By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo just shot themselves in the foot for next gen, repeat of Wii all over again

Mr Khan said:
thismeintiel said:
BasilZero said:

There's also a 99% chance more than likely that the AC3 for the Wii-U will also be a direct port due to the fact that the game is coming out in October 30th 2012, while the Wii-U by the looks and rumors may seem to be pushing on Winter 2012, although I think there's a chance they might release it in Feb 2013....

I've been thinking this, too.  It's strange they didn't reveal any of that info at E3, even though we have only 4-5 months before they would be releasing it.  Unless they're going to be releasing this info casually in a week or so (which just won't have the same impact as an E3 announcement would) or if they're going to drop the bomb just a month or so before release (which seems like a mistake to me and could backfire), then a Q1 2013 release is looking more likely to me.

That's how it was with Wii. Release date and price information, as well as the solidified launch lineup, was not released at E3 2006 but rather at an event Nintendo called "Worldwide Wii Day," September 14th, 2006, which is also where they revealed the Wii channel system and details on the Wii Shop and Wii online. E3, for them, was all about proof of concept in real games, and while they showed a more extensive first party lineup there, basic details were thin on the ground, but everything was in place for a holiday launch.

Ah, that's good to know.  So it will most likely be the same way for the Wii U.

Around the Network

i wonder if the fact that you can use your existing peripherals like the Wiimote and i suppose the Balance board, will do anything to lure people in.

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

are u saying this for positive or negative? i mean repeat of Wii would be a good thing for me, even if 3rd parties were not strong on Wii, the console and it's games were still great

WiiU is not as unique as the Wii, so i guess any power and 3rd parties they can get is for good

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

i think nintendo will be in a tougher fight with microsoft and sony because the so called casual games can be had on any platform,but the new controller has plenty of options/ways to make games fun being the DM for just dance for example

the nintendo games will be as appealing as ever and look great and i'm sure the nintendoland/online places will be pretty good too which interests me more

Above & Beyond

Well, I thought the presentation was OK, but I agree that "OK" is pretty disappointing for a new console.
Pikmen 3 looked fine and having those 3rd parties (unfortunately largely games that already released) is aswell, but I really hoped to see some big new IPs (big budget - "core" oriented) alongside their established ones.

Around the Network

I miss playing nintendo games, unfortunately from the looks of the new console,
I wont be playing them anytime soon....damn!

thismeintiel said:
killeryoshis said:
Last time gilgamesh made a prediction (3ds vs Vita) it went terribly wrong. So I am coming at this with a opposite view.

I believe Nintendo actually did a good job on the hardware and will attract lots of 3rd party support. I believe it is Sony and Microsoft that shot themselves on the foot. They now allowed Nintendo to have a head start. History shows that head starts are very deadly and even led to domination in some generations. If wii u does come dead on arrival it will have time to pick up and if it does oh my the competition is screwed!

Since the gaming crash of '83 and gaming's "rebirth", the only system to launch first and be the market leader was the NES.

4th Gen

Genesis - ~40M (released Oct '88)

SNES - 49.1M (released Nov '90)

5th Gen

Saturn - 9.5M (released Nov '94)

PS1 - 102.49M (released Dec '94)

6th Gen

Dreamcast - 10.6M (released Nov '98)

PS2 - 154.4M (released Mar '00)

7th Gen

360 - 67.2M (released Nov '05)

Wii - 95.85M (released Nov '06)

An interesting thing to note is that the person who launches 2nd, since the NES, is the one who has won the gen.  If rumors prove true, Sony is planning to launch 2nd next gen.  I wonder if history will repeat itself.  Well, technically the PS3 launched 2nd this gen, but since the Wii launched just a few days after I'd consider them both launching 2nd.

I can see what you mean. But read what I said in bold. Being first to launch doesn't gurentee  selling the best but rather gives a big advantage. 2nd when I meant headstart I meant more Genesis vs SNES,   Ps1 vs N64,   PS2 vs GC/Xbox    360 vs Ps3.

I discard Saturn and Dreamcast mostly because while they were first they did launch too early (saturn launched before any major software was ready.) Dreamcast was relased in Japan 2 years AFTER the N64 relased.

Launching first was only bad for the dreamcast and saturn did well enough unless they were not the big 4. (srry Atari and 3DO)

3 Examples of headstarts used well

Genesis vs SNES. In america (the place where the SNES lost the most marketshare) Genesis had a  2 year headstart. This led Nintendo from dominating the hardware race to having a hard time winning.

PS1 vs N64. PS1 had a 1.5 year headstart over the N64. The PS1 started slow but built up with more 3rd parties and by the time N64 came out it was at a disadvantage.

360 vs PS3. 360 is only in 2nd place due to the headstart. Sure it didn't beat wii but Microsoft was aiming their guns at Sony. For them wii was a unexpected hit. but  the headstart  did give microsoft a advantage against its main competitor the PS3

Wii U could use its headstart to gain 3rd party support and gain momentum. It really has a big advantage. This is also the Second time Nintendo launched first since the NES on the home console field. We all know how that turned out.

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

Gilgamesh said:
killeryoshis said:
Gilgamesh said:
killeryoshis said:
Gilgamesh said:
killeryoshis said:
Last time gilgamesh made a prediction (3ds vs Vita) it went terribly wrong. So I am coming at this with a opposite view.

I believe Nintendo actually did a good job on the hardware and will attract lots of 3rd party support. I believe it is Sony and Microsoft that shot themselves on the foot. They now allowed Nintendo to have a head start. History shows that head starts are very deadly and even led to domination in some generations. If wii u does come dead on arrival it will have time to pick up and if it does oh my the competition is screwed!

Since when was the eighth gen over? The 3DS and PSVita are done selling already?

What year is it!

@bold
Its 2012 but the world will end and therfore vita has no time to outsell the 3ds.

You're right this generation isn't "over" but vita will have to come back with a hell of a comeback. It will also mean that the 3DS will have to crash and burn.

We all know how this is possible for any console, even the 3DS. The Wii has shown us it's possible for a leader to crash and burn.

Of course it is possible that it can crash. But its also possible for the 3DS to go sky high. 3DS hasn't even had a redesign or pokemon or 2D mario released yet and it is destroying vita right now.  You really expect vita to suddenly start selling and 3DS for no reason to crash? Also like MrKhan said  wii built a huge gap that ps3 or 360 won't overtake it. 3DS will do the same but whether it crashes is a matter to debate

PS wii from 2009 to 2010 went to a steady decline. 2011 was crash but only because nintendo reveled  wii u that year and wii had a huge drought of games.

It did however need almost a $100 price cut within the first few months of release, don't forget about that ;)

It had a price cut because nintendo had overestimated the value of the 3D feature. The 3D display costs a lot of money and all the other features.

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

the wii u will be fine

isnt doubt nintendo eat crow a rule?