Andre is

Absolutely spot on 34 10.93%

Probably right 56 18.01%

Probably wrong 122 39.23%

Absolutely crazy 99 31.83%

Total:311
Andrespetmonkey said:
Cobretti2 said:
To be honest with you. I think 3rd parties are still pissed of that they took hits this gen ebcause non of them expected Wii to win. They backed the wrong horses and lsot money initially.

Every gen since N64, 3rd party devs complain about Nintendo's console for one reason or another. They always seem to find an excuse not to develop for it. Whether Nintendo tries Gimmick, or underpowered cosnole or overpowered console doesn't seem to make a difference.

I bet if NIntendo stole a nextBox and put the components in a WiiU case, 3rd party devs would still claim that Wii U is too hard to develop for without turning on the console (as according to IGN from their mystery survey).

There's a rational reason why 3rd party is lacking on the Wii, it's not because developers are fanboys, it's because either the game they're building for ps360/PC just doesn't translate well to such a weaker system with such a different control scheme, or because the publisher of said game has had bad sales on the Wii or thinks it will have bad sales. Or both. 

Developers and especially publishers don't hate money, so if there isn't a rational reason to not develop for a Ninty console, they will.

that is because they have either released crap or "test games" to test sales.

i.e. CAPCOM and their on rails RE games.

if they trully cared about suceeding on the wii they would have built games from the ground up early on when sales boomed. 4-5 years into the console like was too late.

Around the Network
Jay520 said:
Also, the Wii U will be launch a year before the other consoles. If within that time period, 3rd party developers find success, they'll likely stick with the Wii U just to be safe.

True. People always like to cite a system coming out first as an inherent negative, but it's not. Companies that intend to compete with the WiiU have the advantage of being able to create a more powerful system. But that's basically the ONLY advantage they have. And it's not even really an advantage, as much as it is an obligation. Why would someone release something weaker than what is already out?

I mean what seems more attractive to the consumer? The system that is cheap that all their friends have as well that already has 5-10 good games or so? Or the thing that just came out, is pretty expensive, and has yet to get a few quality titles?

What is more attractive from the developer's perspective? The system with an install base of 10-20 million? Or again, the system that just came out and has yet to achieve a profitable install base?

When you take all of these factors in to consideration, it's easy to see why the system power that the 720 and PS4 WILL have over the WiiU (which I feel is pretty much undeniable) doesn't really mean much. If we're not just talking about console gaming, and we're taking PC in to consideration as well, all the 720 and PS4's power will do for them is up the price.

How can you ignore Rol's arguement? 2d Marios are among the best selling games of Nintendo's library. Releasing a system should be viewed akin to MS releasing a system without Halo or Sony releasing one without Gran Turismo. I do believe other mistakes were made with the N64 and GCN led to their poor sales that not even a 2d mario would have remedied though.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -My good friend Mark Aurelius

Chandler said:
Again, it doesn't matter how soon the other companies can do what the Wii U does by then. You are telling me people are waiting for a company to provide a gimmick "soon" that another company already offers. That's not a neutral consumer standpoint, that's your typical biased fanboy consumer. Casuals are not fanboys, they go where the most exciting product IS, and not where it WILL BE SOON.

Ok, apply that thinking to tablet gaming vs wii U tablet gaming. There ARE tablets that people game on now.

By the time the Wii U is out, tablets will prbably be connecting to your TV. The latest in which this will happen is maybe about a year, even then tablets will be doing the same thing a mere few months after the Wii U launches. And again, this is assuming casuals even give a crap about connecting their tablet to their TV.

Look at motion controls, Nintendo was there first and Sony and MS adapted "soon."

No, they didn't adapt soon, they adapted almost 4 years after Nintendo introduced it to the mainstream. Tablets on the other hand will be doing what the Wii U does a few months after it launches, at latest.

homer said:
How can you ignore Rol's arguement? 2d Marios are among the best selling games of Nintendo's library. Releasing a system should be viewed akin to MS releasing a system without Halo or Sony releasing one without Gran Turismo. I do believe other mistakes were made with the N64 and GCN led to their poor sales that not even a 2d mario would have remedied though.

