By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Sony fanboyism among moderators is getting out of hand

Mummelmann said:
I strongly disagree that the mods are Sony biased. Nintendo has always been the favourite of the average Vgchartz moderator, at least that's my observation after damn near five years as an active member.

This is probably also an example of what I spoke of - Nintendo was seen to be the "favourite" of the moderators because they were most often seen banning people for anti-Nintendo comments. It likely wasn't that they were anti-Nintendo comments that got them banned, but the trolling nature in which those comments were made. Even if the moderators, in normal discussion, tended to favour Nintendo, it likely didn't influence their moderating to any significant degree.

Nintendo tended to be the target of a much larger proportion of the trolling efforts, which is why there tended to be more anti-Nintendo comments resulting in bans. If you were to look at gaming sites prior to the Wii, you'd probably have seen a lot more anti-Playstation comments, because the PS2 was the "leader". The Wii being the leader in this generation resulted in being the target more often, and when the Wii's sales faltered, and the 360 and PS3 started selling better than the Wii, they became more of a target. And thus, the appearance of moderators being Sony fanboys, just as they looked like Nintendo fanboys earlier in the generation.

Of course, the appearance is actually created due to overuse of banhammer, as I noted. If the moderation is done well, very few will actually complain about overmoderation, and most of that will be by people who actually continue to break the rules.

Around the Network
Jumpin said:

For example, I responded in a Nintendo thread that Vita didn't have many games scheduled for this year; and I got banned for Sony bashing/trolling; no warning or anything. This post in particular (which was on page ~340 of a thread in the Nintendo forum) :

"Well, considering there's about 6 or 7 retail games scheduled for the rest of 2012 coming out for the Vita, it might be a long wait. Although, there might be officially nothing to wait for after next year."

It's not exactly like I am lying either -  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_Vita_games 

This isn't bashing of Sony, it is a statement about the volume of titles which are being released for the Vita; it is a completely fair post. Somehow it got me banned because I was posting something negative about Sony and a Sony fanboy moderator happened to be skulking in the Nintendo forums where I posted it. 

Now, if this was a very sensitive board, I would understand - but clearly this board is not. Obviously these much more negative TOPICS about Nintendo, being posted right in the Nintendo forum, are not considered Nintendo bashing/trolling:

Nintendo's Screwed http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=145235
Wii U CPU Weaker than Xbox 360 http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=145300
3DS doomed, and here's why http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=145290

In other words: if the above topics are alright, then my post is alright too; and if my post isn't alright, then these above topics are definitely not alright. Pick one, you can't have it both ways, otherwise you're being hypocritical.

I'm far from the only one who has been mindlessly banned for a negative statement against Sony. Moderators need to stop treating Sony platforms as being so much more sacred than others - in this case, Nintendo (I don't really follow Microsoft) - and actually be objective for a change. That is, don't ban users simply because you don't like what information or opinion they post.

In the interest of openness, here is the post for which he was actually banned: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4672073

- kantor

I had this same type of thing happen to me. I made a comment about people comparing Vita to the 3DS success wise because Vita is no where near as sucesful. Its the only citation I've ever received.

This is absolutely pathetic. Get over yourself and your little crusade here. Mods are doing fine, but what is getting out of hand is the amount of entitled whiny brats.

So done with it.

NiKKoM said:
at least you didn't post a animated dick.gif..

It was an accident! LEAVE DICK .GIF GUY ALONE!

Aj_habfan said:
This is absolutely pathetic. Get over yourself and your little crusade here. Mods are doing fine, but what is getting out of hand is the amount of entitled whiny brats.

So done with it.

Ah, the flipside of the coin. I knew you (not you specifically, Aj_habfan, but someone with your argument) would show up. This is all reminding me of the situation I described over on The Wiire Boards. Let's see if the moderators handle it better than the Wiire staff member there did.

Around the Network

It's ok if you troll Nintendo. You'll never be banned.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

lilbroex said:

I had this same type of thing happen to me. I made a comment about people comparing Vita to the 3DS success wise because Vita is no where near as sucesful. Its the only citation I've ever received.

