By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is it game over for Nintendo?

Atari, Sega have fallen: Nintendo next?

yes 94 16.12%

no 441 75.64%

life goes on 46 7.89%

Total:581
Mnementh said:
runqvist said:
Mnementh said:
runqvist said:
Yes it does, taking away some sales from those companies which make the games I like. Also their innovations make games worse for me, not better. For example the wiimote did not bring anything to the table for me, it just made industry go after those "casual gamers".

You are obviously wrong.

Do you really think Nintendo-fans and soccer-moms/grandpas would have bought X360/PS3 without the Wii? That's laughable.

Now where did I say that? Please point to the part of my post which makes you think that I said anything like that.

"Yes it does, taking away some sales from those companies which make the games I like."

So when I talk about games, you assume that I am actually talking about consoles. I see. Maybe I'll adapt that logic, in case this conversation goes any further.

Around the Network
runqvist said:
Mnementh said:
runqvist said:
Mnementh said:
runqvist said:
Yes it does, taking away some sales from those companies which make the games I like. Also their innovations make games worse for me, not better. For example the wiimote did not bring anything to the table for me, it just made industry go after those "casual gamers".

You are obviously wrong.

Do you really think Nintendo-fans and soccer-moms/grandpas would have bought X360/PS3 without the Wii? That's laughable.

Now where did I say that? Please point to the part of my post which makes you think that I said anything like that.

"Yes it does, taking away some sales from those companies which make the games I like."

So when I talk about games, you assume that I am actually talking about consoles. I see. Maybe I'll adapt that logic, in case this conversation goes any further.

Soccer moms and grandpas and the hardcore-nintendo-fans never would have bought games you like from other companies. People who generally do this, did it besides the games they bought from Nintendo. Why should they stop buying games from other companies, if they buy from NIntendo? But consoles obviously play a role in it, as Nintendo games are only available on Nintendo-consoles. And again, while the soccer-moms/grandpas and hardcore-nintendo-fans probably only have a Nintendo-console, the people who in the market the other companies cater too have also a PC or a console from competition to play on. So no lost sales for other companies. It is the other way: EA (EA Sports Active), Ubisoft (Just Dance), Take Two (Carnival Games) made a lot of money with people that never would have bought the games you like, the titles I mentioned sold multiple million copies each. So the style NIntendo offered brought money to publishers to finance other games with. Without Just Dance Ubisoft probably would not have so much money to invest into Watchdogs.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Nintendo is fine and wont be leaving the console business in the near future. I've said this in another thread ages ago that I believe the PS4 will be Sony's last console.

Mnementh said:
runqvist said:
Mnementh said:
runqvist said:
Mnementh said:
runqvist said:

You are obviously wrong.

Soccer moms and grandpas and the hardcore-nintendo-fans never would have bought games you like from other companies. People who generally do this, did it besides the games they bought from Nintendo. Why should they stop buying games from other companies, if they buy from NIntendo? But consoles obviously play a role in it, as Nintendo games are only available on Nintendo-consoles. And again, while the soccer-moms/grandpas and hardcore-nintendo-fans probably only have a Nintendo-console, the people who in the market the other companies cater too have also a PC or a console from competition to play on. So no lost sales for other companies. It is the other way: EA (EA Sports Active), Ubisoft (Just Dance), Take Two (Carnival Games) made a lot of money with people that never would have bought the games you like, the titles I mentioned sold multiple million copies each. So the style NIntendo offered brought money to publishers to finance other games with. Without Just Dance Ubisoft probably would not have so much money to invest into Watchdogs.

So, is that all the people who bought the wii? No-one else? I think that is a pretty rude thing to say about Wii.

Are you aware that money does not grow on trees? It is a limited resource, every single sale affects sales of other competing(entertainment) products. If a soccer mom, like you used as an example, boughts a wii fit, she might not afford to get her kids the game they wanted. If a gamer spends 200€ for Wii, that is money away from buying games. If he gets mario, that is 60€ away from buying the games I would like to sell. Do you get the point or do I have to go on?*

*rhetorical

It's not gameover, but nintendo is in a bad place. The nintendo brand at this point is associated with Toys-R-Us more than it is with actual gaming. Hardcore fans left years ago for Playstation/Xbox, casual gamers don't seem to be very interested at this point, gaming websites use "nintendo" as a punchline for their jokes, and Sony and MS are just better suited to compete in the ever changing industry, post smartphone revolution.

I think after this upcoming next-gen, probably towards the end of the next-gen, developers will be very "eager" to jump ship and drop support for nintendo completely IF the sales are struggling against PS4/720. It's getting to the point of no return, you can almost see a nintendo future where the console is only purchased for one or two nintendo exclusives and nothing else. (That's somewhat the case as of now)

Nintendo's strategy has crippled them as a competitor. Remember how nintendo years ago began saying nonsense like "We dont compete directly, we do our own thing." That would be Nintendo's reality now, don't expect anything else. If you think ANY nintendo exclusive is going to save the wiiu....get real. (It's the Marketplace that's changed)

Around the Network
WindyCityHeat said:
It's not gameover, but nintendo is in a bad place. The nintendo brand at this point is associated with Toys-R-Us more than it is with actual gaming. Hardcore fans left years ago for Playstation/Xbox, casual gamers don't seem to be very interested at this point, gaming websites use "nintendo" as a punchline for their jokes, and Sony and MS are just better suited to compete in the ever changing industry, post smartphone revolution.

