By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii FPS controls: near perfection, not there yet

IllegalPaladin said:
ItsaMii said:
Great post Grey Acumen. Number 1 is a big problem for me and number 2 is smaller issue. No one can deny that Keyboard + mouse is the best deal for multiplayer matches, but I would argue otherwise in single player mode. The keyboard learning curve is awful. It takes a lot of time to customize the keyboard and learn to use it effectively. In games with too many commands it is impossible (and I really mean it) to keep index, middle and ring fingers on the WSAD position and press the other keys with your thumb and little finger. I think that half of these commands are of limited use to justify a button on a controller or the Wiimote. It is not the number of keys that make keyboard+mouse superior, it is a mix of mouse precision and keyboard customization.
IMHO a nunchuck like acessory (not the thing itself), made with PC FPSs in mind would make a better combination.

I wouldn't agree, but I can see where the argument from somebody who isn't used to a keyboard. It also depends on the game for keyboard cutomization. Battlefield 2 will take forever (but it is also a poor customizable system which is the main problem of it), but Half-Life 2 is a breeze. Still, I feel that customizing controls on a controller and keyboard are very similar and I'll have to keep tweaking until I feel that it is correct. I also disagree in another aspect, I think it makes a controller clunky when you have to take your thumbs off the analog sticks to press a button which is one thing where I feel the Wii-mote stands out a bit from a regular controller. I also argue about singleplayer, a game like Gears of War felt just fine with a keyboard.

Perhaps you should play the piano or Guitar Hero to condition your fingers, lol. Also, I don't keep my middle finger on w and s at all times. In fact, I'll move my fingers around if I need to stretch to press buttons, my fingers aren't set to stay on their respective w, s, a, and d keys 100% of the time.

You may disagree, as long as you understand that:
1) FPSs are always better on the PC (in almost every aspect, looks, controls, gameplay)
2) It is not the amount of keys in the keyboard that make it great, if that was true, cell phone games would be better than any portable game.

If this is about making assumptions, I`d say this is coming from someone that does not play a lot of games. Half Life 2 may be easier than a lot of games to customize, but it is not a breeze. There are commands for jump, duck, run, walk, crawl, reload, use, flashlight, secondary fire, switch weapon and a button for each weapon. Jump, run and reload are in a comforable position (my settings) - shift, control, space. The others need my pointer or middle finger. And let`s not even talk about games like Farcry. In addition to HL commands, you have binoculars, cry vision, hold breath, grenade, cycle grenades, drop weapon, zoom and some that I forgot. That is without taking into consideration multiplayer only features. If you know a setting that could make pressing all these buttons fast and intuitive, please tell me. My point is that I think that most of these commands are not used enough to demand individual buttons.

Customizing on controllers are very different from keyboards and that is not a matter of which one is better. Keyboard is almost 100% customizable, controllers config, in most cases, make you chose between predetermined settings (like type A, B, C). Even in games that allow customization, you can not set the fire or jump command to buttons like select or start (not that anyone sane would do it). Keyboards on the other hand allow for some bizarre combos (that does not mean it is bad). For example, I use the right mouse button to walk forward, ASD for strafing, QE to lean, click wheel for zoom and W for secondary fire.

How can you walk in a FPS without your fingers on the WASD keys? Psychic powers? 100% of the time is impossible (that is a semantic trick), but I keep them on these keys 90% of the time. Unless you play strategy based FPS, which keep you behind walls and crates all the time, you must use the said keys.

As for the jab on the last paragraph ... Maybe you should play more than 3 genres of games, that way you`d think of ways to improve controls other than more buttons.

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."

Around the Network
brute said:
DKII said:
Nunchuk + mouse would garner some interest from me. Regardless of which is "better" I've definitely enjoyed the setup in MP3 more than any other setup.

you should try out MOH:H2 it has better controls then MP3(atleast i think so)

I have it but haven't gotten around to playing it just yet.

Having played MP3 for an extended period of time, I have to say I wasnt blown away by the controls. Ill stick with a keyboard and mouse.

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned for Sega. - Jason Lee, Mallrats.

http://theaveragejoe.sportsblognet.com/ - Mainly American Football, snippets of Basketball, European Football and Hockey. 

I will have to disagree, i think alot of things can distract your shooting whilst playing the wii, perhaps you feel tired and still want to keep playing?

Or you are shaking or something - i dunno you get my point, i think it K+M will always be more precise and you can customise it so much better + i think it would be a tad hard trying to snipe some dudes head off when you cant keep still or something, you dont really have to worry about that with a keyboard and mouse.

Current Consoles: Xbox 360 Elite, Playstation 2, Gaming Rig, Nintendo Wii, Playstation 3.

