By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo just shot themselves in the foot for next gen, repeat of Wii all over again

TeddostheFireKing said:
Mr Khan said:
ryuzaki57 said:
Snesboy said:
ryuzaki57 said:
milkyjoe said:
Does it need to be pointed out why saying "repeat of the Wii" and "shot themselves in the foot" are contradictory statements?

No. Wii did fail. It can't compete in the long run with PS360, and it's already leagues behind in software sales and quality.

Because Call of Duty is such a quality franchise.

Call of Duty is not a quality franchise, but besides CoD PS360 has countless quality games that Wii doesn't have. So the HD twins win in overall quality. 

Subjective, and therefore unprovable.

According to Metacritic, games which are rated 80+ (I used the hole list here, I was being quick):
PS3 has 280 
360 has 322 
Wii has 103 

I think ryuzaki57 point of PS3 and 360 having countless quality games that the Wii doesn't have has quite a bit of merit (also, review wise, CoD is a very high quality franchise).

According to metacritic, fuck you.

Around the Network
EdHieron said:

They'd better keep the price down to $350 at launch especially with 720 coming out at $400.00 and PS4 coming out at $450.00 in 2013 with both of them having 4 times the processing power of Wii-U.

Since when did they confirm pricing for any of the consoles you mentioned...

Snesboy said:

Actual reaction. Wish I wasn't drinking when I read that. :P

noname2200 said:
Gilgamesh said:

Read my replies, I think this is the third time saying this. The Wii had a great first half of the gen but a horrible second half. In the end people bought X360 and PS3 instead since the Wii had no third party support, the Wii now kind of leaves a bad taste in your mouth because of how it ended, this gen is going to be rememberred as the Wii coming out strong with this new innovative controller, after a couple years...wheres the games? oh they all went to X360/PS3. They should of came up with something completely different and get rid of that "Wii" name which is going to kill them for next gen.

Wii owners could be worried that maybe all third party might not support the WiiU and are going to be hesistant in buying it at first until Nintendo proves that it can get all the big third party AAA games exclusive.

Silly gilgy. No one bought the Wii for its third party support. No one stopped buying it because of a lack of third party support. No one's going to buy a Wii U because of third party exclusives.

Y'er goofy.

What are third-party exclusives?  Aren't those things that died somewhere this generation and have been replaced by stuff that console makers money hat to get, most likely in the form of early release dates for add ons?

Hmm.. what is the last third-party exclusive that made any waves?

richardhutnik said:

What are third-party exclusives?  Aren't those things that died somewhere this generation and have been replaced by stuff that console makers money hat to get, most likely in the form of early release dates for add ons?

Hmm.. what is the last third-party exclusive that made any waves?

Probably Just Dance. Did it eventually get ported too, or were those just its sequels?

Around the Network

I think Wii U graphics might get a little dated compared to XBox Next and PS Next in 2-3 years, but it will do much better in terms of lasting appeal than the Wii did.

Snesboy said:
TeddostheFireKing said:

According to Metacritic, games which are rated 80+ (I used the hole list here, I was being quick):
PS3 has 280 
360 has 322 
Wii has 103 

I think ryuzaki57 point of PS3 and 360 having countless quality games that the Wii doesn't have has quite a bit of merit (also, review wise, CoD is a very high quality franchise).

Taking this argument further, I disagree with Metacritic, and the reason i disagree is that millions of dollars were spent on marketing, and game development, last gen.

To say that money doesn't = critical reception, especially in an age of unlimited game news sources, is ridiculous.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

dahuman said:
don't know much about power, looked like fun family games, shitty ass presentations, Iwata videos are better, Ubisoft crushed everybody else. It's basically another family console, which is not a bad thing, but a lot of wasted graphical power for sure.

Uh...a console with hardcore games like Mass Effect, Assassin Creed, Batman Arkham City , and a brand new Zombie exclusive make it a family console?  Oh, and Trine 2, which this particular version is Wii U exclusive, same with ZombiU, & the newest Ghost Recon Online (which is a multi-platform title) heading to the console.  Dude, look Mass Effect, and Arkam City are ports, but so what?  Dude, no matter how you look at it, but those are classified as hardcore titles, and the only reason Nintendo brougt on quite a few of "family friendly" titles was because they wanted to find a balance between the two audiences.  If you really don't know Nintendo made this console to appeal to both hardcore and casual gamers, then you really did not do your research.

Who?

Snesboy said:

Ahahahaha, this is why I love Snesboy

Gilgamesh said:

I just finished watching Nintendo's E3 and I have to say Nintendo really dropped the ball.  There launching there new console this holiday and they didn't bring anything very different that we already knew. The graphics look to be on par with the PS3/X360 and it's more then likely going to be at a higehr price. They needed to announced some specs/price and actual release date now to get people excited which they didn't.

Now all hope is not lost, there still is TGS, but usually E3 is reserved for there biggest games.  Only time can tell, there is less then six month to release and the Wii U is looking identical to the Wii. Nice little innovate controller, ports of existing game franchises, and a ton of Mario games. It's a shame nothing has really change for them this gen, but I kind of understand since the Wii did sell a lot, I'm just skeptical there going to be able to pull it off after people seeing all third party support went to Microsft and Sony.

So just a recap, Nintendo basically is coming out with a Wii2, which they shouldn't of because of how the Wii ended it's gen, so many people moved over to X360 or PS3 and left the Wii's gather dust, they should of came up with an entirely new concept. Something to attract third party. Now Nintendo Land...just looks like a bad version of Home, they didn't even upgrade the Mii characters, they looked awful.

But anything can happen, no one thought the Wii was going to sell anything and look what it did, only time will tell, I'm just dissapointed.

Did you really expect graphics substantially better than PS3 / X360? We're past the point of diminished returns now. Graphics != profit, and that's the bottom line for each of the big three now, especially since the consoles depend on services now as much as games. Wii didn't really weaken too much at the end, it's just a device that had three phases - hot shit / motion monopoly (Nov 2006 - Sept 2010), motion-plurality (Sept 2010 - Dec 2011), and now legacy console (2012 to whenever).

The thing is, look at the launch window / holiday line up (likely Nov 2012 - March 2013):

Sequels to 10m - 40m level hits:

Just Dance 4

New Super Mario Bros. Wii U:

Wii Fit U

Sequels to 5m - 10m level hits (including multiplats):

Assassin's Creed 3 Wii U

Likely COD / Likely BF?

Major Ports /  Minor Sequels / Breakout Titles -   500k - 5m

Mass Effect 3

Batman

Pikmin 3

Sing

Wii U Panorama

Nintendoland

Zombi U

Rayman Legends

Dragon Quest X

Tekken

Tank Tank

Project 100

Your Shape

Avenger's Game

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu