By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Sony fanboyism among moderators is getting out of hand

trasharmdsister12 said:
Ghutto said:
In my country, topics like this we call "barraco".

I love a "barraco". XD

How strange. In my country we call it "bama"

KKKKKKKKK LOL No ideia of what "bama" is. But, let's watch the "barraco" with popcorn and a 3D glasses. XD

Around the Network

I have been banned on numerous occasions and plainly stated there are no unbiased vg forum boards.

In the case of VGChartz it is obvious the site is not only increasingly suffering from the worst sony fanboyism but has above all lost its purpose (charts lol).

Do what ioi and many others have done, let it die slowly and move along.

PS- The sony community is as doomed as their latest consoles and will become the itinerant plague of the web. Sega fans have so much decency in comparison,

Kantor said:
Chandler said:
Kantor said:
If you had said "the vita has a disappointing lineup for this year" that would have been fine. It's about how you said it. You said that Sony was "king of jack and shit" which is definitely trolling.,

What???? I read his comment a dozen times and he didn't say any of that. This is putting words into someones mouth or very, very, very liberal interpretation.

It's practically a direct quote.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4672073

He was banned for that post.

Well this is an entirely different beast. So the question remains if it was only poor communication between the mod and the OP and the wrong thread got quoted as ban reason or the OP wasn't entirely true.

Ongoing bet with think-man: He wins if MH4 releases in any shape or form on PSV in 2013, I win if it doesn't.

I remember when VGChartz used to be called a bunch of Nintendo fanboys.

What happened? Maybe the site really has lost it's way.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

fighter said:
I have been banned on numerous occasions and plainly stated there are no unbiased vg forum boards.

In the case of VGChartz it is obvious the site is not only increasingly suffering from the worst sony fanboyism but has above all lost its purpose (charts lol).

Do what ioi and many others have done, let it die slowly and move along.

PS- The sony community is as doomed as their latest consoles and will become the itinerant plague of the web. Sega fans have so much decency in comparison,

Rather there are no boards without overly sensitive gamers.

Also, you were banned due to what you are doing now, which is once again acting like this is all a one way street and only SONY fans are these horrible, ferocious man beasts who speak ill of all others and have this cult like status across the web.

You also must have missed the memo around here because the "3DS is doomed" thread was made by a Nintendo fan and the SONY fans mainly seclude themselves within the Vita Official Thread.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network

As someone who spent a reasonably long stint as a moderator on The Wiire Boards, back before The Wiire died, I have to say that, in my opinion, the real issue is the lack of warning. On the Wiire boards, there was one particular event that caused a major shitstorm, if you'll excuse the term. The event? A staff member (staff had moderation privileges) deciding to ban a person for what was a relatively minor infraction, which resulted in a big back-and-forward between that staff member and the bulk of the community, with quite a few members receiving a ban as a result.

I was working on PhD at that point in time, and I hopped online only to find this massive mess having been created - I ended up spending most of the day cleaning it up. And as I said, it was all because of an overuse of the "banhammer".

If moderators are just stepping in and banning members for comments, then they're not doing their jobs. The moderator's primary job is to actually develop a connection with the community and an understanding of the community, so that they can deftly guide the community. The banhammer should be the last tool in the set, and only used when all other options have been tried. It shouldn't be the primary form of moderation.

If someone tries to troll, the first step should be to defuse the troll's post - either remove the offending comment (if it is appropriate to do so) or find a clever way to dismiss their post as simultaneously inaccurate and poorly constructed. If they try to troll repeatedly, then it's time to give direct warnings. If it continues, use the higher non-ban options (you should be able to set them to "moderated", so that a moderator has to give their posts the OK) for a little while. The banhammer only comes out if they continue. Obviously, if it's a spambot or similar, the banhammer is quite fine in such a situation.

Any other approach will inevitably cause problems. This thread is an example of this. What ends up happening is that people start posting similar trollish comments (the first two replies in the thread are good examples) in solidarity, and start attacking the moderators rather broadly. Others will inevitably come to the defence of the moderator that did it, but that will only make a bigger rift within the community.

I don't think that the moderators are fanboys of any system. I honestly think that they try to remain as neutral as they can. I also think that they're too willing to use the banhammer, and that this results in various members seeing them as anti- or pro-, typically based on where those members tend to spend most of their time. When a member sees a lot of bannings of people who criticise Sony, they quickly come to the conclusion that moderators are Sony fanboys. And I think that this is what has happened in this case.

Any way, that's my two cents... OK, more like 37 dollars, but still.

amp316 said:
I remember when this site used to be called a bunch of Nintendo fanboys.

The difference is that back then, the mods actually WERE massive Nintendo fanboys. Nowadays, we are just fanboys of whichever system is being bashed the most.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Kantor said:
amp316 said:

The difference is that back then, the mods actually WERE massive Nintendo fanboys. Nowadays, we are just fanboys of whichever system is being bashed the most.

I miss FishyJoe.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Chandler said:
Kantor said:
Chandler said:
Kantor said:
If you had said "the vita has a disappointing lineup for this year" that would have been fine. It's about how you said it. You said that Sony was "king of jack and shit" which is definitely trolling.,

What???? I read his comment a dozen times and he didn't say any of that. This is putting words into someones mouth or very, very, very liberal interpretation.

It's practically a direct quote.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4672073

He was banned for that post.

Well this is an entirely different beast. So the question remains if it was only poor communication between the mod and the OP and the wrong thread got quoted as ban reason or the OP wasn't entirely true.

Unlikely, the banning PM gives you a link to the post that you were banned for.  

Kantor said:
amp316 said:

Yes, some of them were and those guys are no longer around, but that's a different story altogether.

I pretty much was agreeing with your final sentence in my sarcastic way.  My point was exactly that.  If the PS3 is bashed, then you guys are fans of Sony.  If the Wii was bashed, then you were fans of Nintendo.   

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger