By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - David Cage: “I don’t like game mechanics” and “you don’t need a gun to be successful”

Euphoria14 said:

So yes Cage, keep doing what you do because I am one in this thread who wants more of the experiences you want to create. Ignore the haters. If they don't like your type of games, then let them play the games they do like because we all know there is an abundance of those.  

Yeah, it's called shovelware. So much of it this gen.

Around the Network

David Cage is the extreme opposite to David Jaffe,. I'm a Jaffe guy.

Slimebeast said:

David Cage is the extreme opposite to David Jaffe,. I'm a Jaffe guy.

David Jaffe: "I don't give a shit about game mechanics and you know what else? You don't need a fucking gun just to be successful".

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Here is one area in which Sony is leaps and bounds ahead of Nintendo.

Some companies have taken the no-gun direction too far, and haven't found a decent middle-ground. I found that Skyward Sword, despite its flaws, got very close to emotion, story and score to where I expect Nintendo to move closer to.

These kinds of games are important for the variety of a platform, even if they don't sell so much (Heavy Rain sold 2.09M, much less than the bigger IPs), these are the kinds of offerings that keep the industry alive. The industry can't survive forever on just fun, fun, fun, otherwise we would be watching Mary Popins 5 at the movies this year.

The movie industry is like the games industry, only with 90-some years of experience. If movies are being produced with constantly new IPs with varying themes and deep, captivating story and theme, the same is an eventuality for video games. Look at what games caused in the movie industry? We have seen so many remakes in the past few years, leading to a flooding of poor content in Hollywood. The reverse influence needs to happen, where an infusion of Hollywood's top quality vision can be some day found in games.

Even if they are just games, and have a layer of interactivity, it doesn't mean they aren't to be as deep and as compelling as an excellent movie or drama. That is the future of video games, when they can take their full form that way and become the mature segment of media they are meant to be.

Khuutra said:
Ajescent said:
I agree, too many games rely on muscle bound soldier types armed to the teeth with misogyny and machoism, once in a while I like my games to be weapons free.

That isn't what he's saying, he says game mechanics in general get in the way of storytelling, he's just using shooter gameplay as an example.

Which is essentially saying that a game is getting in the way of making his game an animated movie.

Around the Network
Euphoria14 said:

If by this he means we should have more games like Heavy Rain, then I agree.

I am fine with titles that play out in that style instead of all of my titles being focused on things like gunplay or melee. I actually have a couple of guys at work who don't really game much at all but they absolutely loved Heavy Rain, stating that it was one of the best games they have ever played. Before that they used to play the CSI and NCIS games. These same guys got bored with LA Noire after a while too saying they like the interrogating and some of the chase down sequences, but don't care for all the driving, shooting, etc... They just want to focus on solving the crimes and that is it.

So yeah, while some here may disagree with what he saying, I absolutely agree. There is room for all types of experiences. No need to tie us down to specific styles of gaming.

down to specific styles of gaming... not...

but I think you'd want to limit gaming to well... games.

Something like Heavy Rain fits "interactive movie" far more then "Video game".

Like how a "Choose your own adventure book" isn't ever described as a board game or game... it's an interactive novel.

Kasz216 said:
Khuutra said:
Ajescent said:
I agree, too many games rely on muscle bound soldier types armed to the teeth with misogyny and machoism, once in a while I like my games to be weapons free.

That isn't what he's saying, he says game mechanics in general get in the way of storytelling, he's just using shooter gameplay as an example.

Which is essentially saying that a game is getting in the way of making his game an animated movie.

That's not at all what he was intending to say. If you read his interview too literally, you will read that he does not like game mechanics, but if you read between the lines, you'll see that he's actually trying to say that he doesn't like traditional game mechanics, in that it's a set action scheme from the get-go. He'd like to see more variety, more context-driven actions (maybe like Conker for instance?)

happydolphin said:
Kasz216 said:
Khuutra said:
Ajescent said:

That's not at all what he was intending to say. If you read his interview too literally, you will read that he does not like game mechanics, but if you read between the lines, you'll see that he's actually trying to say that he doesn't like traditional game mechanics, in that it's a set action scheme from the get-go. He'd like to see more variety, more context-driven actions (maybe like Conker for instance?)

Conker?  Not sure what you mean.

Though I know what he means.  He wants games to be Visual novels.

Visual novels aren't really games.  They're interactive movies... because they hold far more in common with movies then games.

Also, there are a decent number of them.  They're just mostly PC only and never leave Japan.

Kasz216 said:
happydolphin said:
Kasz216 said:
Khuutra said:
Ajescent said:

Conker?  Not sure what you mean.

Though I know what he means.  He wants games to be Visual novels.

Visual novels aren't really games.  They're interactive movies... because they hold far more in common with movies then games.

Also, there are a decent number of them.  They're just mostly PC only and never leave Japan.

No, that's not it! Think of it more, broaden your spectrum. He's thinking of using your environment much more to perform actions, use the surrounding objects to your purposes.

Maybe conquer was a bad example, but I am short of ideas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3q3dmPcPEJk

Here's a scene where conquer drinks beer, and when has been loaded enough, he can piss on dancing boulders to move them. These actions are limited only to this segment of the game and are never reused. He may be referring to something like this.

Now I've never played shenmue, but something tells me he's asking for something like Shemue.

RolStoppable said:

What makes you say that? Oh wait, your fundamental thought is that movies and video games are equal. So the closer video games get to what makes movies great, the better video games will get.

But back to the fun, fun, fun part. Didn't you learn anything from the seventh generation? An era when Sony and Microsoft were pushing for more grown-up gaming while Nintendo just tried to sell fun video games. What was the reaction of the market? Sony and Microsoft had to blow billions just to stay relevant while Nintendo made Uncle Scrooge envious. Who got the positive mainstream media attention? Was it Sony and Microsoft or was it Nintendo? The Wii was the console that was played by adults while the Xbox 360 and PS3 continued to carry the image of a box full of games for teenagers. Of course, the gaming media painted a different picture. But then again, the gaming media is one of the reasons why video games aren't taken seriously.

In the movie sectory, what's bolded would be like your equivalent of Xmen: The Last stand in the movie industry, while games like The Last of Us would be the closest you can get to a flic like No Country for Old Men. It's important to see the difference as we get closer to the heart of this debate.

Of course there is a place for fun, but that's just it, its place. Ultimately, the games industry needs to come to a place where it becomes the mature platform for entertainment it was meant to be, and reach the needs of people in general, which is for one to tap into the emotions of well-built fictional characters so as to find more meaning for their own lives. Interactivity is just a component of gaming.

The fact that the Wii was Uncle Scrooge this gen only went to prove three things ultimately: 1) That fun has an important place in the industry, 2) that many demographics were not adequately reached, and 3) that Sony, MS and many 3rd parties overshot in both HW and SW offerings, and so they lost money. A good story need not good graphics, as a book will prove. Mind you, graphics do help, and what is actually displayed should be of high visual quality, even if in 2D.