By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - David Cage: “I don’t like game mechanics” and “you don’t need a gun to be successful”

Some people seriously didnt watch the GT Interview with Cage, eh?

he said he does not like game mechanics if it means he does the same over and over again just on different stages, dungeons or levels.

I dont think there is anything wrong with that, while i love my Battle System in my 40++ Hour RPGs, i wouldnt mind a Game where the kind of gameplay changes every couple of minutes.

I'm a Foreigner, and as such, i am grateful for everyone pointing out any mistakes in my english posted above - only this way i'll be able to improve. thank you!

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
happydolphin said:
RolStoppable said:

Not going to happen. Given the graphics needed, as well as professional voice actors or rather actors on the whole, these games will be among the most expensive ones to make.

If it's possible for movies, I don't see why it isn't possible for games. Unless there is something intrinsic to games that would limit the vision.

What is possible for movies? That a ticket for them costs about $10, regardless of their production costs?

I think you misunderstood my "not going to happen". That was in response to these games being priced significantly lower.

Yup, that's what I was talking about, that such games cost considerably lower, aka $10-ish.

Crystalchild said:

he said he does not like game mechanics if it means he does the same over and over again just on different stages, dungeons or levels.

I dont think there is anything wrong with that, while i love my Battle System in my 40++ Hour RPGs, i wouldnt mind a Game where the kind of gameplay changes every couple of minutes.

Yes, people need to watch the interview.

He may not be 100% in the best direction (for example, what does drinking coffee, in general, affect your environment in any way, ... unless it does in a specific scenario?). But in general his thoughts are good and very interesting.

http://www.gametrailers.com/episode/bonusround/603?ch=1

RolStoppable said:
happydolphin said:
RolStoppable said:

What is possible for movies? That a ticket for them costs about $10, regardless of their production costs?

I think you misunderstood my "not going to happen". That was in response to these games being priced significantly lower.

Yup, that's what I was talking about, that such games cost considerably lower, aka $10-ish.

It's not possible though. The reason being that the market for movies is significantly bigger than the one for video games. Especially when it comes to video games that want to be like movies.

It's a good point, but the market for such kind of entertainment is still teeming with untapped potential. Could Quantic Dream create a market that could sustain such a pricing model (they talk a bit about it at the end of the interview)?

I'll agree that a cinematic adventure may not be the perfect solution, it is only one possible solution. But a game with free 3rd person context-driven action within the thread of a movie could slowly appeal to a bigger and bigger market, as people seem to prefer shorter yet richer experiences. They discuss the episode model at the end of the interview, which would be similar to what you would have in a TV series. The market could be there, but one thing is certain is that a company like Quantic Dream is actively pursuing that direction.

Heavy Rain is one of the worst games since the dawn of time (nope, not a hyperbole), but I do agree with him that shooting being the standard mechanic of videogames is really limiting gameplay potential of many videogames. I'd like more games to omit shooting and focus on other problem solving mechanics.

Around the Network
pezus said:
happydolphin said:
Now I think if games do move in this direction and lose replay value, they should be priced significantly lower.

Not if Cage continues to make games with multiple choices and outcomes. Heavy Rain has a lot more replay value than most action games on the HD consoles.

Good point. But he mentioned in the interview that multple outcomes are only a design choice, and will not be a requirement for his teams. Emotion and depth will be.

He also touched on following an episode model, so that would probably be his main mechanism for replayability or longevity if you will.

kowenicki said:
Ajescent said:
kowenicki said:
disolitude said:
That's all great and well said, but I'd rather bounce a ball against the wall than play Heavy Rain again.

so you do want to play it again then.... ?

I'm confused.

I think it might be a reference to Heavy Rain because that's something you actually do in the game

I know... I played it.

Thats why i said what i said...

Oh fail, I understand your comment now, I was confused by it because I remember you saying you played it.

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

Crystalchild said:

This idea is good in theory but it would have to involve the gamplay quality staying consistantly good across all gameplay changes. In reality, what we'd end up with would be an unfocused product where certain sections work very well while others are really tedious and lacking.

Signature goes here!

I think technology needs to get better if we want to truly see what story-driven games have to offer. Current available hardware is too limiting for something ambitious like that.

I like how everyone is raging as if their only two options are cutscene-only games or the other extreme.

Having developers like these in the industry is a great thing, they will push the method of storytelling forward industry-wide by raising standards and producing new useful tech (like the Kara demo).