Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Wii U will be in 3rd place next gen

Andre is

Absolutely spot on 34 10.93%

Probably right 56 18.01%

Probably wrong 122 39.23%

Absolutely crazy 99 31.83%

Total:311
radishhead said:
I think the WiiU will take 1st place next gen, assuming that it receives support comparable to that of the 3DS

Which so far it has been getting positive attention from the Devs. I don't see why it wouldn't be at least in second place, APM.

It's also white, I think the Wii proved that Humans like white coloured products as much as animals are attracted to shiny things.

Around the Network
duckypwns said:
VGKing said:
duckypwns said:
Nintendo is making a console. Sony and Microsoft will be making toned down PC gaming experiences once again in generation 8.

All Sony and Microsoft are really doing is making gaming more expensive, and giving their systems exclusives. You know, people get so freakin' excited when a 360 or PS3 exclusive comes out. They go on the internet and brag about how the people who don't share their brand devotion can't play that game. But all a 360 or PS3 exclusive means is that you'll have to use whatever control mechanisms Sony and Microsoft want you to, you'll have to experience the graphics that they want you to, you'll have to abide by their EULA, you can't mod games without breaking the EULA, thus, in some cases giving companies the rights to disable your system from playing games, (you may argue that they rarely do this, but who in their right mind would passively agree to that?) and you just won't have as many options as you would have had with the game had it been on PC.

Before people brag on Sony / Microsoft exclusives next generation, they need to think about what they're doing. Isn't that basically the equivalent of a bunch of toddlers crawling around in a playpen, and one of them grabs a particular toy, and starts crying and screaming, "WAHHH I WANT TO BE THE ONLY ONE THAT'S ALLOWED TO PLAY WITH THIS TOY!" so he proceeds to wipe his shit and snot all over it and then acts like everyone is supposed to be glad about it? I mean correct me if I'm wrong but that's pretty much a perfect analogy from what I can tell.

Every game would be better on PC, but the only reason I'm willing to tolerate Nintendo is because of two reasons that tie in together: I feel that at least ONE console is an inevitability, and I feel that they are the most reasonable when it comes to making a console, primarily due to the price point. I don't LIKE Nintendo's hardware at all, I'm only willing to tolerate it. Once Nintendo gets to the "599 USD" level they will be on my shitlist as well. But they KNOW that's how many people feel. That's why people like them. So they're not going to make that mistake.

You can't really be the ignorant.

Yes, any game can be made on PC. but the thing about Microsoft and Sony is that they realized people prefer to game with a gamepad in front of an HDTV.
PC Gaming just isn't cool. You play Call of Duty on XBox? You are cool. On PC? NERD. This is the way it was in high school for me about 2 years ago. It hasn't changed.

The only thing "Toned-down" about PS360 games are its graphics. 

", in some cases giving companies the rights to disable your system from playing games, (you may argue that they rarely do this, but who in their right mind would passively agree to that?) and you just won't have as many options as you would have had with the game had it been on PC."

That's the thing though. PS3360 exclusives ARE NOT on PC.

You really can't be this ignorant.

Yes, any game can be made on the PC. You cannot deny that, and were forced to admit it. But the thing is, Sony, Microsoft, and other companies  realized people prefer to game with a gamepad in front of an HDTV - and that's why those options are available on PC.

And thus, your entire argument shatters. Who is the ignorant one here again? I would say it's the person biased towards expensive restrictions.

I don't care about your personal life or personal perception of things. I care about the facts. And the fact is, people that think others are "nerds" for things like PC gaming never show their face in the real world because they know they have no argument. Every time my friends come over, we play games on my PC, on an HDTV, with 360 controllers, and none of them ever say "LOLOLOL NERD XDDD". Only someone like you would do that, because you can't stand someone not liking Sony / Microsoft. You just can't seem to handle the idea of someone not liking what you like, even when what you like just makes things more expensive and less fun.

And no, I just mentioned several advantages of PC gaming beyond the graphics. You know, you console kids really are funny. You claim you don't care about graphics, yet you pay more in order to have inferior graphics, and refuse to play anything with good graphics? Sorry to break it to you, but that's caring about graphics! You're perfectly content to run around screaming "LOL, THE WII IS FOR KIDS, SUCH SHITTY GRAPHICS!!! GRAPHICS ARE SO AWESOME" but then when someone says "But the PC has even better graphics", you switch your argument to "OH YEAH? WELL IT'S NOT ABOUT GRAPHICS!!! WHAT ARE YOU, A GRAPHICS WHORE?!"

And your last statement - Correct me if I'm wrong but are you literally denying the laws of supply and demand? Yes, the PS3 and 360 exclusives are not on PC - Because people won't allow them to be there. They obviously prefer paying more for them to be shittier.

Now is the idea of "paying more for a shittier product" something people do because they think it's BETTER SOMEHOW? Or do they do it out of ignorance and bias?

How many people have their PC next to their HDTV? I know I do but my GPU only has 1 HDMI input and that's used to connect to the monitor.
Ok then...laptops? Well these don't really have much of an advantage over consoles power-wise and they are limited by battery life. 

Oh and I forgot to mention the fact that most PC games still require a mouse and or keyboard on top of a gamepad.

Why would your friends make fun of themselves?

Console kids? Ok, I'm done here.

Reported.

Wii U will come last without a doubt. It will be a close race (to be 3rd) between it and the PS4 though.

Unless Nintendo can gather the casuals their sales wont be as stellar as they were this gen. E3 is the great decider as to whether the core will give a shit about Nintendos console. Doesn't mean the Wii can't have some of the hottest games and be known as one of the best next gen. Look at the N64 and Dreamcast, they never went down in history as the winners but had damn good games. Even the PS3 has the most high ranked games this gen and is in last.

