By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Rumor: OXM: Xbox 720 Launching in 2014 with Halo 2 Anniversary

This actually makes a lot of sense. After the latest news on how Sony's stock has plummeted, MS is confident Sony won't launch a new console til 2015. Sony launching PS4 in 2013, which will suck money out of the company, would just kill the company further in debt.

Around the Network

I support the idea of 2014 though 2013 is the first year i felt it could come out way back in 07/08 i always felt from a financial stand point 2014 works better in the long run and if they could prop the 360 up a bit longer though i doubt it would happen 2015 would be a great marketing stunt could advertise a ten year system. though i suppose they could still do that by keeping it on the market during the 720s first year or so.

to keep the 360 on the market another year or more need another redesign and a price cut

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

I find this rumor dubious, because the preponderance of evidence is to the contrary. Specifically the evidence that revolves around the synch in the development cycle. The farther out the launch the more that doesn't add up in the least. At the earliest the end of this year would work out, and the latest the end of next year. Beyond that you begin to find software development at cross purposes. You have things like studios developing sequels to games they have not launched, and studios with two or even three unreleased titles.

Were this rumor to be true you would see two things. More first party games coming out of Microsoft, because those could be released now, and there would still be plenty of time for a new game to be made for the new platform when it launches. Fewer studios being developed in synch theory. These newer studios are the ones that ought to be developing for even numbered years. I just don't see Microsoft stockpiling that much wealth by going through a terribly long middling spell. Ironically right now they could probably launch this year, and survive off of what they have probably stockpiled so far.

Bottom line is this Microsoft has at least a dozen undisclosed projects in the pipe, and it is really hard to see them existing to fill out the 360. These games are being built with a new platform in mind. Not only are these projects undisclosed, but Microsoft is hiring at a fever pitch. They are revving up rather then throttling down. Microsoft is making a awful lot of noise in gaming for a console two plus years from launch.

Still reckon late 2013 - but they probably could (just) wait until 2014 assuming the Wii U doesn't take off hugely.

Still seems a little late to market though. I guess they might have info that PS4 won't hit until 2014 either and feel no need to rush.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

You know what? After seeing the rumoured specs for the next systems and the story about Epic, maybe releasing in 2014 isn't a bad thing, it'll mean better hardware. Probably won't change the CPU or RAM much, but I can imagine a years difference will mean they'll have a better GPU.

Around the Network
superchunk said:
This is sooooo not gonna happen.

Holidays 2013 is the latest it will launch.

This a million times over. Both MS and Sony would have to be INSANE to allow Nintendo over a year on the market as the only next-gen console. Especially when it seems likely that Nintendo are targeting a price of $300-350 and given over a year could possibly even aim to do a price drop before the 720/PS4 launched.

We know the Wii U is launching later this year. At absolute latest Sony and MS should be aiming for holidays 2013. We saw what an advantage the 360 having a year's headstart gave it and that was suffering with the RRoD problem.

Turkish says and I'm allowed to quote that: Uncharted 3 and God Of War 3 look better than Unreal Engine 4 games will or the tech demo does. Also the Naughty Dog PS3 ENGINE PLAYS better than the UE4 ENGINE.

Its kinda funny how everybody thinks that the next gen of consoles will be released soon. I think 2014 is very likely. I know we hear every day these non-sense rumors. But nothing has been confirmed yet, no pics no specs nothing. Just rumors about upcoming titles blah blah blah...
The sales are down thats true, but this time of the year was always weak for gaming. The sales will increase later this year (fall, winter). I bet we wont see any new consoles until 2014 except the Wii U but this has been revealed last on e3 and still has no release date.

This is terrible if true.

First of all, if it is lauching in 2014, i would expect a proper Halo game for the launch (such as Halo 5, or 6 if they make it an annual thing.), and if they release it with a reboot of an, in my opinion, mediocre game it would be suicide.

Secondly, 2014 is way too late. What microsoft should be targeting is a Sept 2013 release date to get a headstart on Sony, and if they are seriously planning to release in 2014 with a shitty remake then Steven Ballmer really is the worst CEO in America.

Im still hoping for a 2012 release date for the nextbox though... Nextbox + Halo 4 = Awesome

@AndrewWK

There is an old saying. Where there is smoke there is fire. The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. Not seeing the smoking gun doesn't mean there isn't evidence. Just that the evidence is supporting in nature. Just as you do not need to see the fire itself to know that one is burning. Like I said the actions at Microsoft point to a console coming sooner rather then later. They may not say that, but they sure as hell are acting like something is coming, and coming fast.

Don't be silly. It's either launching in 2013 or even possibly this year during the holiday season. E3 will clarify.