By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - David Cage: “I don’t like game mechanics” and “you don’t need a gun to be successful”

So why doesn't he just make movies? One huge problem with his idea is having context sensitive actions will make his game as linear as can be because you can only do certain actions in a certain context so there will be no room for any other way to play the game if everyone is gong to play the game the exact same way just make a movie. The beauty of games is having core mechanics because it allows different players to have different play styles and it allows a gradual evolution of the mechanics, which is the while pint of playing a game

Everyday I'm hustlin'.

Wii and DS owner.

Around the Network

But Heavy Rain had guns in it.

DKHustlin said:
So why doesn't he just make movies? One huge problem with his idea is having context sensitive actions will make his game as linear as can be because you can only do certain actions in a certain context so there will be no room for any other way to play the game if everyone is gong to play the game the exact same way just make a movie. The beauty of games is having core mechanics because it allows different players to have different play styles and it allows a gradual evolution of the mechanics, which is the while pint of playing a game

You know that some of gaming's biggest classics (MegaMan, Castlevania, Ninja Gaiden, SMB) are fully linear, right?

Cirio said:
But Heavy Rain had guns in it.

You know what he meant, and if you don't, try to. Heavy Rain was released in 2010. He said "it doesn't mean anything to me anymore". Since then, he's reached a point of saturation (that applies to his persception of L.A.Noire). For the rest, he clearly says that guns, within a context, is okay. But just putting in guns for the hell of it isn't something he's fond of.

Lol linear in the sense they go from left to right but not in play style at all Mario and mega man can be played speed run style careful find secrets don't find them abuse mechanics set challenges for yourself go for high score abd all because the core mechanics are not context sensitive abd there is no story so you're making your own, which is the exact opposite of what cage is saying

Everyday I'm hustlin'.

Wii and DS owner.

Around the Network
happydolphin said:
DKHustlin said:

You know that some of gaming's biggest classics (MegaMan, Castlevania, Ninja Gaiden, SMB) are fully linear, right?

While they are linear in the sense that there's only one way you can go, you're less limited in the ways you can tackle a certain stage. I think Mega Man is not a very good exemple for linearity since you can choose the order in which you beat the bosses which in turn opens up many variations on how you handle the following stages.

If you take a look at Castlevania which doesn't allow level selection, there's always the variation of how you handle the enemies, obstacles, which sub weapon you choose to carry, when you choose to use it. All of this explains why these games could be replayed many times over even though you always went from point A to point B.

Signature goes here!

Also in mega man you choose what bosses you want to fight and in castlevania us more metroid now so they are non linear in both contexts

Everyday I'm hustlin'.

Wii and DS owner.

DKHustlin said:
Lol linear in the sense they go from left to right but not in play style at all Mario and mega man can be played speed run style careful find secrets don't find them abuse mechanics set challenges for yourself go for high score abd all because the core mechanics are not context sensitive abd there is no story so you're making your own, which is the exact opposite of what cage is saying

Not really. What you're saying should be applicable within a storyline thread. He's not negating that at all really, if you listen to his interview he says he just like things to be more organic and go with the story and flow of the game, mechanics and actions included. Heavy Rain is just one example, but as far as the interview goes, he's not limiting the design to cinematic adventures. He's only advocating for more solid emotion, actions and depth.

TruckOSaurus said:

While they are linear in the sense that there's only one way you can go, you're less limited in the ways you can tackle a certain stage. I think Mega Man is not a very good exemple for linearity since you can choose the order in which you beat the bosses which in turn opens up many variations on how you handle the following stages.

If you take a look at Castlevania which doesn't allow level selection, there's always the variation of how you handle the enemies, obstacles, which sub weapon you choose to carry, when you choose to use it. All of this explains why these games could be replayed many times over even though you always went from point A to point B.

Okay, Ninja Gaiden is one of my favorite classic NES games, and it's totally linear, despite some flexibility in going backwards a tad so as to retake your forward run, but that's it.

But if the mechanics change with the sort it does not allow for different play styles because those mechanics will not be available in all parts of tge game abd the inclusion abd focus on story ensures everyone will have done the same actions in the same manner because they will be the only ones available at that time in the game

Everyday I'm hustlin'.

Wii and DS owner.