize the keyboard and learn to use it effectively. In games with too many commands it is impossible (and I really mean it) to keep index, middle and ring fingers on the WSAD position and press the other keys with your thumb and little finger. I think that half of these commands are of limited use to justify a button on a controller or the Wiimote. It is not the number of keys that make keyboard+mouse superior, it is a mix of mouse precision and keyboard customization.
IMHO a nunchuck like acessory (not the thing itself), made with PC FPSs in mind would make a better combination.

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."

kitler53 said:
Godsmurf said:
Something like Wiimote is definitely the future, but right now there's no way any player with Wiimote/nunchuk controllers could beat a good mouse/keyboard player. A mouse player would be dancing circles around an equally good wiimote player. For me (as a former competitive FPS player) that's the criterion that counts.

For example, try to instantly turn 180 degrees while running, take a shot at an opponent who's chasing you (while continuing to run backwards), and then immediately turn 180 degrees again. Pretty ordinary with mouse/keys, impossible with wiimote/nunchuk.

For the moment, only a mouse can offer accurate reflex moves across 720 degrees.

Resident Evil 4: Wii edition. Press Z and Down = 180 degree turn.

not only does this show it can be done, it has been done. By saying something is impossible all you're saying is you lack the creativity to think of the possibilities. I agree that no wii fps has reached the pc level yet, but to say it is impossible is a bit of a bold statement considering the infancy of the wii fps genre.

Resident Evil 4: PS2 (gamecube as well) Square and down = 180 degree turn, but a bad example in my opinion because I think you missed the point of what Godsmurf was saying. However I think he kind of worded it wrong because I know where you're coming from.

I believe he was talking about a first person shooter where with the mouse and a sensitivity that feels like an extension of your own arm, you can whip the mouse around in the general direction of the sound or damage indicators to quickly squeeze off a round or twenty at an attacker. 

ItsaMii said:
Great post Grey Acumen. Number 1 is a big problem for me and number 2 is smaller issue. No one can deny that Keyboard + mouse is the best deal for multiplayer matches, but I would argue otherwise in single player mode. The keyboard learning curve is awful. It takes a lot of time to customize the keyboard and learn to use it effectively. In games with too many commands it is impossible (and I really mean it) to keep index, middle and ring fingers on the WSAD position and press the other keys with your thumb and little finger. I think that half of these commands are of limited use to justify a button on a controller or the Wiimote. It is not the number of keys that make keyboard+mouse superior, it is a mix of mouse precision and keyboard customization.
IMHO a nunchuck like acessory (not the thing itself), made with PC FPSs in mind would make a better combination.

I wouldn't agree, but I can see where the argument from somebody who isn't used to a keyboard. It also depends on the game for keyboard cutomization. Battlefield 2 will take forever (but it is also a poor customizable system which is the main problem of it), but Half-Life 2 is a breeze. Still, I feel that customizing controls on a controller and keyboard are very similar and I'll have to keep tweaking until I feel that it is correct.  I also disagree in another aspect, I think it makes a controller clunky when you have to take your thumbs off the analog sticks to press a button which is one thing where I feel the Wii-mote stands out a bit from a regular controller. I also argue about singleplayer, a game like Gears of War felt just fine with a keyboard.

Perhaps you should play the piano or Guitar Hero to condition your fingers, lol. Also, I don't keep my middle finger on w and s at all times. In fact, I'll move my fingers around if I need to stretch to press buttons, my fingers aren't set to stay on their respective w, s, a, and d keys 100% of the time.

Do you guys think (sales wise) that MP3 is should be still be considered as Nintendo's big three (smash and smg) like what we are all saying back then...

Wii Code: 4819-7684-2396-4558