Xbox Live: Jessman_Aus - Playing: Ace Combat 6, Fifa 09

Playstation Network: Jessman_Aus - Playing: MGS4, Resistance 2

Wii Freind Code: 3513-9191-8534-3866 - Playing: SSBB

Brawl Code: 1590-6125-1250

Xfire: J3ssman - Playing: Fallout 3, Farcry 2

Jessman: Fears the Mangina

Confused about your point Jessman, if you can't keep still you would shake the mouse as much as a wii mote.

Around the Network

Not entirely, if you have a precision gaming surface and a nice heavy comfy mouse you its excellent, but when your playing the wii your arm is extended so its kinda awkward in some area's

Current Consoles: Xbox 360 Elite, Playstation 2, Gaming Rig, Nintendo Wii, Playstation 3.

Xbox Live: Jessman_Aus - Playing: Ace Combat 6, Fifa 09

Playstation Network: Jessman_Aus - Playing: MGS4, Resistance 2

Wii Freind Code: 3513-9191-8534-3866 - Playing: SSBB

Brawl Code: 1590-6125-1250

Xfire: J3ssman - Playing: Fallout 3, Farcry 2

Jessman: Fears the Mangina

I play FPS's on the Wii with the wiimote on my lap, not extended :P But I can see where you are coming from, I just never found a point in extending my arm.

I can't seem to remember an FPS on a console that utilized the left analog stick to a degree that a PC user could not do. Most FPSs simply have you walk forward, backward, strafe left or right, or a combination of those when pushing the stick diagonally. There's really no point to tip-toeing or walking slowly in most FPSs.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

ItsaMii said:
IllegalPaladin said:
ItsaMii said:

You may disagree, as long as you understand that:
1) FPSs are always better on the PC (in almost every aspect, looks, controls, gameplay)
2) It is not the amount of keys in the keyboard that make it great, if that was true, cell phone games would be better than any portable game.

If this is about making assumptions, I`d say this is coming from someone that does not play a lot of games. Half Life 2 may be easier than a lot of games to customize, but it is not a breeze. There are commands for jump, duck, run, walk, crawl, reload, use, flashlight, secondary fire, switch weapon and a button for each weapon. Jump, run and reload are in a comforable position (my settings) - shift, control, space. The others need my pointer or middle finger. And let`s not even talk about games like Farcry. In addition to HL commands, you have binoculars, cry vision, hold breath, grenade, cycle grenades, drop weapon, zoom and some that I forgot. That is without taking into consideration multiplayer only features. If you know a setting that could make pressing all these buttons fast and intuitive, please tell me. My point is that I think that most of these commands are not used enough to demand individual buttons.

Customizing on controllers are very different from keyboards and that is not a matter of which one is better. Keyboard is almost 100% customizable, controllers config, in most cases, make you chose between predetermined settings (like type A, B, C). Even in games that allow customization, you can not set the fire or jump command to buttons like select or start (not that anyone sane would do it). Keyboards on the other hand allow for some bizarre combos (that does not mean it is bad). For example, I use the right mouse button to walk forward, ASD for strafing, QE to lean, click wheel for zoom and W for secondary fire.

How can you walk in a FPS without your fingers on the WASD keys? Psychic powers? 100% of the time is impossible (that is a semantic trick), but I keep them on these keys 90% of the time. Unless you play strategy based FPS, which keep you behind walls and crates all the time, you must use the said keys.

As for the jab on the last paragraph ... Maybe you should play more than 3 genres of games, that way you`d think of ways to improve controls other than more buttons.

How do many of these commands differ from console games? I usually customize my controls if the game allows me to. In fact, I changed up most of the commands on The Orange Box on the PS3.

Why does it matter if the keyboard can be customized? Do it to your liking rather than complain about the weird como's you can make out of it. Hell, multi-player commands don't really add a whole lot other than a chat, team chat, and scoreboard (unless it's main feature is online like BF2, CS, or TF2).

Walking depends on the game. You almost don't need it in Half-Life 2 except to be careful from falling. Usually walk can be shift which means the pinky can have you walk while you can still jump, duck, move around, and use other keys. Again, customize it to your liking and it's not like you have to have three fingers glued to w, s, a, and d. 

Grey Acumen said:
Lol, i love how people argue about there being a learning curve for a mouse, as if there is none at all for a nunchuck and a wiimote. On top of that, i see a lot of these comments about Mouse+keyboard being better form people who've played mouse + keyboard for YEARS. Have you played FPS games on the Wii for years? MP3, and RE: UC only came out a few months ago, there still hasn't been any game that puts a FPS out online that would get people to play continuously enough to start getting REALLY advanced with the controls

I realize that the keyboard + mouse offers more options, but 90% of that is just the GAME having customized input. A game could come out for the Wii and have the same amount of customizing options, it's just that designers DON'T. That's only for NOW though.

Whats funny then is how you made this thread NOW instead of waiting till LATER when more games would support your thoughts. I don't know about others, but I've also been playing on controllers for years as well and I still feel the way I do.