By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo just shot themselves in the foot for next gen, repeat of Wii all over again

A repeat of the Wii?

OK I am fine with another two Kororinpa games

WHERE IS MY KORORINPA 3

Around the Network

Also, did any of you guys really saw Nintendo's E3 conference?. They did show many 3rd party "hardcore" games like Mass Effect 3. Ninja Gaiden 2, Assassins Creed 3, Arkham City...etc etc. I just see sony/microsoft fanboys in disguise here.

EdHieron said:
Gilgamesh said:
EdHieron said:

They'd better keep the price down to $350 at launch especially with 720 coming out at $400.00 and PS4 coming out at $450.00 in 2013 with both of them having 4 times the processing power of Wii-U.

Since when did they confirm pricing for any of the consoles you mentioned...

It's safe to assume that the difference in price and power between Wii-U and The Real Next Gen Twinz will follow that between 3DS and Vita quite closely ie. Sony's next console will be as powerful at release versus the Wii-U as the Vita is in respect to the 3DS with the price difference being being quite comparable to the PS Vita's $250 versus the 3DS's $200 at launch with many more Next Gen Core games on the way for PS4 and the 720 will follow the PS4's pattern. 

The 360 launched at $400.00.  Microsoft saw what happened to Sony this gen when they missed the $400.00 sweet spot for true next gen consoles and will once again launch their new console which will will be loaded with as much true next gen tech as you can cram, into a box for $400.00.  The PS4 due to slightly more advanced tech will check in at $450; however as mentioned above its price at launch will be relative to Vita's versus 3DS.

There are never reliable patterns and it's never safe to assume anything with video games. In Sony's state it wouldn't surprise me if they released a PS4 at $299, there are no confirmed specs for the PS4 or Xbox8 so we obviously know nothing. The only console price you can slightly predict is the WiiU based on all the info we were given so far, we still don't really have an exact detailed spec list of what's inside but from what we see it's safe to say it'll be around the $350 price point, maybe more because of that fancy controller they're throwing in. 

BlueRabbit17 said:
Also, did any of you guys really saw Nintendo's E3 conference?. They did show many 3rd party "hardcore" games like Mass Effect 3. Ninja Gaiden 2, Assassins Creed 3, Arkham City...etc etc. I just see sony/microsoft fanboys in disguise here.

I did watch it, but how long will it last is the question. The same thing happened when the Wii's release it had some pretty decent support at the beginning until it all just went bad. Also that's another problem, will people that owned a Wii buy the WiiU for it's "hardcore"  games? no they won't only time will tell if Nintendo can get some X360/PS3 owners to move over to the WiiU and so far it's not looking very good, why would a X360/PS3 owner upgrade to a console with a lot less games that basically look the same as X360/PS3 games, I say this because the WiiU is going to be out for maybe a year longer then the competition.

The Wii brought in a lot of new consumers (old people, really young people), not saying that's the majority but it's obivously a fact a lot of people in that category bought the Wii. So why did they buy the Wii? from the simplicity of it. Now looking at the new WiiU controller they kind of just said fuck simplicity...

TheSource said:
Gilgamesh said:

I just finished watching Nintendo's E3 and I have to say Nintendo really dropped the ball.  There launching there new console this holiday and they didn't bring anything very different that we already knew. The graphics look to be on par with the PS3/X360 and it's more then likely going to be at a higehr price. They needed to announced some specs/price and actual release date now to get people excited which they didn't.

Now all hope is not lost, there still is TGS, but usually E3 is reserved for there biggest games.  Only time can tell, there is less then six month to release and the Wii U is looking identical to the Wii. Nice little innovate controller, ports of existing game franchises, and a ton of Mario games. It's a shame nothing has really change for them this gen, but I kind of understand since the Wii did sell a lot, I'm just skeptical there going to be able to pull it off after people seeing all third party support went to Microsft and Sony.

So just a recap, Nintendo basically is coming out with a Wii2, which they shouldn't of because of how the Wii ended it's gen, so many people moved over to X360 or PS3 and left the Wii's gather dust, they should of came up with an entirely new concept. Something to attract third party. Now Nintendo Land...just looks like a bad version of Home, they didn't even upgrade the Mii characters, they looked awful.

But anything can happen, no one thought the Wii was going to sell anything and look what it did, only time will tell, I'm just dissapointed.

Did you really expect graphics substantially better than PS3 / X360? We're past the point of diminished returns now. Graphics != profit, and that's the bottom line for each of the big three now, especially since the consoles depend on services now as much as games. Wii didn't really weaken too much at the end, it's just a device that had three phases - hot shit / motion monopoly (Nov 2006 - Sept 2010), motion-plurality (Sept 2010 - Dec 2011), and now legacy console (2012 to whenever).

The thing is, look at the launch window / holiday line up (likely Nov 2012 - March 2013):

Sequels to 10m - 40m level hits:

Just Dance 4

New Super Mario Bros. Wii U:

Wii Fit U

Sequels to 5m - 10m level hits (including multiplats):

Assassin's Creed 3 Wii U

Likely COD / Likely BF?

