Andre is

Absolutely spot on 34 10.93%

Probably right 56 18.01%

Probably wrong 122 39.23%

Absolutely crazy 99 31.83%

Total:311
RolStoppable said:
Andrespetmonkey said:

I'm looking at recent Nintendo consoles, the Gameboy was the first mainstream handheld gaming device, which replaces the gimmick selling point, and the NES was the first console to make the industry feel inspired again after the crash, again replacing the gimmick selling point. I guess you could argue that it was the games on NES that made revitalized the industry again rather than the NES itself, but first party alone won't make the Wii U as successful, todays world is very different, that's why I only included recent consoles. (starting from the 64)

It's bad enough to not take the full video game history into account (it hasn't even been 40 years since the Atari 2600 was released, so there aren't huge amounts of relevant systems to go through; it's basically three per generation on average), but it's inexcusable to ignore parts of the history of a specific company when trying to predict their future.

It's also inexcusable to say NES and Gameboy are representative of what make Nintendos platforms successful today.

Your point is that the industry has changed and first party alone won't make a console successful, but didn't the Wii just prove that there is a first party that can do just that? It wasn't third party games that led to huge Wii sales.

Agreed on that last sentence, but not the rest. It was the gimmick, bringing motion control to the mainstream,  coupled with first parties taking advantage of that gimmick that brought the Wii success, not first party alone. There is no way in hell the Wii would of sold anywhere near what it has now if it didn't have an interesting gimmick.

What speaks against Wii U success are the N64 and GC, but not in the way you outlined in the OP. If Nintendo chooses to forego making certain games, their market performance will suffer. The 3DS already showed the devastating results of such a Nintendo mindset.

The 3DS had a slow start mainly due to the low price point, as soon as it got cut it was selling more than the DS did in the same time period.

The two main pillars of the Gameboy were 2D Mario (Super Mario Land) and Tetris. In 1996, a third pillar got added with Pokémon. These are the games that the market expects from a Nintendo handheld: 2D Mario, Pokémon and something like Tetris. (Tetris wasn't owned by NIntendo and got ported to countless platforms, so its value as a system seller greatly diminished. In the DS era Brain Training was an adequate replacement for the Gameboy Tetris. This pillar is definitely the hardest one to keep intact, because it's not tied to a fictional universe that consumers want to visit again.) 

If the Gameboy had a major rival at the time there is again, no way it would be as successful. The success of the DS can also be attributed to being lower priced than the competition, and having an interesting gimmick as well it's first party library.

The 3DS didn't get any of these three pillars so far, hence why its sales are still atrocious in the Western markets despite a major price cut (Japan doesn't view handheld gaming as second rate gaming, so the 3DS is doing alright over there). The simplest way to encourage your audience to buy a next generation system is to make sequels to the most popular games. Ergo, NSMB2 and Pokémon should have been on the 3DS as soon as possible. Sounds logical, doesn't it? But we are talking about a company that took 19 years to make a new Super Mario Bros. game for a home console and with the 3DS they proved that they've learned nothing from their past oversights.

I still stand by the N64 and Gamecube being good representatives of what sales look like on Ninty platforms in this era that rely on first party alone, rather than first party + interesting gimmick + low price.

Around the Network

@ APM

Yeah, maybe soon they will be able to do that. So What? You are not buying that flying car now because soon (Whenever that may be) you will be able to buy a flying car?

Face it, the Wii Upad can do more than a 3DS and also more than an iPad AT HOME. While it isn't really portable it can still be a superior Media Hub in your home with larger storage space and flexible output (TV or Pad) for the casuals, sporting superior leetpwnge controls for teh hardcorez.

Nintendo will be fine.

Ongoing bet with think-man: He wins if MH4 releases in any shape or form on PSV in 2013, I win if it doesn't.

M.U.G.E.N said:
duckypwns said:
Nintendo is making a console. Sony and Microsoft will be making toned down PC gaming experiences once again in generation 8.

All Sony and Microsoft are really doing is making gaming more expensive, and giving their systems exclusives. You know, people get so freakin' excited when a 360 or PS3 exclusive comes out. They go on the internet and brag about how the people who don't share their brand devotion can't play that game. But all a 360 or PS3 exclusive means is that you'll have to use whatever control mechanisms Sony and Microsoft want you to, you'll have to experience the graphics that they want you to, you'll have to abide by their EULA, you can't mod games without breaking the EULA, thus, in some cases giving companies the rights to disable your system from playing games, (you may argue that they rarely do this, but who in their right mind would passively agree to that?) and you just won't have as many options as you would have had with the game had it been on PC.

