By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Did the Xbox 360 indirectly damage the Final Fantasy brand?

Tagged games:

No, just no.

The Final Fatasy brand has been in a downward spiral for years. If FFXIII was bad because they changed and catered to Western audiences, then why was FFXIV so bad for refusing to cater to Western audiences?

The FF series is damaged because huge budget JRPGs just don't work on consoles anymore. Even low budget JRPGs on consoles don't really work anymore. I'm not saying they're all bad, they just cost too much to make for something that most people don't want.

Even on portable consoles where traditional JRPGs make sense, those are making less sense these days because Dedicated portable consoles are on their way out.

Around the Network
zhao3gold said:
XBOX360 didn't damage FF. Please stop this kind of stupid and pointless treads.

Pretty much this the only thing that caused  FF 13 to be bad was developers for making a boring and just really bad game. I don't understand how the Xbox 360 had anything to do with it I played some of the FF13 game and it was just everything about it that made it suck I think it's because so many great developers left Square enix like the guy who created mistwalker.

Like some people here have said FF14 is not on the Xbox 360 yet it sucks bad. The only thing that damaged the brand was the game itself it has no one to blame but itself. Honestly I think it's just japanese developers that just really have lagged behind western developer this gen not all japanese developers but the majority of them just seem to make crappy outdated games. It definitely wasn't the 360 hardware that was holding it back when you see games like skyrim and even JRPG's like Lost Odyssey that are way way better than FF13.

deskpro2k3 said:
kain_kusanagi said:
theprof00 said:
kain_kusanagi said:
Oh, give me a break.

FF13 was not designed to appeal to western gamers. Look at western RPGs, they are big, open worlds with true freedom. FF and most JRPGs have false freedom and restricted worlds even if it feels open ended. If anything FF13 was designed to more appeal to Japanese gamers tastes by focuses on character development, story, and turn based battles. Oh and let's not forget cinematic flare, something western RPGs tend to sacrifice for expanding world detail and freedom. If it had been designed with western gamers in mind it would have featured real time combat, an optional first person mode, and a character designer.

Oh and the game was worked on as a PS3 exclusive for nearly all of it's development process. It wasn't until the game was nearly finished and they had already cut what they were going to cut and already had finalized what they were going to put in that the game was hastily ported to the 360. The 360 and the western market was an after thought. In fact I'd be willing to bet that the game was basically finished and was delayed for the port because Microsoft has a rule that all multiplatform games must be released on the same day or before other versions unless they contain extra features. FF13 was designed for Japan then localized and ported. That is all. It would have been the same game had it been PS3 exclusive and only released in Japan.

This is a blatant lie.

ff13 was actually primarily developed for ps2, which is why it was in development for so long, which is why it had to be multi-plat to recoup the dev losses, which is why there is an ff13-2, which is why versus is taking forever because they are trying to recoup losses with the same game that nobody really wants (well, I like it but still).

Also, I was just joking when I said it was a blatant lie.

Whether you were joking or not I don't care. What I said was "...the game was worked on as a PS3 exclusive for NEARLY all of it's development process."

Starting development as a PS2 game really doesn't matter since it would have, at that time, been a PS2 exclusive before moving to a PS3 exclusive before right at the end getting ported to 360. If anything it's further proof that the 360 had nothing to do with the fanboy complaints of FF13 because the 360 wasn't on the market when the game was outlined.

Your right about why it was moved to multiplatform. At this point in the industry it's just plain stupid for 3rd parties to make exclusive games without deals with the platform holders. FFversus13 should be multiplatform as well, and I expect it will be. Once a dev has a multiplatform engine, making an exclusive is like refusing money.

To Square Enix It was a "good business decision" 

Who knows how many dollars MS throw at SE to get the game multiplat, and how much marketing they spent on it. SE already admit that they cut a few content out from FFXIII. The thing is, we may never know the truth but I asure you, MS will not accept a maltiplat game that is superior in content on the competition, so it must be the same.

Of course it was a good business decision. 3rd party multiplatform games are always a good business decision. It would be incredibly stupid for Square to ignore the huge Xbox 360 market. Even if it sells better on PS3 due to the loyal FF fanbase it has, there's tons of money to grab from 360 users.

Square cut tons from the game, they cut stuff from every game they've ever made. All developers have to cut stuff and it usually has nothing to do with storage space. It comes down to time and money. It's easy to write an outline for a game with everything you'd ever want it to have, but it's another thing to make all that stuff. Eventually you start having to drop stuff because you don't have the time or money to build it all. Sometimes you build some of it and have to cut it because it won't work without even more stuff built on top to fit it in with the rest of the game. Square had basically finished the game before they decided to port it. The game had already become "linier" and had everything trimmed that was going to get cut. The port to 360 was quick, dirty, and a total afterthought.

Yes, MS has a rule that no game can have more content on competing platforms unless it releases first as a timed exclusive on the 360. Yes, Square and Microsoft penned some kind of deal to make the port happen. That's probably why the game was delayed for PS3 while it was ported to 360 instead of having to add special content for the 360 version.