Major Ports /  Minor Sequels / Breakout Titles -   500k - 5m

Mass Effect 3

Batman

Pikmin 3

Sing

Wii U Panorama

Nintendoland

Zombi U

Rayman Legends

Dragon Quest X

Tekken

Tank Tank

Project 100

Your Shape

Avenger's Game

I just don't think Nintendo realizes who there selling this console to. Will people be able to adapt to the new controller as easilly as the old one? no. Will those games sell? obviously, but to Wii's level? hard to say, from the get go I don't see any records being set by the WiiU. Also can Nintendo keep up this support, that's the question.

Even you must realize the Wii did not end well, unlike most first place consoles when they begin to sell well they continue until the end of the generation. Well the Wii's generation lasted about 3 or 4 years while the X360 and PS3 kept pushing on stealing away those Wii sales and convincing most consumers that there product is better. This generation Microsoft definitely proved themselves that they can run with the big boys and they could be quite the force to deal with next generation. Sony's state is not good and they can't afford to come out with expensive consoles that put out big losses, what if they come out with a $299 PS3 with much better specs/features then the WiiU? it's possible the PS4 is only going to come out maybe 2013/2014.

Again a lot of people could be thinking hmm the Wii had great games by Nintendo but the big quality budget games like, CoD, GTA, red dead redemption, Battlefield, elders scrolls (obviously I can go on), were all on PS3 and X360. Is Mass effect and assassins creed enough to convince the old Wii owners that Nintendo is going to be getting these huge blockbuster games on there console on each release? not really, not yet.

Another thing to is online gaming, we didn't see much about it, no cross game chat or anything enticing about multiplayer, that's not good and if Nintendo doesn't show off some info about that soon that could scare away a lot of consumers, if it's there will it be as great as an experience as the Xbox Live or PSN? who knows.

Around the Network

man i was going to give nintenblo another chance but from what im hearing now most games will still be in 720p at 30fps i thought this was suppose to be a nxt gen system lmao!!!!!!!!!!!

the nintendo press conference got the worst grades from game trailers's invisble walls show, and a good point they pointed out is that most of the market that bought the wii have moved on to gaming on their tablets and smart phones, even though a part of the market still exists its not as big as the casual market 2-3 years ago. so ninty really hard to go out and try and get the "hardcore gamer". all they showed was pikmin and old ports, yes aliens and ac3 are coming out which is good as well as other games, but why will people who bought the 360 or ps3 buy a wii u if all conoles are going to have the same third party.

that said i expect nintendo to still have a lot to show, just disapointed that they didnt show anything this week.

Being in 3rd place never felt so good

BlueRabbit17 said:

all these games are already out(other then ac3) 

zaire360 said:
man i was going to give nintenblo another chance but from what im hearing now most games will still be in 720p at 30fps i thought this was suppose to be a nxt gen system lmao!!!!!!!!!!!

from how i see it the wii u is how nintendo is competing with the 360-ps3 and at the same time releasing a new console.

Gilgamesh said:
BlueRabbit17 said:

I did watch it, but how long will it last is the question. The same thing happened when the Wii's release it had some pretty decent support at the beginning until it all just went bad. Also that's another problem, will people that owned a Wii buy the WiiU for it's "hardcore"  games? no they won't only time will tell if Nintendo can get some X360/PS3 owners to move over to the WiiU and so far it's not looking very good, why would a X360/PS3 owner upgrade to a console with a lot less games that basically look the same as X360/PS3 games, I say this because the WiiU is going to be out for maybe a year longer then the competition.

The Wii brought in a lot of new consumers (old people, really young people), not saying that's the majority but it's obivously a fact a lot of people in that category bought the Wii. So why did they buy the Wii? from the simplicity of it. Now looking at the new WiiU controller they kind of just said fuck simplicity...

Several things:

* You do realize the Wii controllers work with the WiiU, right?  A number of multiplayer games will use the Wii configuration on it.

* You did watch things regarding the WiiU presentation and the scene where dad comes in and watches the ball game, and kicks his son off the big screen, and his son still can play.  Pretty much the second screen enables this to happen.  Unless the next gen Sony and Microsoft consoles will have this built in, it won't be a feature with every one of their consoles.  In short, the WiiU's approach is one more acceptable to parents in the house.  And the reverse is true in that someone can start playing on the controller and then kick it to the big screen.  Also, if you don't have a high def TV, and your kid wants a high def system, which one do you think parents would get?  Or, you don't want them in the living room with the system, and they want one?  The WiiU is the only option very likely for this.

* The WiiU controller doubles as a TV remote, giving it another reason to be in the living room and coexist in the current ecosystem of the living room.  It doesn't impose itself on the living room, and try to take over the way Microsoft is trying to, and even Sony to some extent.  Nintendo wants to coexist in the living room, not take it over.

* The WiiU offers a second window for play, that enhances the Wii experience.  And seriously, you think a tablet is too hard for casual gamers to grasp?  If it is, then why does everyone and their cousin feel comfortable with tablets and use them?  The DS alone shows that people are comfortable with this configuration.