By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - David Cage: “I don’t like game mechanics” and “you don’t need a gun to be successful”

THEN PLAY SOME VISUAL NOVELS AND SHUT THE HELL UP

RAAAAAAAGH DAVID CAGE WHY DO YOU KEEP OPENING YOUR MOUTH, WORDS KEEP FALLING OUT OF IT AND INTO MY EYES

Around the Network

I sometimes have the impression that some video games developers secretly wish they were movie directors instead.

Signature goes here!

I agree, too many games rely on muscle bound soldier types armed to the teeth with misogyny and machoism, once in a while I like my games to be weapons free.

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

Ajescent said:
I agree, too many games rely on muscle bound soldier types armed to the teeth with misogyny and machoism, once in a while I like my games to be weapons free.

That isn't what he's saying, he says game mechanics in general get in the way of storytelling, he's just using shooter gameplay as an example.

Khuutra said:
Ajescent said:

That isn't what he's saying, he says game mechanics in general get in the way of storytelling, he's just using shooter gameplay as an example.

Guess this industry should change from Video GAME industry to Video Interactive industry. Actually why not take next step further change the industry to the movie industry! :P 

(Just noticed the article already made my joke....)

Around the Network

I bet his mommy didnt want him to do something "artsy" like making movies and forced him into "something with computers"

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

TruckOSaurus said:
I sometimes have the impression that some video games developers secretly wish they were movie directors instead.

That kind of begs the question of why don't they just become film directors.  You don't even need to go to film school to do it either.  Some of the most influential directors in history never stepped foot in a film school.  

Fun fact: Ken Levine's first career choice was screenwriter.

Violence for the point of violence is never good and a good story is always good in a game but it does need action so instead of a gun hows about you give me a chainsaw?

Wait... does this mean im not human?

PSN addy - mrx95

A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination. - Nelson Mandela

A radical is a man with his feet planted firmly in the air. - Franklin.D.Roosevelt

I agree.

Eg. The successful Journey.

If by this he means we should have more games like Heavy Rain, then I agree.

I am fine with titles that play out in that style instead of all of my titles being focused on things like gunplay or melee. I actually have a couple of guys at work who don't really game much at all but they absolutely loved Heavy Rain, stating that it was one of the best games they have ever played. Before that they used to play the CSI and NCIS games. These same guys got bored with LA Noire after a while too saying they like the interrogating and some of the chase down sequences, but don't care for all the driving, shooting, etc... They just want to focus on solving the crimes and that is it.

So yeah, while some here may disagree with what he saying, I absolutely agree. There is room for all types of experiences. No need to tie us down to specific styles of gaming.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!