By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Did the Xbox 360 indirectly damage the Final Fantasy brand?

Tagged games:

yanamaster said:
I can't help doing a face palm while reading some of these posts.

Just what kind of content was cut out from ff13? One would have to be out of his mind to suggest that the cut material was of any significance to the final product. By the time the multi plat was announced the game was nearing completion.

The one and most important thing that is currently wrong with the final fantasy brand is that the games made this gen are not final fantasy material.

Lame characters, incredibly bad voice acting, linearity (in a god damn rpg game, of all games !), no real story telling (when was the last time that you had to find out all the important story plots from a frigging datalog??), a lack of a good story and of course the fact that you could basically play the game on auto pilot.

I swear that there's something wrong with people that are unhappy because of the lack of pre-rendered scenes in ff13-2, these movies are supposed to be few in quantity but well place for proper dramatic effect, not every damn 5 minutes like in ff13. It's a waste of disc space, nothing more.

While some may say that trouble for the series started after ff7, that may be true. Despite that, all the final fantasy games 1 through 9 revolved around a specific gameplay mechanic that was ideal for the series. Starting with ff10 SE began experimenting. While the changes made in ff10 were irritating yet acceptable (no open world exploration, linear gameplay at times, good characters mixed with bad ones) the things done in the later installments clearly shows that SE has lost its way with the series. It's no wonder to me that ff13-2 isn't getting stellar reviews, it tries to improve by giving exploration, NPC's and sidequests when the problem is the world that was created for the main game and the sequel. It's story is fundamentally flawed and dramatically boring.

Honestly i put the blame on SE letting Sakaguchi, the original FF creator, go to make his own company. No matter how you slice it The Last Story looks and feels more like a Final Fantasy game than the crap that SE is dishing out.

Scary thing is, I don't think the last scentence of the bolded is true. When they announced it as multiplat in 2008, the devs had made a load of art assets, models, videos and had a non-finalised multi-platform engine (probably a script and the majority of Japanese voice acting too). They only started to create a coherent game for the April 2009 demo that was to be bundled with Advent Children Complete in Japan. The game came out in December that year so they probably had about 1-1.5 years to actually create a game out of the assests they had. 

By the sound of things the cut content was more due to a lack of vision, poor management and poor efficiency meaning a lot of work was created that was essentially redundant when it came to actually building the game. I doubt any of the cut content was due to the 360; sounds like development hell regardless of platform.

Around the Network

While I do believe that FF XIII was held to a higher standard because of its brand name, I highly doubt that it being sold on the 360 had anything with it being less innovative or intriguing. I personally enjoyed XIII for the most part, except for some of the voice acting. As several people said before me in this post, gaming has changed dramatically this gen, especially in the west. If FF XIII was developed last gen, I have no doubt that it would have had nearly perfect scores. The standard has become so high now because we have all be spoiled by so many great games it is hard for a game like XIII not to get criticized.

Check out my video game music blog:

http://games-and-guitars.synergize.co/

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PLAYSTATION 3 : RPG FAN CLUB

He who hesitates is lost

Not at all. Square Enix's lack of any sense of direction is what damages their brands.

One wonders if, one day soon, the Eidos people will control Square Enix. For now, they seem to be the ones with their heads on their collective shoulders.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

rccsetzer said:
Nem said:
No. Its a ridiculous assumption.

The game was already well in development when they decided to PORT it to the Xbox 360.

Its all Sqaure-enix's fault and sad allocation of resources and design decisions.

Some points used for speculation

1.Much of the content for Final Fantasy XIII was cut.

2.They used the cut content to develop Final Fantasy XIII-2 and so on.

3.Square never released a game with more than 4 discs.

4.What happened with  Nautilus mini games? Who played the game knows what i am talking about.

5.This was published before the game release:

http://www.destructoid.com/final-fantasy-xiii-deleted-a-full-game-s-worth-of-stuff-160357.phtml

EDIT: 6. how to make a HD game with backtracking (returning to initial locations) spanning multiple DVD disks?

I suppose given that the HD games shift the balance of where disc-space gets chewed up might make my comment irrelevant, but i do recall the original GC Tales of Symphonia doing backtracking quite fine. It was only story-critical events (cutscenes, voice-acting, perhaps some bosses and such) that were discretely kept on one disc or another

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

I blame Wii Fit

OT: It's obviously the 360's fault. Didn't you see what it has done to Final Fantasy XIV ? How come the console is not in jail yet ?

Around the Network

Final Fantasy hasnt been on a stellar level since Sakaguchi left and SE's business decisions get worse and worse. The 360 isnt to blame. Not only are their decisions bad for the series but their Japanese support is horrible.

Areym said:
Hmmm, I will agree that FFXIII got a big western push in its design, especially picking those awful songs from that one chick......leona lewis something something. Any who, I wouldn't blame the 360 entirely. I liked the game a lot. IN FACT, I just finished the game an hour ago after a long hiatus/break from it. The game was what it was. If you think it was awesome (like me), thank Square Enix. If it was the worst piece of shit you ever played, blame Square Enix.

I see a lot of fans of FF13 saying this and I always have to ask. How awesome can a game be if you felt the need to take a long hiatus from it? 

I did the exact same thing and while I enjoyed going back to it that was mostly because I had already slogged through 14 hours of utter banality. I can in fact see from my achievements in the game. 12th of March 2010 then the next one I get is 8th of June 2011. The only Jrpg ever where I felt the need to stop playing in the middle of the story. 

Also rccsetzer there are quite a few HD games with multiple discs that do backtracking. It is incredibly simple. Either you divide the world map into 2 loading areas. Or as is more often the case having backtracking isn't an issue at all. As it is the story related scenes that take up so much space. Take a look at FF13 and 13-2. With 13 they needed 3 discs, the main reason simply being because of the vast amount of FMVs. Whereas 13-2 which has far more backtracking fits on one disc. Also remember that the early disc based FF games had backtracking and were across multiple CDs. 

Had they wanted they could easily have gone to 4 DVDs for the 360 version. Lost Odyssey had 4. 

The problems with the FF series are entirely creative related. It will be very interesting to see if they stick with the same team for FF15. I hope they finally realise that  having the director of 10-2, 13 and 13-2 in charge is perhaps not a great idea. In fact just give the next FF game to Tri-ace and watch them make an amazing game.

Turkish says and I'm allowed to quote that: Uncharted 3 and God Of War 3 look better than Unreal Engine 4 games will or the tech demo does. Also the Naughty Dog PS3 ENGINE PLAYS better than the UE4 ENGINE.

360 gamers have good taste and they didnt bought FF 13 neither 13-2.

Games are bad i dont know wich Ps3 players are buying that bs.

Argh_College said:
360 gamers have good taste and they didnt bought FF 13 neither 13-2.

Games are bad i dont know wich Ps3 players are buying that bs.

360 gamers werent expected to even give a JRPG decent sales because the highest JRPG before that point was was 800k for Lost Odyssey. They gave Final Fantasy over a million, so they silenced a lot of critics, id say.

FF: The Spirits Within did a helluvalot more to damage to the FF brand. XIII being on the 360 because PS3's install base wasn't enough at the time was just the icing on the cake.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.