Like you say, we may never know the details. But, there are still people who think MS paid Square to ruin FF13 so it would fit on 3 DVDs. It's crazy, but fanboys can be irrational sometimes, or most of the time.

deskpro2k3 said:
To Square Enix It was a "good business decision" 

Who knows how many dollars MS throw at SE to get the game multiplat, and how much marketing they spent on it. SE already admit that they cut a few content out from FFXIII. The thing is, we may never know the truth but I asure you, MS will not accept a maltiplat game that is superior in content on the competition, so it must be the same.

Mortal Kombat and Portal 2 would like to have a word with you.

I think its right to say that if FF release had been PS exclusive than it would have been better quality wise......but bieng multiplatform required it to be more adapted to xbox and its users .....where what they shoul've done was to make it more diverse in playability and keeping the overall quality intat...what they did was loose track of the overall qaulity including graphics.....and the diversity wasn't much visible either......

free online stick games, play stick game, stick shooting games
music games, best music games, free games music

Around the Network

Hmmm, I will agree that FFXIII got a big western push in its design, especially picking those awful songs from that one chick......leona lewis something something. Any who, I wouldn't blame the 360 entirely. I liked the game a lot. IN FACT, I just finished the game an hour ago after a long hiatus/break from it. The game was what it was. If you think it was awesome (like me), thank Square Enix. If it was the worst piece of shit you ever played, blame Square Enix.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

I'm gonna turn the tables on this thread and say that it was not the 360, but in fact the PS3 that damaged the Final Fantasy brand.

Before the PS3 was released, the FF series was always exclusive to one company's home consoles... I-VI for Nintendo, and VII-XII for Sony. One of the main reasons for the games being released on specific systems was that each of those systems just so happened to be the WW market leaders at the time, so naturally if Square was going to put out exclusive games in its flagship series, it wanted to make sure they were released on the console with the biggest install base or the most positive outlook.

Then came the PS3. Sony dropped the ball at launch and lost nearly all the momentum and market share they had gained from the previous generation. In everywhere else but Japan, Sony went from 1st to 3rd and were forced to play catchup to not only the Wii but also the 360, which was the leading HD console in the Americas and Europe. This huge swing in marketshare among the big 3 console manufacturers, along with the skyrocketing development costs of HD games, forces Square to take a second look at keeping their biggest series exclusive to just one console, and they eventually decided to hedge their bets and release a 360 version of XIII in territories where it was leading the PS3.

Had Sony not bungled the launch of the PS3 and lost all that momentum, FFXIII would have most likely stayed exclusive, and you all would be looking for some other excuse as to why it sucked and why the brand has lost its luster over the past 5 years or so.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Nah.
Everyone lost with XIII.

Edit: Almost everyone.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

NightDragon83 said:
I'm gonna turn the tables on this thread and say that it was not the 360, but in fact the PS3 that damaged the Final Fantasy brand.

Before the PS3 was released, the FF series was always exclusive to one company's home consoles... I-VI for Nintendo, and VII-XII for Sony. One of the main reasons for the games being released on specific systems was that each of those systems just so happened to be the WW market leaders at the time, so naturally if Square was going to put out exclusive games in its flagship series, it wanted to make sure they were released on the console with the biggest install base or the most positive outlook.

Then came the PS3. Sony dropped the ball at launch and lost nearly all the momentum and market share they had gained from the previous generation. In everywhere else but Japan, Sony went from 1st to 3rd and were forced to play catchup to not only the Wii but also the 360, which was the leading HD console in the Americas and Europe. This huge swing in marketshare among the big 3 console manufacturers, along with the skyrocketing development costs of HD games, forces Square to take a second look at keeping their biggest series exclusive to just one console, and they eventually decided to hedge their bets and release a 360 version of XIII in territories where it was leading the PS3.

Had Sony not bungled the launch of the PS3 and lost all that momentum, FFXIII would have most likely stayed exclusive, and you all would be looking for some other excuse as to why it sucked and why the brand has lost its luster over the past 5 years or so.

Yep. Square made FF13 the way it is way before they decided to port it to Xbox 360. Anything cut was cut for PS3, anything that the fans say sucks sucked on PS3, then it was ported to Xbox 360. Who started the myth that the Xbox 360 broke FF13?

phineusbright247 said:

I think its right to say that if FF release had been PS exclusive than it would have been better quality wise......but bieng multiplatform required it to be more adapted to xbox and its users .....where what they shoul've done was to make it more diverse in playability and keeping the overall quality intat...what they did was loose track of the overall qaulity including graphics.....and the diversity wasn't much visible either......

free online stick games, play stick game, stick shooting games
music games, best music games, free games music

The truth is FF13 was in development on as a PS3 exclusive for nearly all of it's dev time. The game was finalised and nearly finished as a PS3 exclusive. Square had already cut what they were going to cut before the game was hastily ported to the 360. How could they fundimentaly change a game in the months porting it to Xbox 360?