Your post was nothing like you described, I was surprised and a little dissapointed you weren't actually banned.

@ Jumpin

I don't think that post deserves a ban at all, but you were probably banned for older posts that accumulated or your general attitude and contributions to the thread, which I've really started to begin to notice recently, and not in a good way.

Vita trolling has gotten way out of hand recently, I don't know how you and a few other Nintendo fans in this thread can even begin to claim that you are the victims.

There have been back to back stories about how advanced the Wii U is. Never seen one reported on here. You would think a new system that is being talked about everywhere would get more coverage.

There is an undeniable boundary between what they report on here divided by company. Ever back when the PS3 hacking was goig on. You could see that they were heavily in favor of those against the modders and hacking community.

Negative reports made by "anonymous devs" that have nothing backing them other than bitterness get instant coverage while reports made by well known devs with facts to back what they say get completely ignored. Its clear which opinion this sites owners support.

Deserved ban. Ban him for this thread. XD

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

Euphoria14 said:
fighter said:

It is almost a one way street actually

Wheter it be proportion or raw numbers the Sony community has been completely plagued with unbeklievably biased statements. I can recall so many Nintendo and Xbox fans who admit mistakes made under their brand withiout complex. The Sony community took years to realize what was obvious in the first year. Every intervention by an official from Sony was a holy word and repeated in a pavlovian pathetic way. Of course there is the infamous xbox fan we all know about and he was a spinner promoter as can be. How many like him on the sony side ? I see none on the nintendo side though. Not from this site anyway. Not at the level of Leo j - Wagram - etc.

By the way - how many official statements from either MS or Nintendo have had the level of follow up as Sony s ?

Could you imagine a 600 euros Xbox being defended to the teeth the way Sony fans did ? Have you ever seen so many people complaimn about reviews and journalists as Sony fans ? Criticizing developpers for being lazy and threatening websites for nothaving given a high mark to MGS4...

I left 2006-2007 behind years ago and I suggest you do the same.

MGS4 was released in 2008.

There are people who still attempt to blame developers for being lazy when they don't know a damn thing about software development or the level of development required for the Cell processor.

Microsoft has always been held to a much higher standard than any of the other two, and therefore any criticisms of Microsoft often considered fair game.  Most Microsoft fans have dealt with it for so long that they just ignore the criticisms and make their own personal assessments. 

While fans of Nintendo have come to accept criticisms of Nintendo because they either acknowledge, share, or politely disagree with them (ok not always politely).  It is, however, hard not to come to terms with the fact that Nintendo, while successful, has stumbled somewhat as is no longer perfect in execution. 

Meanwhile, there is a contingent of Sony fans that seems hell bent on believing what comes out of Sony's arse is bricks of gold, when the reality is far from the truth.  It is not the vocal minority, it is still a good portion of the fan base.  The realists of the fan base will argue the pluses and minuses of a given situation, taking and giving criticism, but they are the quite minority.  However, the loud majority of the Sony fan base is quick to jump on every negative discussion of every other potential platform where Sony competes.  You don't have to look far and wide for a Sony fan, just find your nearest thread regarding anything about a competitor and you'll find a negative post.  Find a negative thread regarding Sony, and there's a flood of charged comments aimed at the OP.

There was a short time when it seemed like you could have a fair and balanced conversation about all three consoles.  It was like there was some sort of détente somewhere around 2009-2010.  That was until Move and Kinect were released, then it started all over again.

Whether or not you're stuck in pre-2008 doesn't matter.  What you said was just a flippant statement intended to quash the discussion as if the previous commenter had no-basis in argument because it wasn't relevant to the present day.  The situations he/she cites may not be, but the are relevant to the level of discourse still found today in the vocal majority of Sony fans that you find spread across the Internet and even on sites like VGChartz.  They, like you've attempted, don't debate the argument, they dismiss it because they can't debate the fact that such a fan base still exists.  It's disingenuous.