By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo just shot themselves in the foot for next gen, repeat of Wii all over again

killeryoshis said:
Gilgamesh said:
killeryoshis said:
Last time gilgamesh made a prediction (3ds vs Vita) it went terribly wrong. So I am coming at this with a opposite view.

I believe Nintendo actually did a good job on the hardware and will attract lots of 3rd party support. I believe it is Sony and Microsoft that shot themselves on the foot. They now allowed Nintendo to have a head start. History shows that head starts are very deadly and even led to domination in some generations. If wii u does come dead on arrival it will have time to pick up and if it does oh my the competition is screwed!

Since when was the eighth gen over? The 3DS and PSVita are done selling already?

What year is it!

@bold
Its 2012 but the world will end and therfore vita has no time to outsell the 3ds.

You're right this generation isn't "over" but vita will have to come back with a hell of a comeback. It will also mean that the 3DS will have to crash and burn.

We all know how this is possible for any console, even the 3DS. The Wii has shown us it's possible for a leader to crash and burn.

Around the Network
Gilgamesh said:
killeryoshis said:
Gilgamesh said:
killeryoshis said:
Last time gilgamesh made a prediction (3ds vs Vita) it went terribly wrong. So I am coming at this with a opposite view.

I believe Nintendo actually did a good job on the hardware and will attract lots of 3rd party support. I believe it is Sony and Microsoft that shot themselves on the foot. They now allowed Nintendo to have a head start. History shows that head starts are very deadly and even led to domination in some generations. If wii u does come dead on arrival it will have time to pick up and if it does oh my the competition is screwed!

Since when was the eighth gen over? The 3DS and PSVita are done selling already?

What year is it!

@bold
Its 2012 but the world will end and therfore vita has no time to outsell the 3ds.

You're right this generation isn't "over" but vita will have to come back with a hell of a comeback. It will also mean that the 3DS will have to crash and burn.

We all know how this is possible for any console, even the 3DS. The Wii has shown us it's possible for a leader to crash and burn.

But not to the point that it is overtaken. You're also overstating the concept of "crash and burn"

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

I'm sure Nintendo won't mind having Wii like success with the Wii U

I think most local multiplayer games will use the Wii remotes, I don't see developers making heavy use of the system's capability of two gamepads. I don't think it would feel like next gen to me if I'm still using the Wiimote

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash

Gilgamesh said:
killeryoshis said:
Gilgamesh said:
killeryoshis said:

What year is it!

@bold

Of course it is possible that it can crash. But its also possible for the 3DS to go sky high. 3DS hasn't even had a redesign or pokemon or 2D mario released yet and it is destroying vita right now.  You really expect vita to suddenly start selling and 3DS for no reason to crash? Also like MrKhan said  wii built a huge gap that ps3 or 360 won't overtake it. 3DS will do the same but whether it crashes is a matter to debate

PS wii from 2009 to 2010 went to a steady decline. 2011 was crash but only because nintendo reveled  wii u that year and wii had a huge drought of games.

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

Around the Network
killeryoshis said:

Since the gaming crash of '83 and gaming's "rebirth", the only system to launch first and be the market leader was the NES.

4th Gen

Genesis - ~40M (released Oct '88)

SNES - 49.1M (released Nov '90)

5th Gen

Saturn - 9.5M (released Nov '94)

PS1 - 102.49M (released Dec '94)

6th Gen

Dreamcast - 10.6M (released Nov '98)

PS2 - 154.4M (released Mar '00)

7th Gen

360 - 67.2M (released Nov '05)

Wii - 95.85M (released Nov '06)

An interesting thing to note is that the person who launches 2nd, since the NES, is the one who has won the gen.  If rumors prove true, Sony is planning to launch 2nd next gen.  I wonder if history will repeat itself.  Well, technically the PS3 launched 2nd this gen, but since the Wii launched just a few days after I'd consider them both launching 2nd.

I agree. Lame. Did you see the last Zelda? The graphics were worse! than Ocarina. Only a child would play it. How disappointing. I  guess they have to get out of the adult game market or be driven into bankrupty by Microsoft, like what's happening to Sony.

BasilZero said:
zgamer5 said:
BlueRabbit17 said:
Also, did any of you guys really saw Nintendo's E3 conference?. They did show many 3rd party "hardcore" games like Mass Effect 3. Ninja Gaiden 2, Assassins Creed 3, Arkham City...etc etc. I just see sony/microsoft fanboys in disguise here.

all these games are already out(other then ac3) 

There's also a 99% chance more than likely that the AC3 for the Wii-U will also be a direct port due to the fact that the game is coming out in October 30th 2012, while the Wii-U by the looks and rumors may seem to be pushing on Winter 2012, although I think there's a chance they might release it in Feb 2013....

I've been thinking this, too.  It's strange they didn't reveal any of that info at E3, even though we have only 4-5 months before they would be releasing it.  Unless they're going to be releasing this info casually in a week or so (which just won't have the same impact as an E3 announcement would) or if they're going to drop the bomb just a month or so before release (which seems like a mistake to me and could backfire), then a Q1 2013 release is looking more likely to me.

thismeintiel said:
BasilZero said:
zgamer5 said:
BlueRabbit17 said:
Also, did any of you guys really saw Nintendo's E3 conference?. They did show many 3rd party "hardcore" games like Mass Effect 3. Ninja Gaiden 2, Assassins Creed 3, Arkham City...etc etc. I just see sony/microsoft fanboys in disguise here.

all these games are already out(other then ac3) 

There's also a 99% chance more than likely that the AC3 for the Wii-U will also be a direct port due to the fact that the game is coming out in October 30th 2012, while the Wii-U by the looks and rumors may seem to be pushing on Winter 2012, although I think there's a chance they might release it in Feb 2013....

I've been thinking this, too.  It's strange they didn't reveal any of that info at E3, even though we have only 4-5 months before they would be releasing it.  Unless they're going to be releasing this info casually in a week or so (which just won't have the same impact as an E3 announcement would) or if they're going to drop the bomb just a month or so before release (which seems like a mistake to me and could backfire), then a Q1 2013 release is looking more likely to me.

That's how it was with Wii. Release date and price information, as well as the solidified launch lineup, was not released at E3 2006 but rather at an event Nintendo called "Worldwide Wii Day," September 14th, 2006, which is also where they revealed the Wii channel system and details on the Wii Shop and Wii online. E3, for them, was all about proof of concept in real games, and while they showed a more extensive first party lineup there, basic details were thin on the ground, but everything was in place for a holiday launch.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

killeryoshis said:
Gilgamesh said:
killeryoshis said:
Gilgamesh said:
killeryoshis said:

What year is it!

@bold

Of course it is possible that it can crash. But its also possible for the 3DS to go sky high. 3DS hasn't even had a redesign or pokemon or 2D mario released yet and it is destroying vita right now.  You really expect vita to suddenly start selling and 3DS for no reason to crash? Also like MrKhan said  wii built a huge gap that ps3 or 360 won't overtake it. 3DS will do the same but whether it crashes is a matter to debate

PS wii from 2009 to 2010 went to a steady decline. 2011 was crash but only because nintendo reveled  wii u that year and wii had a huge drought of games.

It did however need almost a $100 price cut within the first few months of release, don't forget about that ;)