Soundwave said:
Microsoft IMO is poised to be the no.1 company next generation, they have both the hardcore audience and the casual crowd now too with Kinect.

That said, Nintendo can take Sony if they are smart and aggressive with Wii U. They have a 1 year head start, likely a cheaper machine, stronger exclusive franchises, and are much more stable financially (Sony is in massive debt, Nintendo had a rough fiscal year, but still have $10+ billion in the bank to spend).

The Vita being much more powerful than the 3DS hasn't stopped the 3DS from kicking the Vita's ass every which way. We're reaching a point where better and better graphics are becoming less important, though if Nintendo was smart IMO they'd future proof the Wii U by making it upgradable.

For Microsoft to be number 1 they need to figure out how to win over Japan. Imagine where 360 would be if it sold even 50% of ps3 in Japan!

As far as power is concerned, if any of the leaks are true neither of those systems will be ground breaking. Both 360 and ps3 had gpu's that were not yet released. So don't be surprised when the difference between wii u and ps4/720 is far smaller gap than wii to ps3/360.

Speaking of sony

Ps1=cd based, Ps2= DVD player, and Ps3=blu ray player

I know I bought a ps3 for a blu ray player since it was the best around, and for the same price I could play some games if I wanted. This time around that won't be the case. Which for me will yields a next box and wii u purchase and skipping Sony this time around.

Around the Network

The Wii U will get great 3rd party support because devs aren't to make games so technically impressive that the Wii U can't run them.

My reasoning can be found in this thread:
http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=143909&page=1

PDF said:
VGKing said:

Studies have shown that most people use the iPad at home.

No, you won't store music directly on the controller, but you can on the console. There will be apps for the Wii U. At the very least Youtube/Netflix/Facebook...etc. These will all be accessible on the tablet.

Sounds like a pretty stupid study to me.  I use my laptop, and phone most at my house too but thats not what i bought them for.   I got a laptop over a desktop so i can take it with me.  I have a cellphone over a land line for the same reason. 

it's also weak to quote studies without showing at least a link to one.  (not that i doubt it, like I said it seems obvious)

We also both know that those applications that all the consoles can do is not really what I meant.   Your grasping at straws.

The connection between the ipad and the WiiU controller ends at the visuals.

Our difference of opinion really is that you think the draw in of tablets is no more than aesthetics, while I think its a bit more than that.  It plays a role but I think functionality and ability of a device is equally if not more important. 

I don't really have a link. I read it in an article. It could have been made up. Who knows.

I just know that I haven't seen anyone in public with an iPad. They're really expensive so I think people would rather leave those at home.

VGKing said:

How many people have their PC next to their HDTV? I know I do but my GPU only has 1 HDMI input and that's used to connect to the monitor.
Ok then...laptops? Well these don't really have much of an advantage over consoles power-wise and they are limited by battery life. 

Oh and I forgot to mention the fact that most PC games still require a mouse and or keyboard on top of a gamepad.

Why would your friends make fun of themselves?

Console kids? Ok, I'm done here.

Reported.

"How many people have their PC next to their HDTV? I know I do"

And I do too. So what kind of point did you think you had? And why did you pretend you couldn't do this before this? I smell bias.

Oh and I forgot to mention, you're posting on the internet with a computer right now. The difference between your computer and a gaming computer is that a gaming computer is much better, and costs much less. You're willing to rush out to Best Buy and blow $800 on a piece of shit computer, but you're not willing to pay a bit less and get a genuinely good PC.

And who doesn't own a keyboard and mouse? Are you even thinking about what you're saying? Why on earth would you want to make such a statement that's so easy to tear apart, knowing that I'm going to point it out and now you have to defend it?

Reported? For what? Making you insecure? Making you think? You can't really report someone for that.

Seriously though you are just incredibly childish, you stir up all this drama, you behave condescendingly towards people and it's pretty clear you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. You even claimed that I was a "diehard Sony hater" at one point (outside of this thread), all because I said I didn't care about, trust, or respect Sony's discretion involving their patent on game pausing advertisements.

You're just not defending anything worth defending.

VGKing said:
PDF said:
VGKing said:

Studies have shown that most people use the iPad at home.

No, you won't store music directly on the controller, but you can on the console. There will be apps for the Wii U. At the very least Youtube/Netflix/Facebook...etc. These will all be accessible on the tablet.

Sounds like a pretty stupid study to me.  I use my laptop, and phone most at my house too but thats not what i bought them for.   I got a laptop over a desktop so i can take it with me.  I have a cellphone over a land line for the same reason. 

it's also weak to quote studies without showing at least a link to one.  (not that i doubt it, like I said it seems obvious)

We also both know that those applications that all the consoles can do is not really what I meant.   Your grasping at straws.

The connection between the ipad and the WiiU controller ends at the visuals.

Our difference of opinion really is that you think the draw in of tablets is no more than aesthetics, while I think its a bit more than that.  It plays a role but I think functionality and ability of a device is equally if not more important. 

I don't really have a link. I read it in an article. It could have been made up. Who knows.

I just know that I haven't seen anyone in public with an iPad. They're really expensive so I think people would rather leave those at home.

In my school people have their IPads with them everywhere.

You do keep ignoring the root cause here, APM. Games, games, games, with them Nintendo will stand or fall, regardless of gimmick. Pricing has a root in there, but remember that they could have afforded to charge much more for Wii than they did, as evidenced by eBay.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.