By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo just shot themselves in the foot for next gen, repeat of Wii all over again

ripping on Nintendo, gilgamesh must have forgot the Sony presser the one that didn't show vita games. I guess the system is doing so well it doesn't need the hype.
The controller is rather innovated but Nintendo didn't have a surprise game so that was disappointing.

Around the Network
Gilgamesh said:
EdHieron said:

They'd better keep the price down to $350 at launch especially with 720 coming out at $400.00 and PS4 coming out at $450.00 in 2013 with both of them having 4 times the processing power of Wii-U.

Since when did they confirm pricing for any of the consoles you mentioned...

It's safe to assume that the difference in price and power between Wii-U and The Real Next Gen Twinz will follow that between 3DS and Vita quite closely ie. Sony's next console will be as powerful at release versus the Wii-U as the Vita is in respect to the 3DS with the price difference being being quite comparable to the PS Vita's $250 versus the 3DS's $200 at launch with many more Next Gen Core games on the way for PS4 and the 720 will follow the PS4's pattern. 

The 360 launched at $400.00.  Microsoft saw what happened to Sony this gen when they missed the $400.00 sweet spot for true next gen consoles and will once again launch their new console which will will be loaded with as much true next gen tech as you can cram, into a box for $400.00.  The PS4 due to slightly more advanced tech will check in at $450; however as mentioned above its price at launch will be relative to Vita's versus 3DS.

amp316 said:
noname2200 said:
amp316 said:

I hope that it's a repeat of the Wii all over again. That's one of my favorite gaming systems ever (until Nintendo stopped supporting it).

It had a good two years, didn't it?

Yep, 2007 and 2008 were very good.

2010????  Monster Hunter Tri, Tatsunoko vs Capcom, Mario Galaxy 2, Other M, Sin and Punishment 2, Epic Mickey, No More Heroes 2, Red Steel 2, I would say 2010 was a fantastic year

I will never understand how the Wii is considered a failure never to be repeated by Nintendo, It managed to sell 96 million copies and even today it manages to sell more than the PSvita (somehow, the Vita is considered a diamond in the rough tho) so when people say "Nintendo is making the same mistakes it made with the Wii" I am willing to bet that Nintendo only wishes this is the case.

Secondly, looking at the positive, I find NintendoLand a great way to introduces us all to the GamePad, I mean how much can we complaint about something that we all know it's going to be free.
Mii Verse really has me excited, finally a social way to chat/ communicate / post things about the games I REALLY love, (XboxLive and PS Network are great dont get me wrong, but Ninty is where my heart is).

Games wise? we all know Super Mario Bros U is a console seller, do not underestimate a 2d Mario game, last 2 did pretty well right? Pikmin 3, Zombi are must buy titles, then there are games that caught my interest such as Project P-100, Tank, Tank, Tank, I admit I wanted a surprise game but we all know the heavy hitters are coming, I am sure Nintendo learned the mistake from 3ds and it will rely on the games mentioned to launch the Wii-U and keep on giving us during 2013,

Lastly, lets all be real, we all know that us the Nintendo fans will buy the Wii-U no matter what, (and believe me there are a lot of us)

Ryushi said:
dahuman said:
don't know much about power, looked like fun family games, shitty ass presentations, Iwata videos are better, Ubisoft crushed everybody else. It's basically another family console, which is not a bad thing, but a lot of wasted graphical power for sure.

Uh...a console with hardcore games like Mass Effect, Assassin Creed, Batman Arkham City , and a brand new Zombie exclusive make it a family console?  Oh, and Trine 2, which this particular version is Wii U exclusive, same with ZombiU, & the newest Ghost Recon Online (which is a multi-platform title) heading to the console.  Dude, look Mass Effect, and Arkam City are ports, but so what?  Dude, no matter how you look at it, but those are classified as hardcore titles, and the only reason Nintendo brougt on quite a few of "family friendly" titles was because they wanted to find a balance between the two audiences.  If you really don't know Nintendo made this console to appeal to both hardcore and casual gamers, then you really did not do your research.