I didn't

Around the Network
homer said:

I didn't

Cobretti2 said:
Andrespetmonkey said:

There's a rational reason why 3rd party is lacking on the Wii, it's not because developers are fanboys, it's because either the game they're building for ps360/PC just doesn't translate well to such a weaker system with such a different control scheme, or because the publisher of said game has had bad sales on the Wii or thinks it will have bad sales. Or both. 

Developers and especially publishers don't hate money, so if there isn't a rational reason to not develop for a Ninty console, they will.

that is because they have either released crap or "test games" to test sales.

i.e. CAPCOM and their on rails RE games.

if they trully cared about suceeding on the wii they would have built games from the ground up early on when sales boomed. 4-5 years into the console like was too late.

They would have truly cared about succeding on the Wii if they truly thought they could succeed on the Wii.

I really think people need to wait at least until Tuesday to make these threads. I know I won't be making any spectacular speculations until then and then nothing I'll put down for a future I was right all along thread until the machine actual hits the market.

But, at least not until E3's release of final setup and of course the most important part... games.

However, I would say your OP is wrong. NES SNES GBs all had no gimmicks and were not cheaper yet they dominated their rivals. Its the same for Wii and DSs. Its about the games.

Wii Sports and Wii Fit were the primary drivers for Wii's casual push and thus a very large part of its sales. Combine that with Mario Kart Wii and NSMBWii and it really was all it needed. Really only Wii Sports utilized motion in this bunch.

Nintendodogs, Brain Age, and NSMB as well as a ton of other games destroyed the PSP.

Its always the mass appeal of the games... not gimmicks or price differentiation.

"Though it's likely, we aren't sure if the Wii U will be a year ahead. The PS4 could be announced at TGS with a release date of Q1/Q2 next year, there have been rumours about Sony wanting to get it out before Microsoft. And hell, even nextbox could be revealed in a couple days. But I guess it is unlikely, so that's a good point."

More likely the PS4/720 release holiday of 2013. Like...90% more likely.

Also, the Wii U is already getting more 3rd party support than the Wii ever got through ports from the PS360. If any of these games see moderate success, then 3rd parties will see the Wii U as a viable console for 3rd parties.

"Or if we see a huge push towards digital distribution, we'll see all the costs that go towards manufacturing and distributing physical copies, go towards the games budget instead, which will make up for the added costs to some extent. Also, all 3 are tyring hard to make developer-friendly consoles, which means it's easier and quicker to create games and port them, this lowers costs as developers don't need to work on games for as long."

Interesting that you mention digital distribution where that is where most of the cheaper titles go (i.e. Games that the Wii U will be able to run) With the push towards digital, no doubt we'll see a big breakthrough with smaller and medium developers. And no doubt these games won't be graphical powerhouses, at least not so much that they won't run on the Wii U.

And even with the bigger developers. Most are already concerned with rising development costs. Not manufacturing costs, but creating all the lighting, textures, and other stuff. This takes a lot of time AND money. The Wii U will be more powerful than the PS360. That means it's limit will be fairly past Uncharted 3 or Gears of War 3. That will be more than enough power for like 90% of developers.

Most aren't going to bother pushing their games so much that the Wii U won't be able to handle them. You say consoles will be more developer friendly & digital will cut down on costs, but that doesn't change the fact that the faster, cheaper, & less powerful game will be extremely more attractive than making one that's so impressive that the Wii U can't run it. Again, these would be games more impressive than Uncharted 3. Most developers simply aren't looking to be that technically impressive.

You think COD's gonna push graphics on the PS4 / 720? I doubt it. It will probably only have modest graphics, like this gen. And as such, it'll probably be able to run on the Wii U. I expect to see most developers following this route.

"That scenario considered, it still wouldn't be enough for the Wii U to come 2nd or 1st imo, unless one of the others fail. "

It would be enough to get strong 3rd party support. Which disproves half of your argument.

Still too early for theses debates. We know nearly nothing of the Wii U and absolutley bugger all of the nextbox and PS4.