Before people brag on Sony / Microsoft exclusives next generation, they need to think about what they're doing. Isn't that basically the equivalent of a bunch of toddlers crawling around in a playpen, and one of them grabs a particular toy, and starts crying and screaming, "WAHHH I WANT TO BE THE ONLY ONE THAT'S ALLOWED TO PLAY WITH THIS TOY!" so he proceeds to wipe his shit and snot all over it and then acts like everyone is supposed to be glad about it? I mean correct me if I'm wrong but that's pretty much a perfect analogy from what I can tell.

Every game would be better on PC, but the only reason I'm willing to tolerate Nintendo is because of two reasons that tie in together: I feel that at least ONE console is an inevitability, and I feel that they are the most reasonable when it comes to making a console, primarily due to the price point. I don't LIKE Nintendo's hardware at all, I'm only willing to tolerate it. Once Nintendo gets to the "599 USD" level they will be on my shitlist as well. But they KNOW that's how many people feel. That's why people like them. So they're not going to make that mistake.

lol wtf did I just read

The truth? Did I strike a nerve? People often like to feign ignorance once they realize that everything they stand for amounts to paying more for inferiority.

Just speaking colloquially, I can see it ending up third this generation.

Again this is just my experience so take it with a grain of salt. All my friends have owned Wii consoles at some point in this generation - very few own them any more (the ones that do are mostly casual players who have copies of Just Dance 3 and Wii Sports Resort). I don't think they're likely to buy a Wii-U, but I may be wrong.

People I know who like Nintendo - myself included - aren't thinking about getting a Wii-U at the moment. My best friend is a big Nintendo fan and I've recently convinced him to join me on the dark side (PS3) - he says he has no intention of getting a Wii-U any time soon.

I was HUGELY looking forward to playing Pikmin 3, and whatever 3D Mario game they come up with next - but again, it's not enough to make me buy the console. I'm happy with my PS3 for the next few years and I'll probably upgrade to PS4 once enough first-party games for that system come out.

My other friends are pretty loyal to Microsoft, and they're old Nintendo fans. About 8 or 9 of them did the exact same transition - N64 -> PS2 -> Xbox 360, and they never looked back. They won't be buying a Wii-U, they'll be getting a nextbox.

I can see Sony taking another blow next generation, but hopefully they'll keep the PS3 crowd they have now. I do know quite a few people who used to have 360's that made the jump to PS3 after their umpteenth RROD, I don't know if they'd ever go back to Microsoft. But I'm not really sure what market Nintendo are aiming to attract with the Wii-U, and as such I can see them ending up third. I'll probably be wrong, who knows.

Andrespetmonkey said:
Busted said:

Yup, and at the end you said you would like to hear our opinions and i think that is too early for me to give an opinion, what's wrong with that?

You said it was too early to make statements, I disagreed as I've made multiple predictions to address multiple scenarios. The only scenario I haven't adressed is one or both of them being total failures, others have pointed that out and it's a very good point imo. 

If you're saying you think it's too early for you to make statements than I find nothing wrong ^^

I think i've should have clarified xD

Around the Network

I don't see it, but mainly because we know little about the WiiU and the other 2 consoles (IF they'll be 2 competing consoles) haven't even been announced yet. All we know the PS4 may run 8-Bit and cost £10, and the 720 may run UE12 and DX13 but cost £3,000, and have 17 analogue sticks.

In which case, the WiiU will come first.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Also, the Wii U will be launch a year before the other consoles. If within that time period, 3rd party developers find success, they'll likely stick with the Wii U just to be safe. The Wii U is already having a pretty good start by having several PS360 games being ported to it. If those games sell well, then 3rd parties will see it as a viable console.

Another factor to consider is will developers be willing to use consoles to their full potential next gen? You say that if the Wii U is cheap, then 3rd parties will ignore due to being too weak compared to the PS4 & 720. However, I don't see developers trying to push graphics much, aside from the big studions.