That's what I got from the conference, I really like what they showed as far as family games go personally, I'm also a PC gamer so..... uh, yeah..... Batman, ME3, DS2, and AC3 don't mean as much to me on Wii U, but Wii only owners should rejoice. I really dig ZombieU and Rayman Legends though, and I do dig teh Marioz. They are missing a lot of the important games for later or early next year still, which I suspect is the reason for the delay of so many 3rd party games right now is they want to make a Wii U port.

Notice I never said casual BTW? I said family console, take it however you will, it's not a bad thing at all, but I do also know it's more powerful than the 360 or PS3 when games are considered so yeah, so far there is a lot of wasted graphical power. I personally don't agree with Gilga's sentiment to where Nintendo shot themselves in the foot, as the PS3 is the most impressive console current gen yet is yielding the lowest results currently even though it has many top quality games so don't get all crazy on me =P

Around the Network
megaman79 said:
Snesboy said:
TeddostheFireKing said:

According to Metacritic, games which are rated 80+ (I used the hole list here, I was being quick):
PS3 has 280 
360 has 322 
Wii has 103 

I think ryuzaki57 point of PS3 and 360 having countless quality games that the Wii doesn't have has quite a bit of merit (also, review wise, CoD is a very high quality franchise).

According to metacritic, fuck you.

Taking this argument further, I disagree with Metacritic, and the reason i disagree is that millions of dollars were spent on marketing, and game development, last gen.

To say that money doesn't = critical reception, especially in an age of unlimited game news sources, is ridiculous.

I agree that money does help, AC1 and K&L1 both had their share of reviwers being caught out due to the buggy messes they were, but we really don't have any other way to judge how good a game is on a large scale :/

Appreciate the comment snesboy >.>

btw 30000yen price means most likely 300 USD in the states, if that's the case, it's first day for sure, if it's 350, then I'd have to think about it.

I love nintendo and always will with their unique play and adorable characters.  But this E3, I would say the winner (console manufacturers) was 1. Sony, 2. Nintendo, and 3. MS.

Nintendo really let me down.  I expected some excitement in their presentation and was just absolutely walled with the ending of the presentation.  Fireworks from that game that showed not really much of anything in my opinion?  Really, fireworks?

I was waiting for huge announcements with core games and was completely let down.  I'm not a pikmin fan so that didn't excite me.  The new mario U was cool but what else?  I was honestly expecting GTA5 to appear at the end with a huge announcement.  My expectations were high.  But even with out something that huge, there was still nothing else really big.  I'm let down.

Sony's presentation was lame to me but they did have some really cool games to show.  But the magic game stuff is just really getting goofy I think.  And Wonderbook?!?  Way worse than any peripherial that the Wii has had.

MS with their version of Apple's iOS Airplay was lame and late to the game.  Don't see how that's turning a lot of heads.  And another Halo.  Another?  People talk about Nintendo milking their franchises to death but all of them are doing it so let's be fair.

I guess I have to save my excitement for Apple's WWDC next week.  Hope they drop a gamer's bomb and announce an iController to play some core games on the AppleTV with a partnership with Steam or something incredible through the iTunes store.  THAT would just be AWESOME.

Sorry nintendo, love you, and Zombie U too, but I just might pass up the day 1 purchase this time around.  The only way a Wii U will be in my house this year is if the wife buys it for Wii Fit U.

My mushroom has officially been crushed by it's creator.

Consoles owned: NES, N64, PS1, GC, PS2, Wii.

Currently playing...

Well, we all know this is coming, so I am going to say it before THEY do it......THE WIIU IS DOOOOMED!
let it begin, smh

I'm just waiting for the next gens consoles to come out so I can buy the current games at a lower price. Meanwhile, I'll stick with emulators and the few ps3 games I own.

Man, it's been 2 years since my last post. Finally got used to the new design of the site.