I think after this upcoming next-gen, probably towards the end of the next-gen, developers will be very "eager" to jump ship and drop support for nintendo completely IF the sales are struggling against PS4/720. It's getting to the point of no return, you can almost see a nintendo future where the console is only purchased for one or two nintendo exclusives and nothing else. (That's somewhat the case as of now)

Nintendo's strategy has crippled them as a competitor. Remember how nintendo years ago began saying nonsense like "We dont compete directly, we do our own thing." That would be Nintendo's reality now, don't expect anything else. If you think ANY nintendo exclusive is going to save the wiiu....get real. (It's the Marketplace that's changed)

I don't know about first paragraph, since I am not american.

For second paragraph, I agree. When best selling third party game which also happen to be heavily bundled does only 330k within holiday period, there will be little incentive to develop those exclusives for Wii U. When it comes to multiplats, all you need is to compare CoD on PS3/360 to Wii U. Wii U version has sold 150k, which is literally nothing compared to other versions. Not encouraging at all.

If the gap on power is high enough, Wii U will be skipped just like Wii was when PS4/nextbox come.

runqvist said:
Mnementh said:

So, is that all the people who bought the wii? No-one else? I think that is a pretty rude thing to say about Wii.

Are you aware that money does not grow on trees? It is a limited resource, every single sale affects sales of other competing(entertainment) products. If a soccer mom, like you used as an example, boughts a wii fit, she might not afford to get her kids the game they wanted. If a gamer spends 200€ for Wii, that is money away from buying games. If he gets mario, that is 60€ away from buying the games I would like to sell. Do you get the point or do I have to go on?*

*rhetorical

As you don't seem to read, I bolded the parts that are not only about soccer-moms.

I agree that money is limited. But the gaming budget also goes into movies, music and stuff like that. If they have money over from games,  they buy that. Additionally, people who are buying less casual-games do so too from Nintendo. And my argument stands, that with the money from people who never would have bought classical games finance new game IPs.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:
runqvist said:

*rhetorical

As you don't seem to read, I bolded the parts that are not only about soccer-moms.

I agree that money is limited. But the gaming budget also goes into movies, music and stuff like that. If they have money over from games,  they buy that. Additionally, people who are buying less casual-games do so too from Nintendo. And my argument stands, that with the money from people who never would have bought classical games finance new game IPs.

You haven't showed a shred of evidence to support your claims. A dollar spent on nintendo or "casual" game, is a dollar which can't be spent on the games I prefer. That is a fact and your assumptions do not dispute it.

runqvist said:
WindyCityHeat said:

For second paragraph, I agree. When best selling third party game which also happen to be heavily bundled does only 330k within holiday period, there will be little incentive to develop those exclusives for Wii U. When it comes to multiplats, all you need is to compare CoD on PS3/360 to Wii U. Wii U version has sold 150k, which is literally nothing compared to other versions. Not encouraging at all.

If the gap on power is high enough, Wii U will be skipped just like Wii was when PS4/nextbox come.

First paragraph is true btw, you should see the toy-r-us adds talking about stuffed hippos, fischer price toy phones and nintendo wii.

Thank you for quoting the COD numbers. It all comes down to a few basics facts when you look at the numbers. MADDEN and Call of Duty are the largest multiplat franchises on the market, GTAV not even being available on wiiu. These multiplats sell millions upon millions on PS3/360, and now manage to sell 150k on wiiu? That's it, they're done...they're just done. You can't succeed without 3rd party willingness to support your consoles.

Nintendo is not delusional, they may not understand the business anymore, but they are not delusional. They know mario and zelda won't do anything if they can't sell a game like COD or MADDEN on their system. It's just the bitter reality of their situation. You can quote mario sales all you want, developers DONT CARE. They DON'T care. Change your perception of the situation and maybe get your "favorite" or "favourite" company to change the way they operate. Don't sit around and pretend everything is going well. It's not.

WindyCityHeat said:
runqvist said:
WindyCityHeat said:

First paragraph is true btw, you should see the toy-r-us adds talking about stuffed hippos, fischer price toy phones and nintendo wii.

Thank you for quoting the COD numbers. It all comes down to a few basics facts when you look at the numbers. MADDEN and Call of Duty are the largest multiplat franchises on the market, GTAV not even being available on wiiu. These multiplats sell millions upon millions on PS3/360, and now manage to sell 150k on wiiu? That's it, they're done...they're just done. You can't succeed without 3rd party willingness to support your consoles.

Nintendo is not delusional, they may not understand the business anymore, but they are not delusional. They know mario and zelda won't do anything if they can't sell a game like COD or MADDEN on their system. It's just the bitter reality of their situation. You can quote mario sales all you want, developers DONT CARE. They DON'T care. Change your perception of the situation and maybe get your "favorite" or "favourite" company to change the way they operate. Don't sit around and pretend everything is going well. It's not.

To be fair, they did manage to sell a lot of consoles once without 3rd party support. But from what I remember, a lot of people were expecting a sudden turn on 3rd party support for quite a while. Wii had a good selling point with their wiimote, a lot of people had big expectations for the thing. If they are happy with what it actually delivered, it might do some good for Wii U. If not, there is a high chance that those people are not trusting nintendo(and these people don't blame the third parties, they blame the manufacturer) to deliver this time either.