By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo just shot themselves in the foot for next gen, repeat of Wii all over again

Hold on a sec... so the definiton of shooting yourself in the foot as a console maker is to end up coming out with the console that is the top-selling console of the generation?  If that is shooting yourself in the foot, Microsoft and Sony would want to shoot themselves in both feed, their need, and also the crotch, if that would get them the largest installed base.

Around the Network
selnor said:
Wii U seemed really bad after Smartglass was shown. The potential and scope of Smartglass quite frankly just killed Nintendo for me.

Would you wager that Smart Glass won't require an XBox Live Gold account to be able to integrate with games?  How else do you expectr Smart Glass to work with an XBox 360, outside of using an XBox Live Gold account when it comes to games?  WiiU doesn't require any of it, and Nintendo's approach is far more suited than Microsoft to actually finding new people with similar interest than XBox Live.  Microsoft with Live has you drag your current social network of friends onto live.  What Nintendo is doing is help you find new people.

Pjams said:
selnor said:
Wii U seemed really bad after Smartglass was shown. The potential and scope of Smartglass quite frankly just killed Nintendo for me.

Really, thats the best you can do? The Wii U tablet vs. Smartglass? It takes a special kind of blindness to create that in your head.

Actually, it is more like this: "Hey, I am a Microsoft fan.  Any time Microsoft comes up with something, it is intrinsically better... because Micrsoft did it, and their approach with it makes it automatically better.  Wait a sec, let me see what they said it can do... ok, got it.  Yeah, you saw what they said.  That is why it is better".  In this NONE of the down side to Smartglass is ever considered, because the idea is to be a fan and a partisan, not view things on what really matters to oneself.

ryuzaki57 said:
Mr Khan said:
ryuzaki57 said:
Snesboy said:
ryuzaki57 said:
milkyjoe said:
Does it need to be pointed out why saying "repeat of the Wii" and "shot themselves in the foot" are contradictory statements?

No. Wii did fail. It can't compete in the long run with PS360, and it's already leagues behind in software sales and quality.

Because Call of Duty is such a quality franchise.

Call of Duty is not a quality franchise, but besides CoD PS360 has countless quality games that Wii doesn't have. So the HD twins win in overall quality. 

Subjective, and therefore unprovable.

If everything is subjective, why do we even debate?

Because there is an objective metric, if we track back to Snesboy's statement.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

richardhutnik said:
Pjams said:
selnor said:

Really, thats the best you can do? The Wii U tablet vs. Smartglass? It takes a special kind of blindness to create that in your head.

Actually, it is more like this: "Hey, I am a Microsoft fan.  Any time Microsoft comes up with something, it is intrinsically better... because Micrsoft did it, and their approach with it makes it automatically better.  Wait a sec, let me see what they said it can do... ok, got it.  Yeah, you saw what they said.  That is why it is better".  In this NONE of the down side to Smartglass is ever considered, because the idea is to be a fan and a partisan, not view things on what really matters to oneself.

I do prefer an eloquence in my posts, but yes, the sentiment is equal

Around the Network
richardhutnik said:
Pjams said:
selnor said:

Exactomundo. Laughable blindness

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

richardhutnik said:

Hold on a sec... so the definiton of shooting yourself in the foot as a console maker is to end up coming out with the console that is the top-selling console of the generation?  If that is shooting yourself in the foot, Microsoft and Sony would want to shoot themselves in both feed, their need, and also the crotch, if that would get them the largest installed base.

Read my replies, I think this is the third time saying this. The Wii had a great first half of the gen but a horrible second half. In the end people bought X360 and PS3 instead since the Wii had no third party support, the Wii now kind of leaves a bad taste in your mouth because of how it ended, this gen is going to be rememberred as the Wii coming out strong with this new innovative controller, after a couple years...wheres the games? oh they all went to X360/PS3. They should of came up with something completely different and get rid of that "Wii" name which is going to kill them for next gen.

Wii owners could be worried that maybe all third party might not support the WiiU and are going to be hesistant in buying it at first until Nintendo proves that it can get all the big third party AAA games exclusive.

Gilgamesh said:

Read my replies, I think this is the third time saying this. The Wii had a great first half of the gen but a horrible second half. In the end people bought X360 and PS3 instead since the Wii had no third party support, the Wii now kind of leaves a bad taste in your mouth because of how it ended, this gen is going to be rememberred as the Wii coming out strong with this new innovative controller, after a couple years...wheres the games? oh they all went to X360/PS3. They should of came up with something completely different and get rid of that "Wii" name which is going to kill them for next gen.

Wii owners could be worried that maybe all third party might not support the WiiU and are going to be hesistant in buying it at first until Nintendo proves that it can get all the big third party AAA games exclusive.

Silly gilgy. No one bought the Wii for its third party support. No one stopped buying it because of a lack of third party support. No one's going to buy a Wii U because of third party exclusives.

Y'er goofy.

People are just overreacting, it's wasn't as bad as people are making out, people just couldn't wait to jump on Nintendo at the first chance, Nintendo probably thought it's going out on t.v and was a chance to get more casual gamers and a wider audience interested, Nintendo know the hardcore will find out what the systems about by themselves, the hardcore don't need a presentation to find out what a systems all about, hardcore gamers look for the latest news all the time and will know what games will becoming, and Nintendo and 3rd party's will be announcing new news over the coming weeks
And right upto release.

They'd better keep the price down to $350 at launch especially with 720 coming out at $400.00 and PS4 coming out at $450.00 in 2013 with both of them having 4 times the processing power of Wii-U.