This gen, we've already seen plenty of studios shutting down due to the skyrocketing costs of making games technically impressive. Next gen may very well be the first gen where developers choose to not use the full potential of their consoles. I think only the largest studios will bother pushing the PS4/720 to their limit. I could see a generation where 3rd parties decide to make games 'cheap' enough that they'll be able to function across all three consoles.

I even think that the consoles this gen are too powerful that developers shouldn't bother trying max out. It really isn't worth the development costs. If you're a big company like Epic or Naughty Dog, then sure, push the cosnsoles. But I think the average developer should just focus on making a game look clean & not ugly. No need to max the consoles. And the consumers won't mind the non-top-notch graphics. Look at CoD for example. I wouldn't be surprised if next gen, the majority of developers only bother to make a modest bump in graphics that the Wii U will be able to handle them.

Chandler said:
@ APM

Yeah, maybe soon they will be able to do that. So What? You are not buying that flying car now because soon (Whenever that may be) you will be able to buy a flying car?

Flying cars aren't right around the corner, tablets that communicate with your TV are, the latest till we get that is like early next year. And this is assuming tablet gaming on your tv is a big incentive. Tablet gaming on your tablet seems to be more than enough for casuals, especially if it means taing that tablet anywhere they want.

Face it, the Wii Upad can do more than a 3DS and also more than an iPad AT HOME.

More than the 3DS? Sure... don't see how that's relevant, more than the iPad? Aside from physical controls, which casuals don't care about, than no.

While it isn't really portable it can still be a superior Media Hub in your home with larger storage space and flexible output (TV or Pad) for the casuals.

Being a media hub isn't really going to make much of an impact seeing as Microsony's systems will probably do it better. I doubt casuals care too much about tablet to TV, and even if they do, tablets will be doing that within the next year

sporting superior leetpwnge controls for teh hardcorez. Again, hardcores aren't what made the Wii sell as almost 100m.

Nintendo will be fine. I agree

Jay520 said:
Also, the Wii U will be launch a year before the other consoles. If within that time period, 3rd party developers find success, they'll likely stick with the Wii U just to be safe.

Though it's likely, we aren't sure if the Wii U will be a year ahead. The PS4 could be announced at TGS with a release date of Q1/Q2 next year, there have been rumours about Sony wanting to get it out before Microsoft. And hell, even nextbox could be revealed in a couple days. But I guess it is unlikely, so that's a good point.

Another factor to consider is will developers be willing to use consoles to their full potential next gen? This gen, we've already seen plenty of studios shutting down due to the skyrocketing costs of making games technically impressive. Next gen may very well be the first gen where developers choose to not use the full potential of their consoles. I think only the largest studios will bother pushing the PS4/720 to their limit. I could see a generation where 3rd parties decide to make games 'cheap' enough that they'll be able to function across all three consoles.

Or if we see a huge push towards digital distribution, we'll see all the costs that go towards manufacturing and distributing physical copies, go towards the games budget instead, which will make up for the added costs to some extent. Also, all 3 are tyring hard to make developer-friendly consoles, which means it's easier and quicker to create games and port them, this lowers costs as developers don't need to work on games for as long.

I even think that the consoles this gen are too powerful that developers shouldn't bother trying max out. It really isn't worth the development costs. If you're a big company like Epic or Naughty Dog, then sure, push the cosnsoles. But I think the average developer should just focus on making a game look clean & not ugly. No need to max the consoles. And the consumers won't mind the non-top-notch graphics. Look at CoD for example. I wouldn't be surprised if next gen, the majority of developers only bother to make a modest bump in graphics that the Wii U will be able to handle them.

That scenario considered, it still wouldn't be enough for the Wii U to come 2nd or 1st imo, unless one of the others fail. 

Again, it doesn't matter how soon the other companies can do what the Wii U does by then. You are telling me people are waiting for a company to provide a gimmick "soon" that another company already offers. That's not a neutral consumer standpoint, that's your typical biased fanboy consumer. Casuals are not fanboys, they go where the most exciting product IS, and not where it WILL BE SOON.

Look at motion controls, Nintendo was there first and Sony and MS adapted "soon". Meanwhile Nintendo printed money and left their fingerprints all over this generation.

Ongoing bet with think-man: He wins if MH4 releases in any shape or form on PSV in 2013, I win if it doesn't.